900 DR vs 2205

• Thread starter Shae201
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Solid State

Reaction score
I have an 1985 2205. How does the 900 4100 DR compare gain wise and clean channel? I'm playing mainly thrash and death Metal right now boosting with a Sd-1 Boss. Gimme your opinions.

With Death Metal, you're basically running your dirt from a RAT pedal so either amp will be good. I know Morbid Angel have been using JCM900s all these years - I think they're 2100s and probably a 4100 or two. A bunch of bands used 800s of various flavors with RATs for dirt.

Shae201

Reaction score
Actually I meant "maybe a hint for a NOT SO good thrash metal sound". I consider styles that uses palm mutes demand for a rather tight and aggressive sound, i.o. to not get too flabby and tu have the attack cut through the mix.

I guess you achieve something similar by boosting the 2205 with an SD-1.
Sounds like I just need to have both.

Seventh Son

Reaction score
My reference is only from the original DSL 50 and 100, as well as the TSL at that time. Those amps were commonly described as having "relaxed mids" in comparison to all previous models, as Marshall began competing with the new generation of metallurgists who had been gravitating toward the Mesa Rectifier's aggressive, scooped-mids sound. In my experience and opinion, although the DSL is a great amp and has stood the test of time, the mids are still relaxed with the button out, and impractical when pushed in. Again, this is in comparison to previous model series'. The Deep switch was also a mess. THE DSL was the first amp where Marshall showed it was no longer an leader, but a follower in the industry, and desperately trying to compete with the Mesa Rectifier sound. The DSL and TSL represented a new change for Marshall, and not one I ever felt was good. Dishonorable mention: the Mode series; another Mesa Recto competition flop.
Thank you for the brief history lesson. Now I see how the DSL/TSL range fits in the bigger picture. I had no idea Marshall tried to imitate the Mesa sound with those amps. Very interesting to know.

Shae201

Reaction score
I wonder if the gain tone is any more modern on a 900 compared to a 2205? YouTube compression doesn't allow a good assessment.

Zensee

Reaction score
I have an 1985 2205. How does the 900 4100 DR compare gain wise and clean channel? I'm playing mainly thrash and death Metal right now boosting with a Sd-1 Boss. Gimme your opinions.
Morbid Angel used a 900 boosted with a rat. People saying it won't get you to death metal territory might not be familiar with the sound.

Zensee

Reaction score
keep the 2005... that's the machine you need to the genre you play. I'm also a big fan of 80s thrash and you can't go wrong with 2203/04/05.

and here I go again. If you want a different amp to play with, I think you already have the marshall holy grail for your purpose. If I was you I'd go buy a different brand. 5150s in general. A block letter or a 5150III.

and yeah, fuck djent!
good call. I'm mixing a 900 with an evh 50 watter and a 6505 plus head.

abkeller1

Reaction score
I had a 2205 and a 2210, used 'em for almost a decade. To me, they're not the best choice for anything harder than Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, and the 800 was modeled after Michael Schenker's late 70's tone. The JCM 900? That's a hard rock amp too (think The Smithereens "A Girl Like You"), though it had more gain than the 800 series. Those amps are incredible for their time period, but hey wouldn't be my first choice for Thrash or especially Death Metal because their emphasis is in the mids, and were the last Marshalls to have that before the mid scoop era. Better to go with a DSL for that matter.
Smithereens only used a JCM 800 2203. that's a fact. He's never used anything else.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
Smithereens only used a JCM 800 2203. that's a fact. He's never used anything else.

I saw them on a late night show years ago, there was a 900. Beyond that, I could care less about the Smithereens and what amps they used. :shrug:

Drinkingdeath01

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For metal its the DR all the way. I love the 800's don't get me wrong, but the DR is a plug and play amp. I have both the 4100 and the 4500 and I think the 50 watt 4500 is way better. 50 watters have more grind to them. I play anything from Sabbath to Suffocation and I plug right in with no boost needed. Old school BC Rich with an EMG 81 right into the amp.

Latest posts