NCD, '84 1965 cab...

• Thread starter DirtySteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

knulp

Reaction score
Change speakers in a 1965 cab? :shrug:
Its already perfection
The 1965b may be perfect..but needs some foam and a ply back or,to be at its best,a center brace.
The 1965a is a little different and may benefit from even just a single g10m to pump up the bass.
But that if you really like some powerful bass and your amp is shy on bass
That has been my experience with them.
They surely are perfect for home practice stock

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah my bad, didnt realize youre talking about 1/2"
Just checked my scrap pile - the stuff I linked is actually kinda 9 ply...
It's 7 plys with a thin veneer on both sides.

I think whatever plywood is available would be better at adding some resonance than the particle board.
I mean, we're talking about a back panel on an MX cab, not exactly a vintage reproduction project.
Tolex, or no tolex, may also be a factor, but not sure to what degree.
At neighbor friendly volumes, this might all be a pointless waste of time.

knulp

Reaction score
Just checked my scrap pile - the stuff I linked is actually kinda 9 ply...
It's 7 plys with a thin veneer on both sides.

I think whatever plywood is available would be better at adding some resonance than the particle board.
I mean, we're talking about a back panel on an MX cab, not exactly a vintage reproduction project.
Tolex, or no tolex, may also be a factor, but not sure to what degree.
At neighbor friendly volumes, this might all be a pointless waste of time.
It will more than suffice

I have a 1966b replica all built with non voidless 7 ply.
Ok,it’s built very very well,but it’s cheap ply:poplar too.
It sounds much better than the the 1965b converted to 2x12 ..compared used the very same speakers using the very same baffle

knulp

Reaction score
Wait

Did you try all cream back too?
What you didn’t like about them?
Compared to g10m?
Please report!!!
I’m about to try the creamback just for the bass kick but otherwise I’m happy with the greenback
And that custom emplexador..?
I have the schematic of the standard one and I’ll build it someday that preamp in some Marshall,it’s nice

Point 2 Point

Reaction score
Wait

Did you try all cream back too?
What you didn’t like about them?
Compared to g10m?
Please report!!!
I’m about to try the creamback just for the bass kick but otherwise I’m happy with the greenback
And that custom emplexador..?
I have the schematic of the standard one and I’ll build it someday that preamp in some Marshall,it’s nice
I did not try all Creambacks and I didn’t try an X pattern with any of the mixes, but I may.

I had Brian put the 2022 Emplexador Jr. Custom 50 in an old school design 24 inch head cab so I could set it on my 2061 CX and my 1965s
Pretty incredible amp.

Point 2 Point

Reaction score
That's exactly what I did. This morning I got up and was playing the 1965 for a little while and then I plugged in the 212 with CBs to compare and it was no comparison. I called GC to make sure I could return it since they only give you 3 days to return vintage gear and when they said yes I loaded it up and went and got my money back. I'm so glad I bought it from GC, it was easy to return it.

It's a great sounding cab don't get me wrong, I really like the look and size of it, but I was struggling to dial in "my sound" with it and couldn't quite get there. After what others said about changing speakers not making much of a difference that was a little disappointing. When I plugged in my 212 instantly "my sound" was back, right where I left it, lol.
Yeah, I rarely play through my remaining 65B If we rehearse in a small space I’ll bring it.
Usually it’s the 2061CX or 1960BX if I’m feeling up to lifting it in a road case into the back of my truck.
Ugh!

knulp

Reaction score
A lot of overthinkin' the 1965
I can testify to 30yrs of gigs & TONE with those cabs ,all over the USA and Europe
Just plug 'em in and play
Uhmm
It’s a discussion about a cab
So here we go and talk about the cab characteristics in details ..
The details of the cabs are those..or not?

It’s the nature of the forum:a place to discuss-and the arguments are gear related

I could tell you nothing about the cab..just that I have it.
And then add that I have used it in a polistrumental duo performance guitar/cello and others instruments that very few guitarists know .
In a few years more technical,technological and armonical advances that people touring for a life can even imagine,thanks to a collaboration with experienced pioneers and studying modern harmony on other instruments such as the piano

In such circumstances I can’t allow for unlinear resonance in a cab or the cello is not intelligible .
I’m playing in projects where quality is more important than quantity.

But in such derailing probably the focus is on the ego and not the cab,and that’s why a love a forum for discussing a cab

Last edited: