• Thread starter Codyjohns
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

john l

Reaction score
Turning into a mod 5 esque sorta thing with the 1 wire mod, larmar, and 220k LPF off the treble like that. Can't blame ya, not a bad spec at all. Have you messed with a cut control over variable presence yet. Works well with what you've got going on there.

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
Turning into a mod 5 esque sorta thing with the 1 wire mod, larmar, and 220k LPF off the treble like that. Can't blame ya, not a bad spec at all. Have you messed with a cut control over variable presence yet. Works well with what you've got going on there.

Mark was a very big influence on me, so it's no surprise the mod5 is a circuit I tend to gravitate towards.

I'm not familiar with the presence mod you're talking about, sounds very interesting. :hmm:

Mxzx

Reaction score
So if I followed the video correctly, these are the things you did for the mod:

1. Move wire from center term on Vol II to ground lug
2. Add wire from center term on Vol II to input resistor
3. Swap coupler caps, .0022 and .022
4. Mixer cap changed from 500 to 470
5. Remove bypass cap on V2a, jusst 820 resistor
6. Bypass cap on V1b 1u over 27k resistor.

Please ad anything I missed.

I does sound great, and i would like to try it on a PTP clone I have.

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
So if I followed the video correctly, these are the things you did for the mod:

1. Move wire from center term on Vol II to ground lug
2. Add wire from center term on Vol II to input resistor
3. Swap coupler caps, .0022 and .022
4. Mixer cap changed from 500 to 470
5. Remove bypass cap on V2a, jusst 820 resistor
6. Bypass cap on V1b 1u over 27k resistor.

Please ad anything I missed.

I does sound great, and i would like to try it on a PTP clone I have.

1. Move the wire from the center term on Vol. II over to the ground lug.
2. Add a wire from the center term on Vol II and join it to both 68K input resistors (where they join) on channel I.
3. Swap the couplers around, .0022uF and .022uF.
4. Mixer cap change from 500pF to 470pF.
5. Remove bypass cap on V2a and run just a 820r cathode.
6. Change bypass cap on V1b to a 1uF over 2.7K cathode resistor.
7. .68uF on the presence control.
8. 100k NFB on a 4ohms tap.
9. No bright cap on Vol I.
10. Lar/Mar PPIMV mod.
11. I like to use a 50pF fizz cap in most cases.
The rest of the circuit is stock Marshall Super Lead model # 1959.

john l

Reaction score
Mark was a very big influence on me, so it's no surprise the mod5 is a circuit I tend to gravitate towards.

I'm not familiar with the presence mod you're talking about, sounds very interesting. :hmm:

Give it a shot if you get bored and feel like tinkering sometime.
Remove your presence pot and come off the control side of the nfb resistor with a 4.7k and a .1uf cap in parallel to ground.
250k pot in old presence hole.
-Left lug gets a .002 and goes to the 100k PI plate (this cap is VERY open to change depending on the frequencies you want to ride)
-center wiper goes to the 82k PI plate

Your amp certainly isn't lacking anything but it's always fun trying new things! :D

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
Give it a shot if you get bored and feel like tinkering sometime.
Remove your presence pot and come off the control side of the nfb resistor with a 4.7k and a .1uf cap in parallel to ground.
250k pot in old presence hole.
-Left lug gets a .002 and goes to the 100k PI plate (this cap is VERY open to change depending on the frequencies you want to ride)
-center wiper goes to the 82k PI plate

Your amp certainly isn't lacking anything but it's always fun trying new things! :D

That's really cool John, thanks for the mod. :yesway:

I'm going to put this in my favorites. :yesway:

Hotrodd

Reaction score
I have a DSL100H, and I want to do this mod. Is it done the same way as on this amp? Are there any major differences between both amps as far as actually doing the job?

mott555

Reaction score
I don't believe a cascade mod even applies to a DSL.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
aren't the dsl's already casscaded? most high gain (or all) are aren't they?

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry I should have specified this.

The one wire mod is "only" for Super Lead and Super Bass circuits with a PPIMV installed.

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
I dialed in my personal tone preference with this beast, surprisingly versatile amp with these mods.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACwJkg8NQMk]Makin' some noise with my '76 Super Bass. (part3) - YouTube[/ame]

jd267

Reaction score
That's sounds great man! Great playing also

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright thanks for clarifying guys. Lol. Still new to amp modding.

i wasn't being sarcastic just to clarify that. but i am pretty sure that's how it all works.

but there are some FANTASTIC mods for the DSL right here. look for "the joey mods" section.

there's mods for the 100 (all versions other than the H so far i think) and then there's also a couple threads that have mods for the dsl40c and 15H i BELIEVE. i know a guy posted some mods for the 15H awhile back but it will take some digging. the joey mods thread should be a pretty easy search here though. it's a major proponent of this site since its inception. Joey (though another member posted the mods) is a brillient amp technician/ee guy but he doesn't come around anymore.

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
i wasn't being sarcastic just to clarify that. but i am pretty sure that's how it all works.

but there are some FANTASTIC mods for the DSL right here. look for "the joey mods" section.

there's mods for the 100 (all versions other than the H so far i think) and then there's also a couple threads that have mods for the dsl40c and 15H i BELIEVE. i know a guy posted some mods for the 15H awhile back but it will take some digging. the joey mods thread should be a pretty easy search here though. it's a major proponent of this site since its inception. Joey (though another member posted the mods) is a brillient amp technician/ee guy but he doesn't come around anymore.

Yeah, I already spoke with him in PM about the very same thing. :D
I gave him the link to Joey mods as well.

marshall1967

Reaction score
That's awesome my friend, I'm glad it work out for ya.

One of the things I like to do with the 2203/04 circuits with PPIMV is to add a 220K resistor for the treble to the master, It really smooths out the sound nicely.

Here's a diagram of the mod.

i finally did this mod,what a nice difference! :) thanks Michael for sharing this info, this amp is awesome!

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a little update. :D

I was messing around with the circuit tonight and changed the slope resistor from a 33k to a 47k, more focused and aggressive with the 47k.

I also bypassed the V2a cathode resistor (820r) with a .022uF yellow chicklet capacitor.
Surprisingly it sounds really good, very chewy and lots of rich harmonics added with these changes.:yesway: