69 Firebird 400 Restoration Thread...

• Thread starter Scumback Speakers
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
Gee, it's only been 3 years since I updated this thread. The restoration of the Bird is nearly complete. New paint, rear TA spoiler added. Right now the engine is finished...800 CFM Quadra-Jet, Performer RPM intake, KRE aluminum D-Port racing heads (62cc fas burn combustion chambers), Crower flat tappet hydraulic cam, Comp Cams Magnum roller tip rockers with Comp pushrods, Ram Air Exhaust Long Branch Manifolds (basically shorty headers), Global West upper control arms, Wilwood front disc brakes, Power Stop rear drum brakes, new A/C compressor, K&N air filter, Retro Sound Blue Tooth radio with USB, Iphone, AM/FM, streaming and Series hookups. When I get it back I'll post updated pics...supposed to be tomorrow...crossing my fingers.

Attachments

• IMG_3204.jpeg
    IMG_3204.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 8
  • wilwood1.jpg
    wilwood1.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 8
  • wilwood2.jpg
    wilwood2.jpg
    687.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

junk notes

Reaction score
Gee, it's only been 3 years since I updated this thread. The restoration of the Bird is nearly complete. New paint, rear TA spoiler added. Right now the engine is finished...850 CFM Quadra-Jet, Performer RPM intake, KRE aluminum D-Port racing heads (62cc fas burn combustion chambers), Crower flat tappet hydraulic cam, Comp Cams Magnum roller tip rockers with Comp pushrods, Ram Air Exhaust Long Branch Manifolds (basically shorty headers), Global West upper control arms, Wilwood front disc brakes, Power Stop rear drum brakes, new A/C compressor, K&N air filter, Retro Sound Blue Tooth radio with USB, Iphone, AM/FM, streaming and Series hookups. When I get it back I'll post updated pics...supposed to be tomorrow...crossing my fingers.
Thanks for the update! Looking forward to more images!

I am a huge fan of the 68!
1968-pontiac-firebird

f6a810e023a035086b6ce6e356ea6038--the-unique-features-of.jpg

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score

Dblgun

Reaction score
Twenty years ago I did quite a bit of Pontiac engine work for some Nostalgia Super Stock cars primarily 421 Super Duty based 62-63 light weight Catalinas. Glad you're enjoying your Firebird and the 400.

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
The crazy part is that secondaries weren't kicking in due to a special linkage part being needed for the Holley 750 with the 2004r OD tranny. The Q-jet already had the throttle body modded to work with it.

So...either I started shattering those gears a long time ago, or my 2BBL 400 has way more torque than I thought. Sigh...good thing sales are strong and I moved to AZ where it's much cheaper to live than SoCal.

Seriously though, I'd just like to have it all working right so I can nail the gas pedal to the floor and get thrown back in the seat...kinda like I used to do. LOL