6100 vs DSL

• Thread starter Neptical
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian R

Reaction score
The 6100 is one Marshall I have yet to experience. One day I will have to try and buy one. Until then I will continue to jam out my DSLs. (2000 series with different trannys and a choke) I've owned just about every Marshall head ever made.. including a JVM, Jube, and a couple 2203xers... the DSL 100 modded the way I have modded them is easily the best for my ears and needs. Their misunderstood by many, and for good reason.. their build quality is not great, but with a few corrections, including good quality tubes, biased right.. their great, old school sounding amps.. Love some of the options...deep switch..is useful.. You can ALWAYS get the low end you need...regardless of room dynamics, differing guitar dynamics..power dynamics..etc.. Luv the 2 channel architecture...for a killer solo boost. There is no single channel Marshall that can touch it for that approach! The best compromise between old school Marshall voicing and feel, and extra flexibility.

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
'Sup Marshall Fam!

What's the general consensus on the 6100 head vs the DSL50 or 100? <---- I have both. Wicked stoked on both of these and really...I don't need anymore amps so please convince me why I actually do! :cool:

Between some 3310s and a 3315 showing up at my door, I really feel like I need a change. Lol! So, seems like the 6100 is the Swiss Army knife that I'm missing and if so, I'm missing out and you know what that means. :lol:

Help me out, fam. Haha!
Get the 6100, you can always sell it for what you paid or more. :yesway:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
My dsl100h , my tech friends back n forth modded it, using killer 800's & jmp's for comparison & tweaking values ...,& we made it 4 separate channels. & its dead quiet & the gain sweep is usable all the way on Ultra & we set green up as NMV..in a way we detuned iit.sent the 6100 packing

its its own beast ,am way up for the a/b if anybody wants to come to the studio..lets go..
Sounds like you've got your perfect amp (modded DSL). My personal experience, I've modded both my DSL100H and my 6100, and I prefer the modded 6100 by a mile. With it's independent preamp channels, it's perfect for modding, as changes to one channel do not affect the others. With the DSL, the Classic and Ultra channels share tube stages and circuitry, definitely not as mod-friendly. The 6100 really doesn't need modding to sound good, but I just wanted a few things "slightly" tweaked.

Last edited:

BftGibson

Reaction score
Sounds like you've got your perfect amp (modded DSL). My personal experience, I've modded both my DSL100H and my 6100, and I prefer the modded 6100 by a mile. With it's independent preamp channels, it's perfect for modding, as changes to one channel do not affect the others. With the DSL, the Classic and Ultra channels share tube stages and circuitry, definitely not as mod-friendly. The 6100 really doesn't need modding to sound good, but I just wanted a few things "slightly" tweaked.
We had fun with the 100h. passed it around. Started out kinda as a joke cause of all the bashing we always hear on it.What the thought was..treat it as 4 modes..sorta like the 6100. between us all..we have most everything marshall has made...a whole lotta value tracking was done over the years with these guys,

None of us really do the channel switcher thing live..that approach made not caring what happens with the shared EQ a factor. The clean channel really surprised us..sometimes have the Fender's on at same time..def can hang.

Classic green..set up like NMV
Ulltra Lead 1. like Chan 2 n the 6100..that thump(it does not hit as hard as 6100 but it does the move the air-not quite the chest
pound.which in turn.not bad for recording a deep tone at lower levels

Lead 2..reminds me of my SLX when the extra tube is kicked it

They are both great amps.. very happy with the DSL.

mad5066

Reaction score

What tweaks did you do to your 6100, I'm curious. Thanks!

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
What tweaks did you do to your 6100, I'm curious. Thanks!
More gain on Classic channel, less of a jump between Classic and Crunch channels. Slightly reduced gain and some tone shaping on the Lead channel, not as thin as stock. Can't really remember much else, without finding the schematic, all easily reversible.

67mike

Reaction score
I passed up a 6100 few years back....studio guy selling it for 750....read horror stories about reliability and difficulty/lack of replacement parts....so I was scared off.

I will keep an eye open for one I guess.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
More gain on Classic channel, less of a jump between Classic and Crunch channels. Slightly reduced gain and some tone shaping on the Lead channel, not as thin as stock. Can't really remember much else, without finding the schematic, all easily reversible.

I'd love to know what you did to your 3rd channel , as this has always been my lease fave thing about the 6100 . The rest of this amp is Stellar !!!!

anitoli

Reaction score
I passed up a 6100 few years back....studio guy selling it for 750....read horror stories about reliability and difficulty/lack of replacement parts....so I was scared off.

The only problematic part is the UVEPROM and not because of the part but the program. I have them so it's not an issue.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score

Mostly BS imo ...
They did however suffer some problems with the MIDI board and EPROM failures .
The rest of the amp is straight forward KILLER Marshall !!

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I'd love to know what you did to your 3rd channel , as this has always been my lease fave thing about the 6100 . The rest of this amp is Stellar !!!!
I'll have to look for the schematic, and see if I marked it up.

alexhenebury

Reaction score
Hi , i have a 6100 el34. Im very keen to know what you did to reduce gain on channel 3 , make it less thin if you can help

WellBurnTheSky

Reaction score
Figures. My roommate had one back in the mid 90s which I borrowed frequently for gigs, and these were my exact gripes about the 6100. I ended up wishing the 3 modes of channel 2 were the 3 channels, would have given a bit less tonal variations but would have sounded much more cohesive IMHO. Modes 2 and 3 of Crunch channel were stellar though (for a channel switcher, that is).

rickc

Reaction score
If ever an amp could be called sexy.... My 92 brass #459 of 800 out of its case for some basic maintenance:
57IVRCl.jpg

dressed:

xnob0nk.jpg

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
When you get what you’re after by modding, that is priceless..
Cheers