• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

74 1960 Bottom Craigslist Buy

• Thread starter maxwedge
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

maxwedge

Reaction score
Just snagged me a nice 74 1960 bottom with original creambacks all dated May 9th 74. The cones look original to me and I've only found one mark on the back of the cones so far without removing the speakers but I haven't seen a mark like it in the publications I've seen. I'm wondering if they are 98700 cones or RIC cones with no markings but May of 74 seems too early for RIC from what I've been able to find so far. The solder joints look original so I don't think that the speakers have been out of the cab.

The guy I bought it from, bought it for resale from an estate sale in Oakland California and he has the top too but the creams were swapped out for G12-75T's! :erk:
It's clean but he has promised it to someone else.

vEHhYbN.jpg

NFbjghw.jpg

nvLV2Pq.jpg

maxwedge

Reaction score
The stacks are: left side top early 79 and bottom late 76. Right side top is a re-grilled 2000 AX with 78 Blackbacks and the new one is on the bottom.
The 2 heads are high $ clones that I built myself.

BygoneTones

Reaction score
May 74 is not too early for RIC cones, they appear around Aug 73. Creambacks from May 74 will likely either be 98700 cones or RIC cones. If they are unstamped they are likely RIC cones.

The RIC cones are pretty distinctive in both sound and appearance so fairly easy to spot in my opinion.

Either way that looks like a nice clean cab and should sound pretty awesome if the speakers are in good order.

maxwedge

Reaction score
Thanks, it sounds great.
The guy that I bought it from was convinced they are 98700 but I had my doubts and lean to RIC. What part of the cone do I look at to confirm RIC? All I have to compare with are my Blackbacks and 2000 reissue green backs and never seen a Plusonic up close.

maxwedge

Reaction score
The guy pulled out one before I bought it and sent me a photo of the front side. I can't tell if it's blue/gray or not for sure with out seeing with my own eyes. Looks black but???

5TORMGc.jpg

Markedman

Reaction score
I have a 1974 1960A with creamback speakers. Only 1 had a mark on the cones. R/C. I didn't know that some people think it's RIC, that's pretty funny to me, but I'm old. It is R/C for Rola/Celestion, I'll post pictures once I'm allowed, new guy here.

BygoneTones

Reaction score
Looks like a RIC cone to me from the photo. You'll need to check every speaker. Don't expect them all to be the same. They weren't bothered about having matching cone codes when building cabs, it is possible to find a mix of different cone types in there.

Not convinced about it meaning Rola /Celestion. There are other variations of that cone stamp used on other speakers. NIB is one of them, commonly found on 10" speakers. Does that one mean Nola Belestion? They might have started out with R/C in the early days (late 1940's) meaning Rola Celestion, and then adapted it when more cone types were introduced, but who knows for sure. Likely it is just a part number in my opinion with no significant meaning. 'JIL' is another one I have seen and 'ROB'. So, Jola Lelestion and Rola Belestion.

rfz5d2kkzkmjssee1tez.jpg

StingRay85

Reaction score
Thats a RIC cone for sure.

Cab looks great congrats. Ron would be happy his hard labour got preserved so well

Lights out

Reaction score
what year were RIC cones made? i believe i have a 72 GB with RIC cone stamp?

maxwedge

Reaction score
Looks like a RIC cone to me from the photo. You'll need to check every speaker. Don't expect them all to be the same. They weren't bothered about having matching cone codes when building cabs, it is possible to find a mix of different cone types in there.
I'm pretty sure you're right but I wasn't able to see much of the cones in the spider area being in the cab. I'm pulling the back off again tonight and am going to use a inspection camera to view the cones better without removing the speakers.

maxwedge

Reaction score
Just looked over the cones real good and found no markings other than the red one on the one speaker shown above. I concur, has to be RIC.

GIBSON67

Reaction score
None of the EGxx dated speakers I've seen have had cone numbers.

And I agree...looks like a RICI cone. Nice cab BTW, great score!

maxwedge

Reaction score
None of the EGxx dated speakers I've seen have had cone numbers.

And I agree...looks like a RICI cone. Nice cab BTW, great score!
Thanks! I have a very slim chance of getting the top but the speakers were swapped out for 80s G12T-75s. The cab is as clean as this one though.

Markedman

Reaction score
I picked these up off of Craigslist, the 1960B from NYC for $750.00 and the 1960A from Pawtucket, RI for $1,000.00. The A has been on CL for months, I bought another A from the same guy earlier in the year. The A has Creambacks and the B has a single Pulsonic 25 watt speaker. I haven't pulled the backs off either cabinet yet but I played through the A and it's killer.

1974 Marshall Stack by John Bazzano, on Flickr

Sustainium

Reaction score
I picked these up off of Craigslist, the 1960B from NYC for $750.00 and the 1960A from Pawtucket, RI for $1,000.00. The A has been on CL for months, I bought another A from the same guy earlier in the year. The A has Creambacks and the B has a single Pulsonic 25 watt speaker. I haven't pulled the backs off either cabinet yet but I played through the A and it's killer.

1974 Marshall Stack by John Bazzano, on Flickr

:coffee: Hell yeah, that went well with morning coffee!

Latest posts