'77 Jmp 2203 Advice!!

• Thread starter FIREpunkMEDIC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jlinde1973

Reaction score
I agree...even though the amp is clean, the les paul is worth more. Amp and $250 cash is a good trade. But I wouldn't sweat it...those 2203s r a dime a dozen. I'm constantly seeing them for sale. More than ever lately.

Rozman62

Reaction score
I agree...even though the amp is clean, the les paul is worth more. Amp and $250 cash is a good trade. But I wouldn't sweat it...those 2203s r a dime a dozen. I'm constantly seeing them for sale. More than ever lately.
I would not say they are dime a dozen but not rare. Getting harder to find though. I see an old 70's JMP come up on CL once every few months. I stole my '79 2204 a few years ago for $700. The Jube is a good amp and perhaps more versatile but the JMP has it over the Jube in regards to overall tone. I vote JMP.

custom53

Reaction score
I own a 1980 Marshall JMP 2203 completely stock.. And that Amp is going No Where.. I will never sell or trade it off.. I sold a 1977 JMP 2204 a few years ago and still regret it.

StephenP

Reaction score
I know that the guys in Bad Religion use 2203s, I'm sure that the guys in Social D and Dropkick use them too. Keep in mind that it's got to be turned up past bedroom level to really get the sound, but that's it. I love mine, it helps to drive the front end as well.

Adrian R

Reaction score
I own a 1980 Marshall JMP 2203 completely stock.. And that Amp is going No Where.. I will never sell or trade it off.. I sold a 1977 JMP 2204 a few years ago and still regret it.

Ha, I had one too! lol... And I remember the sound it made...stupidly I sold it back in 03'. Since them I have owned many different Marshalls...and I was trying to get that sound again once I realized I didn't need all the crap the newer heads had to offer. I modded my DSLs to get the same sound...and came close...but the DSL has that other channel man...for soloing that no JMP could touch...even being pushed in the front end. The Jube...man...it gets REALLY close..but yet has it's own thing going on...Personally I think it sounds every bit as good as my old JMP...AND has an FX loop..and WAY more *clean* gain if needed.

mr brownstone

Reaction score
Had a good jam on my 2203 last night and going back for more tonight, the other guitar player is always complementing me on my choice of amp, my playing is ordinary but my tone is awesome!, good luck whatever way you choose and merry xmas to all

FIREpunkMEDIC

Reaction score
I know that the guys in Bad Religion use 2203s, I'm sure that the guys in Social D and Dropkick use them too. Keep in mind that it's got to be turned up past bedroom level to really get the sound, but that's it. I love mine, it helps to drive the front end as well.

No problem there. I am in a regularly gigging band so I'm not concerned about bedroom level tone. Thats what practice amps are for, am I right?! Cheers!

custom53

Reaction score
Ha, I had one too! lol... And I remember the sound it made...stupidly I sold it back in 03'. Since them I have owned many different Marshalls...and I was trying to get that sound again once I realized I didn't need all the crap the newer heads had to offer. I modded my DSLs to get the same sound...and came close...but the DSL has that other channel man...for soloing that no JMP could touch...even being pushed in the front end. The Jube...man...it gets REALLY close..but yet has it's own thing going on...Personally I think it sounds every bit as good as my old JMP...AND has an FX loop..and WAY more *clean* gain if needed.

Along with my JMP 2203 I also have a JCM2000 DSL 100 and a JCM2000 TSL 100.. I think I have all the Marshall sounds covered..

1980 JMP 2203

JCM2000 DSL 100

JCM2000 TSL 100

And a few Marshall's that I sold..

JVM210

I had 2 JTM45's.. 1989 and a 1999.. Should have kept one of them..

1977 JMP 2204

Last edited:

FIREpunkMEDIC

Reaction score
Along with my JMP 2203 I also have a JCM2000 DSL 100 and a JCM2000 TSL 100.. I think I have all the Marshall sounds covered..

I would keep my Jcm2000 DSL 50 as well. Under rated amps, as long as you're willing to put a little work in.

Dmann

Reaction score
It's a good amp, I had a 78 JMP 2203, same Mk2 master model lead, just a year off, owned it and gigged it for nearly 20 years.. BUT.... I did however use a rack (ADA MP-2 + effects) into the front, as straight up for hard rock and metal? ...nope, not with this amp. Classic rock and country, single guitarist in band?... yeah maybe.

One thing about this version of build. It is extremely low noise floor, and every tech who serviced my JMP told me this, and trust me it had been on the bench a lot... blew a lot of tubes taking sockets with it, but it's par for the course as it runs a really high plate voltage.

In the last years owning it, I modded in a Metro amps zero loss fx loop in for direct access to the power section. there was still some bleed, but it was quiet and not even noticeable when playing at gig volume.

I'm using the Axe Fx II and FRFR now, so I look back on this stuff as extremely limiting and very one trick pony.

It was a good amp, and I'll probably be the only one saying this, but if your Les Paul plays really good , chambered or not, I'd not be making the trade. And also if it's all original, I wouldn't really take that as a good thing. Electronics have a shelf life and wear out, and do not last forever, and you could be in for some benchwork if you plan on gigging it after it's been sitting for a while... and recently serviced only means new tubes and biased, and maybe some some quick checks with a scope and meter.

