• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

4x12 comparison with JMP: Greenback vs T75 vs G12-65 cabs

• Thread starter LPman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
What I'm looking at are 75hz ones with the white label.

So these K85s are 100W speakers, correct? Theoretically the "only" difference between these '80s K85s and the later K100s is that the older set should sound nicely broken-in and obviously they are well-made UK speakers, right?

If they are really between the early T75s and the G12Ms in tonal characteristics, I'm absolutely sold on these speakers. How come they were mainly put in Peavey cabs instead of being stock offerings in Marshalls?
There are one or 2 comments from guys that say
the 100s are different, while having a slightly bigger magnet. The 85s have 50oz magnets already.

Maybe Peavey used them for business reasons.
Celestion had to provide Marshall with the 75s already, so the 85s for Peavey. Maybe they struck a good deal.

Or the Peavey staff auditioned the speakers and
found the 85s more bold sounding, or louder.

So, they are 1777.:yesway:

LPman

Reaction score
There are one or 2 comments from guys that say
the 100s are different, while having a slightly bigger magnet. The 85s have 50oz magnets already.

Maybe Peavey used them for business reasons.
Celestion had to provide Marshall with the 75s already, so the 85s for Peavey. Maybe they struck a good deal.

Or the Peavey staff auditioned the speakers and
found the 85s more bold sounding, or louder.

So, they are 1777.:yesway:

Appreciate all the infos!

If I make the conversion to dollars, I can get the whole set of 4 speakers for 200 USD plus shipping. For this price I think they worth a try. If the big tight bottom-end is there what I heard in the T-75s plus the added vintage quality in the midrange and highs, they could potentially be what I'm looking for. If they turn out to not be keepers, I'm sure I can sell them for the same amount even though they are not that well-known in my area.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
You will be hard pressed to find better 12inch UK Celestions for 50 a pop + 20 bux shipping.

On the pics they look rather clean and healthy.

But better ask the seller again explicitly if they
are 100 percent in workingorder.

Let him check for voicecoil rub. But those speakers usually wont have this.

Go for it, as you say, you can sell them again
without taking a hit, or if your lucky you might find a trade offer, your 4 85s against 8 75s.;)

Burk

Reaction score
We came together for a jam session and tried various amps and cabs. There was my '74 cab with the 6402 Greenbacks, a '90s JCM 900 cab with T75s and a mid-2000s 1960 cab with T75s. All slanted. I plugged in my old JMP 50.

I know my Greenback cab very well and I like it. I never liked T75 cabs but I was totally blown away by this particular JCM 900 cab. Insane note separation, crazy and huge tight lows compared to my Greenback cab and it wasn't thin on the highs at all. The amp was of course cranked. Interestingly the other (mid-2000s) T75 cab sounded weak and nothing like the '90s JCM 900 cab.

Now of course I want a T75 cab for my old JMP. Or thinking about putting Heritage G12-65 speakers in my '74 cab because new T75s won't sound like those '90s one in my friend's cab I'm sure. Would the new G12-65s sound as tight as those T75s? A little more midrange and rolled-off highs does not bother me at all. Don't know exactly what route should I choose, I just know I want that clear and tight sound for my JMP. The Greenbacks distort too much and the lows are not big and tight enough for me.
I had some 75’s in a 1936, replaced them with some older GK-85’s (reminds me of a warmer EV)….went with a pair of heritage 65’s a year ago and love them. I’m running a 2015 2203X……I’m not sure if it’s a darker amp (completely stock)…..but the 65’s really darken it up to where I’m running presence at 5, bass, mids & treble at 7 (and it’s still dark)….love those speakers !

GIBSON67

Reaction score
^^^Marshall Labelled 80's, some of the best IMHO. Hit me up if reasonably priced, thanks.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
We came together for a jam session and tried various amps and cabs. There was my '74 cab with the 6402 Greenbacks, a '90s JCM 900 cab with T75s and a mid-2000s 1960 cab with T75s. All slanted. I plugged in my old JMP 50.

I know my Greenback cab very well and I like it. I never liked T75 cabs but I was totally blown away by this particular JCM 900 cab. Insane note separation, crazy and huge tight lows compared to my Greenback cab and it wasn't thin on the highs at all. The amp was of course cranked. Interestingly the other (mid-2000s) T75 cab sounded weak and nothing like the '90s JCM 900 cab.

Now of course I want a T75 cab for my old JMP. Or thinking about putting Heritage G12-65 speakers in my '74 cab because new T75s won't sound like those '90s one in my friend's cab I'm sure. Would the new G12-65s sound as tight as those T75s? A little more midrange and rolled-off highs does not bother me at all. Don't know exactly what route should I choose, I just know I want that clear and tight sound for my JMP. The Greenbacks distort too much and the lows are not big and tight enough for me.
You havent tried creamback 65, thats where its at. :yesway: