6101 Combo line input question

• Thread starter brian_mk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

brian_mk

Reaction score
The other day I hooked up my 30th Anniv. Combo 6101 amp's line input to the headphone jack on a CD player.
This is something I have never tried before.
It sounded pretty awesome when playing Nirvana's 'nevermind' with the input level wound up.
The level was enough to make the windows rattle in my small living room but not enough to clip or result in obvious distortion.

I was wondering if it is possible to cause damage to either the amp or speaker if the line input level is too high?
Could something eventually overheat?
When line input is selected, the volume and tone controls on the amp have no effect so I assume the signal feeds directly to the valve power amp stage.
Am I right in thinking that if the input level was excessive the amp would simply clip and distort without doing any real damage?

Mike_LA

Reaction score
100 watts running with no distortion is good.
The sound should tell you if it's wrong. With the exception of speakers, they can sound good pushed too far but not ok if they are not rated for the power applied.

anitoli

Reaction score
The op amps used in that section of the circuit are LM384N type. You would really need to be abusing them to damage it from putting music through it.
If you start hearing that nasty SS clipping back the input down.