76 or 77 JMP???

• Thread starter Diezeldale
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Diezeldale

Reaction score
Just scored this on EBAY, still in shipping. I'm taking a gamble on the amp, front panel and cabinet has been modified a bit, maybe more, still show gold piping and not the transition white. My question is can anyone tell me from the pics if this is a 76 or 77 JMP 2203? back panel shows that it has the two prong cord, 4 speakers outs and maybe the pull pin OHM selector, front panel has three Rockers, one being the Polarity? maybe a Canadian transition model? Can any experts chime in. Either way it's not a bad score for $355.00 and a chasis for a Dave Friedman MOD!

KGrHqZmIE6B35oTK9BOh4p5esg60_3.jpg

KGrHqYOKkYE5tzLMB7BOh4nUsSg60_3.jpg

KGrHqQOKnME52NRU9wTBOh4ojyr9g60_3.jpg

AlisterHag

Reaction score
I remember seeing this a while ago. What kind of tubes does it have? Looks more like a '78-'80 to me.

Diezeldale

Reaction score
I remember seeing this a while ago. What kind of tubes does it have? Looks more like a '78-'80 to me.

Havent received it yet still in transit, but All the 78-80's Ive seen have a removable three prong plug? and the tolex changed and gold piping went away? But I could be wrong. Dont know the tubes, but if I were a guessing man looking through the back panel they look like big bottles, maybe 6550?

Diezeldale

Reaction score
Same here. If I remember right, it got a lot of negative feedback.
Do you recall what kind of feedback, like from comments or plugged in amplified feedback? To me this is a chasis for a Dave Friedman MOD, so Im not out for collectable looks. What about three switch rockrers, Marshall stopped the Polarity Rocker switch on what year???

Diezeldale

Reaction score
Same here. If I remember right, it got a lot of negative feedback.

Would you remember what was said with the negative feedback,? Was it about the amps performance or was it comments on appearance/originality on looks? Not that Im worried, it's a project head for a Dave Friedman MOD anyway, just a chasis for a start point, general rule is the older the Marshall the better! Wish I could have grabbed a 71-73 PTP head but, hey $355.00 for this aint a bad price to start.

Diezeldale

Reaction score

Maybe? But can you explain the Gold piping, didnt that stop in mid 76', from 77 on the head tolex changed and the gold piping was replaced with full black on top and bottom with white piping to the front, and the three prong grounded plug replaced the two prong with Polarity switch on the front?

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
It's been a while. I wouldn't know where to look. If you are happy with the price, that's all that matters.

Diezeldale

Reaction score
It's been a while. I wouldn't know where to look. If you are happy with the price, that's all that matters.

Yeah, Im not dissapointed with the price so far, i have yet to get it but I will see what the deal is when I get it and open her up! lol, BTW I think the seller is a flea market Ebay kind and knows Jack about amps! It was a long shot and gamble, but we'll see. I'll post a follow up with pics when it arrives and I see the circuit board and parts. Thanks for your input.:)

Diezeldale

Reaction score

I was thinking the same thing 78-79, what throws me off first of all is the 3 Rockers on the front panel with a Polarity? I believe the Polarity switch phased out in mid 76; this may be one of the early transition heads to Rocker switch from mid 76' with the Polarity, second is the gold piping on the top and trim, by 77' the gold piping was phased out on the JMP 2203 head and was replaced with all black Tolex with the White piping to the front panel and plastic corners? But this could be a Frankenhead with different parts all together? I think Im in for some work on this but it might be worth it getting it up and running and cant wait to play some old school Metal, think early Priest, Saxon, UFO tone! \w/:dude:

Diezeldale

Reaction score
Cool, I'll check it out, I think the switch is stock for Polarity, check out this 77 50watt
IMG_2332.jpg

demonufo

Reaction score
Rockers didn't come in until at least Feb '77, so that rules '76 out altogether.

And nobody will be able to put a proper date on that amp without seeing the PCB board anyway.

Diezeldale

Reaction score
Rockers didn't come in until at least Feb '77, so that rules '76 out altogether.

And nobody will be able to put a proper date on that amp without seeing the PCB board anyway.
Are you sure about this? Im not trying to sharp shoot anyone but I found this on the The Vintage Marshall Guide web page:

Marshall decided to upgrade the cosmetics of their amps. They started using rocker style switches instead of the old toggle switches (yes. This is why I called it “Rocker Switch Era”. No pun intended), the “Marshall” logo was bigger and there was a thicker white binding on the corners, as well as under the logo. The only thing is: there were many parts left on stock and they had to use them! So, if you find a weird looking 1976 – 1977 JMP, it’s probably just because they were using some old parts to assemble them. By mid-1977, they were over and only new parts were used.
An example of a “mixed up” 1976 JMP: Notice the old style headbox and, at the same time, the thicker binding, the bigger logo and the rocker switches.
a 76/77 model JMP with 76 body, 77 front panel and Rcoker Switches? So Im thinking Maybe this amp to be an Early 1977 transition amp with a 76 head shell?

5325435550_6c5baf230b.jpg

demonufo

Reaction score
What I meant was, we could tell if it was before '76, early '76 or after '76 altogether, but without seeing inside there is NO way to tell any further.
I know all about transition headcabs. I have had a couple myself. (And still have, although it has been butchered and recovered.)
And that headcab has been heavily butchered. Look at the lip underneath the front faceplate. That doesn't look like ANY marshall headcab, although the back certainly does.

Diezeldale

Reaction score
What I meant was, we could tell if it was before '76, early '76 or after '76 altogether, but without seeing inside there is NO way to tell any further.
I know all about transition headcabs. I have had a couple myself. (And still have, although it has been butchered and recovered.)
And that headcab has been heavily butchered. Look at the lip underneath the front faceplate. That doesn't look like ANY marshall headcab, although the back certainly does.
Ha, yeah you have a good point. I'll post detailed pics of the board aand componants when it arrives, we can make the call then. Thanks for the expert input, butchered top or.not, if the.guts are unmolested it might be.a fairly good grab.

sanrico

Reaction score
That doesn't look like ANY marshall headcab, although the back certainly does.

True, it looks like it's been butchered. But man, for that price, you are doing great! If it were me, I would buy a new faceplate and headcab from Mojotone and you've got a shiny new "vintage" Marshall for a fraction of the price.

Nice score for sure! Congratulations!

demonufo

Reaction score
Good idea, but it will be impossible to find a faceplate for a rocker switch amp with a polarity rocker.
To be fair, they're unsafe anyway, so best omitted IMO. Or at least, NOT wired up.