6L6/5881 tube...more headroom

• Thread starter dashizzler
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dashizzler

Reaction score
Are there any brand power tubes that allow more headroom? Looking for later breakup in my SL-X. Don't ask me why, just experimenting with different tones. Using the JJ 6L6's right now. I read somewhere that he mesa white label or something allow more headroom or a late breakup groove tubes. Any thoughts?

Roadburn

Reaction score
I'm not known for my tuberolling knowledge. In fact, new tubes means bringing it to a tech so...

But you should look for militairy grade tubes.
Some brands have an M indicator, like EL34M by Sovtek.
Not sure how much more, but my latest EL84M (also a Sovtek) has ~20%-30% more headroom then a regular JJ.

here are 2 reviews of a range that you are looking for. (it's a store, so not sure if biased or not)
6L6 / 5881 / KT66 Tube Type Reviews

RussBert

Reaction score
It's the pre-amp that's distorting. The JJ's are fine and I doubt you'll find another 6L6GC that will give you more headroom.

Consider a 12AT7 phase inverter

slagg

Reaction score
I like RCA 6L6gc gray plates.They stay pretty clean til you really drive them.An earlier post might be right.could be preamp distortion.What Phase inverter tube are you using?As a side note,5881 tubes will breakup earlier then any 6L6.

dashizzler

Reaction score
I'm using AX7's. I'm sure it's preamp distortion. Don't get me wrong, it sounds good, just when I turn it up it sounds out of control. It's loud as f*** but it loses some of the character that it has at lower volumes. And when I say lower volumes, it's still pretty loud. I guess I'm just greedy. It sounds good in the band mix.

slagg

Reaction score
Try an NOS 5751 in the PI slot 30% less gain,but not as much as you would think.I call it the "Magic"tube.You'll still get the crunch when you want it.Go NOS tho.Modern productions are no were near as good.

slagg

Reaction score
thanks for posting.I've run the lower gain tube a few times.I guess it just needs to be cranked up more to compete with the ax7.I run all of my amps Dimed w/Dr Z Air Brake.I do not own an SL-X amp tho.Sounds like your not liking the Power tube breakup.Anyway I run with very little Preamp gain and all out Power tube saturation.
My amps;
Homebrew 5E3 head w/6L6/EL34 tubes
Homebrew JTM 50 head w/KT66 tubes
Ciriatone Express clone w/EL34 tubes
Bedrock BC 75 thingy w/EL34 tubes
The only amp I really use is the 5E3 head w/6L6's,just sounds right with my Strat..

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
JJ's hold up just fine and should give you as much inherent headroom as any other "brand" of 6L6 tube. 6L6's generally have more headroom than a 5881.

If you want more headroom (cleaner, with more punch) from your power section, try biasing the power tubes a bit cooler.

dashizzler

Reaction score
JJ's hold up just fine and should give you as much inherent headroom as any other "brand" of 6L6 tube. 6L6's generally have more headroom than a 5881.

If you want more headroom (cleaner, with more punch) from your power section, try biasing the power tubes a bit cooler.
Yeah, I thought that might be an option. How would the cooler biasing effect the volume or anything else for that matter? Besides the breakup...

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought that might be an option. How would the cooler biasing effect the volume or anything else for that matter? Besides the breakup...

You will can not effect the overall volume or output of the amp with the bias. As far as tone and signal are concerned, as long as you do not go too low (into crossover distortion), only the compression and headroom of the amp are effected. You can also extend the life of your power tubes with a cooler setting. If you are consistently running the master fairly high, this can have a pretty significant effect.

As mentioned above, you can also lower the gain of your preamp tubes by using a lower gain 12AX7, or switching to a 12AT7 or 12AU7.