A definitive Marshall Amp List?

Ken Underwood

VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought an ebook version of this last night from Google books. Very cool reading so far and like you mentioned, it covered everything upto the release of the Mode Four. I would like to check out A History of Marshall by Michael Doyle as well.

All of these have been very cool and I appreciate you guys pointing me in the right direction
You can read all you like but all you are doing is being duped into thinking its all true, your choice.

Clockworkmike

Reaction score
You can read all you like but all you are doing is being duped into thinking its all true, your choice.
Dude, what the hell is your issue? If you hate Jim Marshall so badly, then why own a Marshall or even belong to a forum FOR Marshall fans? I tried to be as nice as I can be about it , but literally anything anyone says, you got some snide remark about it. Unfollow this thread by all means

maxxi

Reaction score
I bought an ebook version of this last night from Google books. Very cool reading so far and like you mentioned, it covered everything upto the release of the Mode Four. I would like to check out A History of Marshall by Michael Doyle as well.

All of these have been very cool and I appreciate you guys pointing me in the right direction
I think you bought an older version. my hard copy covers up until the new DSL line

Ken Underwood

VIP Member
Reaction score
Dude, what the hell is your issue? If you hate Jim Marshall so badly, then why own a Marshall or even belong to a forum FOR Marshall fans? I tried to be as nice as I can be about it , but literally anything anyone says, you got some snide remark about it. Unfollow this thread by all means
WTF are you on about, if you dont like my options dont read them and dont answer them.
I dont own a Marshall amp and never have done, i dont play guitar and not even any other musical for instrument for that matter, so FFS stop chucking your dummy out of your pram, i have just as much right to be there as you.

Clockworkmike

Reaction score
WTF are you on about, if you dont like my options dont read them and dont answer them.
I dont own a Marshall amp and never have done, i dont play guitar and not even any other musical for instrument for that matter, so FFS stop chucking your dummy out of your pram, i have just as much right to be there as you.

So you don't know have a musical bone in your body but are going to sit and troll comments? Scram. We're done here

Last edited:

Nik Henville

Reaction score
Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion
@Clockworkmike ... There were three guys who created the first Marshalls (with a tip of the hat to Leo Fender...)
Dudley Craven, Ken Bran and Ken Underwood (the guy you are being so fuckin' RUDE to...)
Jim Marshall was a drummer and shopkeeper, who came in with money and marketing skills.
Mr.Marshall then climbed on to the backs of the three original guys and channeled all the credit on to himself.
Please - do your homework before mouthing off to Ken...

:hippie::pirate::uk:

Last edited:

Clockworkmike

Reaction score
@Clockworkmike ... There were three guys who created the first Marshalls (with a tip of the hat to Leo Fender...)
Dudley Craven, Ken Bran and Ken Underwood (the guy you are being so fuckin' RUDE to...)
Jim Marshall was a drummer and shopkeeper, who came in with money and marketing skills.
Mr.Marshall then climbed on to the backs of the three original guys and channeled all the credit on to himself.
Please - do your homework before mouthing off to Ken...

IM being rude? I asked for a list of all known Marshalls, that's it. Nothing else, nothing malicious. I didn't ask for a pissing contest over who did what or who made who. If that is indeed the real deal Ken Underwood, then hey, thanks for everything! But at the same time, I don't care if he's Jesus Christ himself: if you are that bitter over your old employer, then you should've took it to the courts over rights. Sitting on a forum, nearly 60 years later and being outright demeaning towards anyone because they dared to mention the History of Marshall is pathetic. The name on the amp and the name on the forum says "Marshall" not Underwood. And for that matter, hats off to Dudley Craven and Ken Bran ( founder of Narb amps, of course, RIP), but I don't recall them trashing Jim Marshall and if they did, they weren't on forums attacking BUYERS and PLAYERS of said Amplifiers.

Sorry, but that's cold reality

Clockworkmike

Reaction score
Damn...

Post #27 is "missing in action"

KNEW I should have quoted it...

So you don't know have a musical bone in your body but are going to sit and troll comments? Scram. We're done here

You mean this? Yeah I'm not apologizing for that in the slightest when measured with the comment it's replied to. Still hardly "so fucking RUDE" as you put it, by comparison to his comment.

