84' JCM 800 or I'm getting robbed. Literally.

• Thread starter Kula
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kula

Reaction score
Hey All,
I found a guy selling a 1984 JCM 800 2204 (vertical inputs). Been trying to find one of these for ages. But there is something really sketchy about this dude. No phone numbers, no email address, and he won't let me come to his place to check out the head. Wants to meet me somewhere in public.

He said that there were some "minor modifications inside, but I got it all returned to spec, The chassis also has no holes from any mods so is in original condition. All transformers are also original. The blue caps were replaced last year as part of maintenance."

He sent me the attached pics. Serial number seems right. Not sure if you guys can tell much from these pics but would appreciate any feedback on the pics. Legit?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-03-06 at 9.32.01 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-03-06 at 9.32.01 PM.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Screen shot 2013-03-06 at 9.32.28 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-03-06 at 9.32.28 PM.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Screen shot 2013-03-06 at 9.32.48 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-03-06 at 9.32.48 PM.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Screen shot 2013-03-06 at 9.33.31 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-03-06 at 9.33.31 PM.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Screen shot 2013-03-06 at 9.29.50 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-03-06 at 9.29.50 PM.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 79

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
I wouldnt buy it just due to the way he acts. If he wont let me come over and try it in his place that is a huge red flag. At least for me. Could be stolen. Need to cover your ass. I keep all emails of conversations I have of gear I buy from CL.

sam marshall

Reaction score
Smells fishy to me if they wont let you plug in and check it out. And to top it off with no contact info thats a red flag to me, but i trust no one but myself.

keennay

Reaction score
After being constantly harassed from a potential Craigslist buyer of my Marshall JMP (who also happens to be a member here) up to the point I was ready to contact the police, I don't blame the guy for only wanting to meet at a public location. Hell, I'd prolly only ever meet up at a Guitar Center to sell my gear worth $1,000+ again.

The guy could've at least created an alternate email. Even a Google Voice forwarding phone number is free. . .

Kula

Reaction score
I think my biggest fear is that the amp is a re-issue, but everything looks right. Serial number starts with S/A which is supposed to indicate an 84'. I asked for the rest of the serial number to confirm.

It would suck if it was stolen but there is no way to check that.

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
As long as you don't knowingly buy it cuz it's stolen, you are ok.

True but if you ever sell it at a pawn shop, GC etc you could end up without your money and a amp. And answering questions to clear yourself. To me, not worth the potential hassle

Kula

Reaction score
True but if you ever sell it at a pawn shop, GC etc you could end up without your money and a amp. And answering questions to clear yourself. To me, not worth the potential hassle

Who the hell is ever going to sell an 84' JCM800 at a pawn shop or GC? I will keep this thing until I am dead. That said, I get our point.

Durden

Reaction score
Ask him to bring it around to your place, then you can try it out at least before buying, give it a good run! If its all good and your willing to take the gamble then its completely your choice.

....as for him not wanting to disclose where he lives, that's nothing unusual ...its a 2nd hand sale with no warranty so why should he is the way 'he's' seeing it.

Good luck !!!

shredless

Reaction score
I no longer do deals at my house

I will gladly drive an hour to your place to do a deal, but NO ONE from CL will come to my house again

I dont do shady deals, but Ive met some weird fuckers on CL and dont really want them at my place

I have several places available to meet up with electric outlets and I carry a small practice amp and power inverter in my car, if thats not good enough, look elsewhere

to each his own I guess

B.Gloob

Reaction score
I no longer do deals at my house

I will gladly drive an hour to your place to do a deal, but NO ONE from CL will come to my house again

I dont do shady deals, but Ive met some weird fuckers on CL and dont really want them at my place

I have several places available to meet up with electric outlets and I carry a small practice amp and power inverter in my car, if thats not good enough, look elsewhere

to each his own I guess

^This^. If you let a thief into your place, he may just come around later and steal it back, along with the rest of your stuff.

66 galaxie

VIP Member
Reaction score
If he looks like this... RUN!!!

slashrapper_zps0750a96b.jpg

Rozman62

Reaction score
There has been reports of potential CL buyers scoping out sellers house with no intent to buy but every attempt to rob you. They use your merchandise as a means to access your house. Run the serial # past the police and if it clears then try to meet him somewhere where you can at least plug it in and try it out.

Kula

Reaction score
Run the serial # past the police and if it clears then try to meet him somewhere where you can at least plug it in and try it out.

This is a great idea. I asked the guy for the whole serial number, as it's hard to read in the pics. All i can see is the S/A which i think verifies that it is indeed vintage. He has not responded yet. If he doesn't, I will know that amp is probably stolen.

You can actually check serial numbers with the Police? Seems unlikely that cops are that organized.