'78 Cab Rehab, Or "bye Bye" Flipped Small Check!

• Thread starter Kris Ford
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kris Ford

Reaction score
For those that have been following my flipped small check cab drama, I have re-grilled with large check.
While I had it disassembled, I had a chance to deep clean the spray paint off the the elephant..NOT easy, and is it me, or does the first few years of elephant look more grainier? Seems to have longer, deeper and wider "elephanty" grains..
Was able to clean the piping to like new as well..acetone didn't harm either.

Read up on all I could and just went for it..and here is my result:

Got it as straight and tight as I could, and stapled away.
Reinstalled, and the refreshed piping just pops!
There is a lil wander, but there is in my factory ones as well, so I can live with it.
Lines up pretty well with the AX cab:

If I could just get a the tiniest bit tighter, I'd be stoked, but that's being a perfectionist..I don't think it looks hack at all. Does the hair dryer trick work for this?
Not too bad for my first attempt. My logo is slightly warped, but I can live with it too.

Next step is to install new handles, install quad of G12T-75s. I have red and black 16g wire to do it right. Gonna try the 'Marshall twist" look by twisting my red and black together with a drill...not that any one will ever see, but I think it looks great. Will probably re-do my AX cab that way soon as well.

Kris Ford

Reaction score
Thanks, Antoli!

Hair dryer trick seemed to really tighten it up..I did it last night when I installed, but this time really seemed to do the trick:

Speaker time!

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
Really nice job!

I just let mine sit out in the July sun for a couple of afternoons..Didn't even think about the hairdryer bit.

Of course mine also needed airing out to get rid of the mildew smell..I wish I could figure out a way to get the grillcloth to match the bottom cab's a bit better, it would probably take something like some kind of smoking treatment to do that.

Kris Ford

Reaction score
Really nice job!

I just let mine sit out in the July sun for a couple of afternoons..Didn't even think about the hairdryer bit.

Of course mine also needed airing out to get rid of the mildew smell..I wish I could figure out a way to get the grillcloth to match the bottom cab's a bit better, it would probably take something like some kind of smoking treatment to do that.

Maybe a coffee or tea bath?

dslman

Reaction score
Looks perfect! Makes me want to do mine.
I miss my old checker boards.
I have screw in handles ,so its even more tempting

Kris Ford

Reaction score
G12T-75s in, and the Marshall twist to the best of my ability. I flipped the back panel so the jack was up top, which is why the jack leads are topside in case anyone was wondering...

Then went out and picked up a set of handles, which by having just the Marshall script is cool with me, and close enough! I found screws that didn't look awful too. I really think these handles set it off!

Buttoned it up with all new screws and trim washers, and she's sounding great!!
Glad it's over honestly...

Last edited:

dslman

Reaction score
75s have that "tubby" bottom end thing going on, yet they are still very tight.
I hear it in my WGS HM75s also.
Its a unmistakable tone that is easy on the ears, and my favorite part of their eq.

soundboy57

Reaction score
Spray it with water lightly with a spray bottle then let it sit in the hot sun or use a hair dryer.

Yeah, some of the old elephant grain is deeper than others. Although my old 76ish stuff seems smoother than the modern replacement.

Very nice job, and nice looking stack!!

Kris Ford

Reaction score
Thanks guys!
Glad I just went ahead and did it...felt good to remove the flipped cloth, and clean this thing up!
Sounds really good too!

Latest posts