Ken Underwood

VIP Member
Reaction score
You dont know the truth as Ken and Dudley are not here to tell all the dirt but i can assure you there was no love lost, at any time at all.

As for you then mouth off to anyone at all it doesn't bother me and finally the word Clockwork fits very well, you might be a big shot on stage but you are just like everyone else here just a normal guy like me.

Last edited:

Clockworkmike

Reaction score
You dont know the truth as Ken and Dudley are not here to tell all the dirt but i can assure you there was no love lost, at any time at all.

As for you then mouth off to anyone at all it doesn't bother me and finally the word Clockwork fits very well, you might be a big shot on stage but you are just like everyone else here just a normal guy like me.

Actually, I'm not a big shot on a stage or well anywhere for that matter; I AM just a normal guy like you. I don't even belong to a band any longer. I

played for 25 years, I love music, especially the guitar and more importantly, I love the sound of a Marshall amplifier. It's the perfect sound thru any incarnation, for over 60 years quite frankly. As a fan of said Amplifiers, I just wanted to discover more about obscure models, that's it. I wasn't focusing on the history of the company but hey, that's fine to learn about as well. And as for you: as I said earlier, THANK YOU for your contribution to the amp brand in question, from a fan. But as a fan: you don't have to attack every single line of dialogue said, especially when it had nothing to do with what I was both looking for and talking about.

I'm sure that the case of Jim Marshall himself is probably a lot like the case of Thomas Edison: a guy who gets the credit for other people's work. Being as he was a drum teacher and shop owner, I'd say that's more than believable. But much like Thomas Edison's case: he didn't hold a gun to anyone's head and steal their ideas from underneath them; he bought them out. In your case, as well as Dudley and Ken Bran's, I'd say you were the brains and fingers of the operations and he was the business man, correct? But, being the business man and namesake, he was going to take the credit by design and im sure you were compensated ( how much? I have no idea, hopefully fairly).

Last edited:

John Willcutts

Reaction score
Take a lot of it with a very big pinch of salt as Jim`s ego was bigger than the moon.
Well, so was Jimi's, at least up until Rainbow Bridge and Cry of Love after he Saw His Train a Coming.
Jim surely helped out Jimi with His Ego when he beefed up his amps enough to take the extreme volume shaking that Jimi would give amps with a Strat strung upside down reversing the pickup orientation with the strings. Seems more modest Leo helped Jimi mainly with guitars and not as much with amps.
You know, maybe sometimes that Ego is Earned... like with other VIP's eh Ken; by the way, how's Yours doing these days?? Very well i hope as it can help with self confidence needed to speak up when necessary!!

JTM1963

Reaction score
Well, so was Jimi's, at least up until Rainbow Bridge and Cry of Love after he Saw His Train a Coming.
Jim surely helped out Jimi with His Ego when he beefed up his amps enough to take the extreme volume shaking that Jimi would give amps with a Strat strung upside down reversing the pickup orientation with the strings. Seems more modest Leo helped Jimi mainly with guitars and not as much with amps.
You know, maybe sometimes that Ego is Earned... like with other VIP's eh Ken; by the way, how's Yours doing these days?? Very well i hope as it can help with self confidence needed to speak up when necessary!!
Welcome to the forum John.
Since you an I both know nothing about the inner workings of Marshall at the time it's maybe not a good idea to jump in on the off topic?
There's no point in escalating this thread and turn it into a pissing contest.

John Willcutts

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum John.
Since you an I both know nothing about the inner workings of Marshall at the time it's maybe not a good idea to jump in on the off topic?
There's no point in escalating this thread and turn it into a pissing contest.
THANKS
You Are Exactly Right!!
We All Need to Move On from this BS and get back to electric guitars, their Amplifiers and MUSIC, not noise, white noise or whatever;
Harmonic Tuned Distortion
Or else I'll be leaving real soon,
not sure how I got the 1st email anyway in or maybe out I guess.
Thanks for the Welcome, I'll try to stay longer like with Lead Chops!