4x15 Marshall Cabinet Vintage Celestion Greenbacks

• Thread starter 15cab
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

15cab

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am selling this Marshall 4x15 for a relative. I'm not sure of it's value, though I know that the vintage greenbacks (in great shape!) are valuable. I'm not sure of the model number, but it was bought in the 70's. The tolex is beat up, but the cabinet itself is in goodshape. The grille cloth isn't too bad.

The speakers are in great shape.

Photos here... https://www.flickr.com/photos/4trackbeam/with/24143749699/

I'm assuming that the buyer will want to pick it up, but some kind of shipping might be worked out. It's located in Buffalo NY.

I don't have a set price, but more trying to get an idea of it's value, and get some offers. I thought it would be best to offer it up on a Marshall site, so aficionados could have first chance at it. If no one here is interested, I will try Ebay.

Last edited:

KA107

Reaction score
The greenbacks are 15's not 12's.
Depends on who you talk to as to if the magnets will fit on other cages and cones.

Please post a close up of the tag.

$400 plus shipping.

SG~GUY

Reaction score
-I'd buy it for $400+shipping

15cab

Reaction score
The greenbacks are 15's not 12's.
Depends on who you talk to as to if the magnets will fit on other cages and cones.

Please post a close up of the tag.

$400 plus shipping.

Not sure what about "4x15 Marshall Cabinet" led you to believe that the speakers would be 12".

As for the $400...nice try.

I might just part it out, which I hate seeing done to good vintage equipment.

If someone wants to make a serious offer, message me. Thanks

Reactions: Pav

Ghostman

Reaction score
Not sure what about "4x15 Marshall Cabinet" led you to believe that the speakers would be 12".

As for the $400...nice try.

I might just part it out, which I hate seeing done to good vintage equipment.

If someone wants to make a serious offer, message me. Thanks

I thought $400 was serious. If it's so far off, post up a general ball park.

Serious Sellers provide info to sell.

:wave:

bigbadorange

Reaction score
Hmmm. Tough question. I don't believe that marshall bass cabs are particularly desirable. Other then Lemmy, I think marshall bass equipment is generally looked down upon by bass players. Cool cab and vintage, but its pretty much a VERY niche cab. Could be worth more than $400 but you Need to find a bass player that uses and wants a marshall vintage bass cab and that may take quite a long time. :wave:

15cab

Reaction score
I thought $400 was serious. If it's so far off, post up a general ball park.

Serious Sellers provide info to sell.

:wave:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Celest...098884?hash=item4d3b85b004:g:eU8AAOSwLzdWS~WL

I'm not sure of the value of the speakers, but they are certainly worth more than $100 apiece. I know there are other variables, and that the speakers I'm selling aren't the same, there is less demand for 15" speakers, etc.

I'm still accruing information about them, but I guess this ad only attracted people trying to lowball. It's cool, everyone wants to get the best deal possible.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Ghostman

Reaction score
I'm still accruing information about them, but I guess this ad only attracted people trying to lowball. It's cool, everyone wants to get the best deal possible.

If you don't provide a price, or at least an OBO price, you are going to get low ball offers. Every. Single. Time.

Good luck with the sale.

:io:

15cab

Reaction score
If you don't provide a price, or at least an OBO price, you are going to get low ball offers. Every. Single. Time.

Good luck with the sale.

:io:

Well, as I stated in the opening post, I was as much trying to get information, and an idea of it's value, as I was trying to get an offer.

I felt there might be a chance someone on a Marshall Board had been seeking this cabinet, and I would make it available to them first, before putting it up on Ebay, or parting it out. If there isn't anyone here that fits that description, it's cool. I'm not out to gouge anyone, I'm actually selling it as a favor to my relative, and won't make much from any sale.

At least we agree that it was a lowball offer!

15cab

Reaction score
Hmmm. Tough question. I don't believe that marshall bass cabs are particularly desirable. Other then Lemmy, I think marshall bass equipment is generally looked down upon by bass players. Cool cab and vintage, but its pretty much a VERY niche cab. Could be worth more than $400 but you Need to find a bass player that uses and wants a marshall vintage bass cab and that may take quite a long time. :wave:

Thanks for the assessment. I realize it has limited appeal. I have time though, it's not mine, and it's been sitting unused in storage for 30 years. Too bad I can't offer it to Lemmy!

SG~GUY

Reaction score
-yes, what do you want for it?-

-that's along time to sit unused, have ya tried it out?

KA107

Reaction score
Without the tag, i cant tell you what it is, or what its worth.
I am going to give you a generalized price.

The greenback 15 magnet wont fit the regular greenback 12m.
Notice the spiderweb cage?
Also, the greenback 15 is a 50 watt.
You didnt list serials, so....

Get ready for the fun part, that will really start the arguing.

Marshall made many 4x15 models.
We all know the 1979 a and b.
Then there is the bathtub 1984 (definitely not what you have)
The bathtubs are the ones worth big bucks thanks to SRV.
Yes, I know there is also a1984 bass cab that is a 4x12.
There is also a major 4x15.
Then we have the odd balls.
This is what i think you have.
There is a 1980, and a 1982.
One is a keyboard 4x15, and one is a P.A. 4x15.
I can see plastic handles, gold piping, football serial plate, and no jack cup.

You dont have a holy grail 1960b, or 1960bx.
You have a big boat anchor in poor shape that someone has done a crappy re-wire job on.
Take it to guitar center and they MAY offer $300.

Give more info, and maybe ill offer more.
Part it out, $100 for the cab.

Clammy

Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Celest...098884?hash=item4d3b85b004:g:eU8AAOSwLzdWS~WL

I'm not sure of the value of the speakers, but they are certainly worth more than $100 apiece. I know there are other variables, and that the speakers I'm selling aren't the same, there is less demand for 15" speakers, etc.

You really can't compare vintage, very collectible, G12M Greenbacks with your 15s. They just aren't in demand or collectible. It's a cool cab, though. Looks to be a Model 1979B.

Cheers!
:hbang::hbang::hbang:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Polvo

Reaction score
Johan Segeborn (YouTube) plays through one with his 77 JMP 2204 and it sounds amazing. I've been wanting one for a long time, as they don't come up for sale that often.
The wiring isn't that bad... Hold out probably get around 500 is my guess, just wait for the right buyer and the right time.
I don't think it will appeal to many bass players though, but man, they sure sound good with an old Marshall guitar amp

Trigger

Reaction score
Hello,
I currently have a Marshall 4x15 B cabinet. Is yours still available ?

Trigger

Reaction score
Johan Segeborn (YouTube) plays through one with his 77 JMP 2204 and it sounds amazing. I've been wanting one for a long time, as they don't come up for sale that often.
The wiring isn't that bad... Hold out probably get around 500 is my guess, just wait for the right buyer and the right time.
I don't think it will appeal to many bass players though, but man, they sure sound good with an old Marshall guitar amp
I used to use a 64 Gibson Thunderbird IV with a 4x15 Marshall stack and a 200 watt Marshall Major head. I really loved the punch I could get out of it. ! I just wish I could find another 4x15 A cabinet... I don't care what condition it's in.

Latest posts