'78 JMP mark II (1987)... Should I???

• Thread starter SuperBeaver
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metromutt

Reaction score
Can you explain the mods on the back? you've got one jack labelled effects loop but the other one is odd as power amp in?

What's with the evh drill, didn't have you down as an Ed-head:cool:

Nudge68

Reaction score
Mate, that IS a good buy. London-wise you'd be looking at £800+ at very best.:thumb:

Enjoy! :headbanger:

cheers,

Matt.

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
Can you explain the mods on the back? you've got one jack labelled effects loop but the other one is odd as power amp in?

What's with the evh drill, didn't have you down as an Ed-head:cool:

Yea the mod is an effects loop. It was on it when I got it. The last owner had it fitted as he used a big rig.

I'm a huge VH fan. The drill is a left over from a band i was in years ago where we used to do Poundcake :headbanger:

Our sound guy sat all day doing that :)We paid him in grass...:slash:

Nudge68

Reaction score
I'm a huge VH fan. The drill is a left over from a band i was in years ago where we used to do Poundcake

Mate, so am I! :)

The eternal quest to come close to VH II keeps me on the junk. Just listen to "You're No Good". That's what I want. '68 Super Lead.

Even now looking at a '69 small box, see the thread I just posted.

I'm looking at choosing a 2204 from '78-'81 in a couple of weeks.

.... when I listen closely, I'm sure that's you I can hear .... :headbanger:

cheers,

Matt.

SuperBeaver

Reaction score

The eternal quest to come close to VH II keeps me on the junk. Just listen to "You're No Good". That's what I want. '68 Super Lead.

cheers,

Matt.

Man I use a 1987 from the year 1977 and I love it.
I had a 2203 and sold it. I am not really a fan of Master Volume amps, though I do have a Vintage Modern.
4 holers are the way to go. Especially the 50 watters. Mine cooking at 7 and above is loud but not stupid loud. I play with a really loud drummer and it sits perfectly. Cleans up nicely when I roll the volume back as well.

Id say if you can get the small box go for it. Had a look at your post but im not a tech guy so maybe some others will give you a heads up on it. Looks good though.

And yes VH2 has some stunning tones, as does Women And Children First. Its crazy how Ed's tone changed on every album.
First 3 albums were incredible. Beautiful Girls and Take Your Whiskey Home are a couple of examples of perfect tone for me. I didn't dig the tone on Diver Down and 1984 as much. Fair Warning was pretty heavy sounding.
5150 was an abysmal tone, OU812 was OK tone wise but a little over processed, F.U.C.K was a great record and great tone, all Soldano btw and Balance was Ed's best tone since the early days IMO. New tone on the last album was pretty good too. Fingers crossed they'll come to the UK in 2012 :fingersx:

metromutt

Reaction score

cheers,

Matt.

Me too... there aren't many of us in the UK big time into Ed. I gave up playing live some years ago, (bit of an old bugger as I saw VH support Sabbath in 78!) and all I do now is tone chase early VH and 'try' to cop his style:lol:

Matt, I've got a '69 50watter if your looking for one? mint original, fifth metal face built! so plexi circuit.
Also got a Rockstah mod5 50watter I might sell too ...just got to many amps at the mo, my main squeeze is a '68 12 series build and a soldano deca, all a bit much for someone not gigging:naughty:

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
Me too... there aren't many of us in the UK big time into Ed. I gave up playing live some years ago, (bit of an old bugger as I saw VH support Sabbath in 78!) and all I do now is tone chase early VH and 'try' to cop his style:lol:

Matt, I've got a '69 50watter if your looking for one? mint original, fifth metal face built! so plexi circuit.
Also got a Rockstah mod5 50watter I might sell too ...just got to many amps at the mo, my main squeeze is a '68 12 series build and a soldano deca, all a bit much for someone not gigging:naughty:

:wow::photos: please.

metromutt

Reaction score
RS50.jpg

6950.jpg

Nudge68

Reaction score

Mate, that is SWEEEEEEET! :)

ay ay ay

I gave up copping his style ... I truly believe its in the fingers and EVH could play banjo and get his tone. I play like I've got broken fingers :( I know no amount of gear will get me there.

You saw him in '78!!!! I was given VH I the same year for my 10th birthday by my (and still) best mate whose folks are Dutch. He only got it because his older brothers liked it, they were proud of the Dutch rock and he thought the cover art work looked great.

A life changer.

.... dont start me on EVH ... whole another post for that!

I've PM'd.

cheers,

Matt.

Nudge68

Reaction score
And yes VH2 has some stunning tones, as does Women And Children First. Its crazy how Ed's tone changed on every album.
First 3 albums were incredible. Beautiful Girls and Take Your Whiskey Home are a couple of examples of perfect tone for me. I didn't dig the tone on Diver Down and 1984 as much. Fair Warning was pretty heavy sounding.
5150 was an abysmal tone, OU812 was OK tone wise but a little over processed, F.U.C.K was a great record and great tone, all Soldano btw and Balance was Ed's best tone since the early days IMO. New tone on the last album was pretty good too. Fingers crossed they'll come to the UK in 2012 :fingersx:

Mate, agree 100%.

I always felt that when he was adding that sort of chorus/delay on top of the extra high gain that his dynamics disappeared... no more pick attack, the palm muting vs open strings, working the volume knob etc. Still, its EVH and it's all good :)

People bag VHIII, but I love that album .... I see it as Ed's solo album.

Apologies, off topic :(

cheers,

Matt

trenchcoat

Reaction score
Just rehearsed with it this afternoon.
Had it set at vol 8 on the high input channel 1. Bass 10, Mid 7.5 and Trebble 5. Pres on 4.

Was getting great Winterland Clapton tones with my New SG.

Was thinking the speakers were sounding a little compressed though. I would like some speakers with more openness to them.

Put a Memory toy in front with just a touch of echo.. Keep your speakers.

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
Put a Memory toy in front with just a touch of echo.. Keep your speakers.

Man that is weird was just looking at one of those on eBay.
They look great value for money.

I have a loop so I'm guessing it would go better in there?

Think I might break my no pedals thing and buy a delay. I'm in a 3 piece so I think it would fill the sound out a little.

Nudge68

Reaction score
Metromutt and his dear wife are the business ... in Chester! :)

"Oh my Lord" is dead right!

:cheers:

cheers,

Matt.

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
Metromutt and his dear wife are the business ... in Chester! :)

"Oh my Lord" is dead right!

:cheers:

cheers,

Matt.

I take it you did a deal?

Man that was the cleanest small box I've ever seen. Looked like a 1987x. Reissue.

Some video would be nice now please... Lets get down to business.