As for the KT88's it will still sound pretty much the same, the difference will be in the how the amp responds / interacts IMO.

Also, again, I'll get the unpopular vote, but jsut being real. just because the shell has been cleaned / polished and looks pretty doesn't mean the guts are not covered in cigarette / pot smoke tar.....

Adrian R

Reaction score
Also, again, I'll get the unpopular vote, but jsut being real. just because the shell has been cleaned / polished and looks pretty doesn't mean the guts are not covered in cigarette / pot smoke tar.....

I agree...it is an old amp...and the new ones sound just as good, and offer more options.. Sure it would be super cool gigging and old Marshall like that...the novelty of it...and the occasional compliment for using a more rare Marshall, but it stops there. 2203x or the Jube...great options...will sound just as good...with a great deal more to offer.

plexilespaul

Reaction score
aside from filter caps "old" amps are safe!! changing the filter caps will get your old jmp running for another 20 years. and they sound "vintage" which I like vs the more "modern" tone new marshall amps produce.

Adrian R

Reaction score
aside from filter caps "old" amps are safe!! changing the filter caps will get your old jmp running for another 20 years. and they sound "vintage" which I like vs the more "modern" tone new marshall amps produce.

Yes!! I have done this and it helps big time.. Filter caps are cheap man...and their easy to replace...especially on a 2203/04.... I did on both an old 2500 MK3 and an old 2204. The difference was obvious. Not that the amp sounded bad before the change, but after the change the amp seemed more lively..responsive...better articulation and sustain...

jlinde1973

Reaction score
I would not say they are dime a dozen but not rare. Getting harder to find though. I see an old 70's JMP come up on CL once every few months. I stole my '79 2204 a few years ago for $700. The Jube is a good amp and perhaps more versatile but the JMP has it over the Jube in regards to overall tone. I vote JMP.

That sucker is clean...hold on to that guy!

jlinde1973

Reaction score
But in all honesty, I've been playing for 25+ years heavily....I owned a 2203, 2104 1987, 1959 and early jtms..for that midrange crunch u can't beat them...but in all honesty, my jvm410c blows everything away...Ya it doesn't quite have that fat midrange of the old ones...but it has so much more. A 10 band eq in the loop with mids pegged does wonders. I love the amp...all of u jvm haters..I laugh at it... It's the best modern amp marshall ever made...period.

FIREpunkMEDIC

Reaction score
It's a good amp, I had a 78 JMP 2203, same Mk2 master model lead, just a year off, owned it and gigged it for nearly 20 years.. BUT.... I did however use a rack (ADA MP-2 + effects) into the front, as straight up for hard rock and metal? ...nope, not with this amp. Classic rock and country, single guitarist in band?... yeah maybe.

One thing about this version of build. It is extremely low noise floor, and every tech who serviced my JMP told me this, and trust me it had been on the bench a lot... blew a lot of tubes taking sockets with it, but it's par for the course as it runs a really high plate voltage.

In the last years owning it, I modded in a Metro amps zero loss fx loop in for direct access to the power section. there was still some bleed, but it was quiet and not even noticeable when playing at gig volume.

I'm using the Axe Fx II and FRFR now, so I look back on this stuff as extremely limiting and very one trick pony.

It was a good amp, and I'll probably be the only one saying this, but if your Les Paul plays really good , chambered or not, I'd not be making the trade. And also if it's all original, I wouldn't really take that as a good thing. Electronics have a shelf life and wear out, and do not last forever, and you could be in for some benchwork if you plan on gigging it after it's been sitting for a while... and recently serviced only means new tubes and biased, and maybe some some quick checks with a scope and meter.

As for the KT88's it will still sound pretty much the same, the difference will be in the how the amp responds / interacts IMO.

Typically, I would fully agree! However caps were replaced as needed and given a clean bill of health by Schroeder Amplificatuon here in Chicago. Highly reputable tech/builder. Les Paul is cool, but MUCH prefer SGs. Just my preference. Cheers!

FIREpunkMEDIC

Reaction score

Agreed! This was gone over and given a full clean bill of health by Schroeder Amplification here in chicago. I don't need versatility, I just want THAT vintage Marshall tone. One trick pony?! Who gives a sh*t when that one trick is stellar! Haha! Cheers!

FIREpunkMEDIC

Reaction score
But in all honesty, I've been playing for 25+ years heavily....I owned a 2203, 2104 1987, 1959 and early jtms..for that midrange crunch u can't beat them...but in all honesty, my jvm410c blows everything away...Ya it doesn't quite have that fat midrange of the old ones...but it has so much more. A 10 band eq in the loop with mids pegged does wonders. I love the amp...all of u jvm haters..I laugh at it... It's the best modern amp marshall ever made...period.

No question the 410c is a great amp too. However, with my band I dont need versatility. A one trick pony is just fine, as long as that one trick kicks ass. We play a Dropkick Murphys/Social Distortion style of punk rock so that vintage Marshall mid-laden roar is what we live on! Cheers!

Latest posts