A problem with my YJM100.

• Thread starter Stefan_E
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
The problem is only on Input I. The gates acts only as increase/decrease on volume/gain.

SO, is there a way to fix the IC5-issue?

Don't sweat it, man ... if memory serves me right (it's been a few years since I've read this discussion topic), the chip is less than a dollar, so unless you are doing it yourself, your worst case scenario is having to pay for the labor to have it replaced. While mine (and most) YJM100's have been super reliable, there are a few that have had this issue, but it's only an issue until / unless you have the faulty chip replaced. Respectfully, this thread is making it sound much worse than the reality of your situation (it's a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme).

As for what caused it? Well, every time I've heard of the original chip failing, it was after someone was engaging an external boost into the built in boost ... so basically, someone had the built in boost engaged, and then hit the front end of that with another boost. The theory is that there were just some bad chips in the batch, and there's really no way of knowing if you got one of them unless you run it this way. FWIW, I've never heard of someone replacing the chip and having it happen again. Out of curiosity, did you hit the front end of the amp with another boost while the built in boost was engaged?

I've had mine since they were released, and pound for pound, it's been arguably the most reliable amp I've ever owned (though, in fairness, I haven't had any issues with any of my current amps). Not a single problem whatsoever. In fact, no joke, I'm still running the original tubes that came in the amp. Get the chip replaced, bring her back into good health, and you'll have a great amp to have a lot of fun with for many-many years!

Not sure if he's busy with the holiday season in full swing, but Santiago (the guy who designed the amp) @santiall might be able to give you some advice as well if he's around.

Btw., don't get hung up on the signature gear detractors ... there is some absolutely incredible signature gear out there, and if the guitar / amp / etc has the features you are looking for, then that's all that matters. I didn't buy my YJM100 with the hopes of magically turning into Yngwie, but rather, because the amp has features that appeal to me ... at the end of the day, I still sound like me (sometimes that's good, sometimes not so much lol).

Stefan_E

Reaction score
Don't sweat it, man ... if memory serves me right (it's been a few years since I've read this discussion topic), the chip is less than a dollar, so unless you are doing it yourself, your worst case scenario is having to pay for the labor to have it replaced. While mine (and most) YJM100's have been super reliable, there are a few that have had this issue, but it's only an issue until / unless you have the faulty chip replaced. Respectfully, this thread is making it sound much worse than the reality of your situation (it's a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme).

As for what caused it? Well, every time I've heard of the original chip failing, it was after someone was engaging an external boost into the built in boost ... so basically, someone had the built in boost engaged, and then hit the front end of that with another boost. The theory is that there were just some bad chips in the batch, and there's really no way of knowing if you got one of them unless you run it this way. FWIW, I've never heard of someone replacing the chip and having it happen again. Out of curiosity, did you hit the front end of the amp with another boost while the built in boost was engaged?

I've had mine since they were released, and pound for pound, it's been arguably the most reliable amp I've ever owned (though, in fairness, I haven't had any issues with any of my current amps). Not a single problem whatsoever. In fact, no joke, I'm still running the original tubes that came in the amp. Get the chip replaced, bring her back into good health, and you'll have a great amp to have a lot of fun with for many-many years!

Not sure if he's busy with the holiday season in full swing, but Santiago (the guy who designed the amp) @santiall might be able to give you some advice as well if he's around.

Btw., don't get hung up on the signature gear detractors ... there is some absolutely incredible signature gear out there, and if the guitar / amp / etc has the features you are looking for, then that's all that matters. I didn't buy my YJM100 with the hopes of magically turning into Yngwie, but rather, because the amp has features that appeal to me ... at the end of the day, I still sound like me (sometimes that's good, sometimes not so much lol).
Thanks, man!!
Yes, I was really worried at first, but when I saw Marshall's PDF with instructions on how to fix it it's basically a few dollars worth of parts and a steady hand. I'm hoping that my friend will be able to fix it.

As for the discussion about signature stuff I don't care at all. I'm fifty years old and it's about thirty years since I was insecure about stuff like that. I love the amp and I think it sounds better than my vintage PTP amps.
I've owned, bought and sold and tried and compared so much amps and guitars side-by-side so I know what I like. Not saying this is the case here, but people usually shit on stuff based on what they have seen on YouTube or amps they have compared from owned years apart or with different speakers in different rooms in different decades and that just doesn't say shit.

santiall

Reaction score

That issue with the gate (actually with the noise level sensing) and its cause were identified and a bulletin issued to fix it back in the day. It's quite simple to fix but because the yjm was very limited there was never a new circuit release for it.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
That issue with the gate (actually with the noise level sensing) and its cause were identified and a bulletin issued to fix it back in the day. It's quite simple to fix but because the yjm was very limited there was never a new circuit release for it.

Thanks, dude ... I don't remember the bulletin ... do you have a link to it? Would be nice to have in the event that something ever happens to mine, and for those who've had it happen, I'm sure they'd appreciate it as well. It's been so solid for so long, that I don't anticipate anything happening at this point, but you never know (as is the case with any amp I guess). I suppose the reassuring point for me is that for anyone who's had to replace that chip, I've never heard of it going bad again ... so yeah, sounds pretty simple (for those w/the knowhow) and reliable.

santiall

Reaction score
Thanks, dude ... I don't remember the bulletin ... do you have a link to it? Would be nice to have in the event that something ever happens to mine, and for those who've had it happen, I'm sure they'd appreciate it as well. It's been so solid for so long, that I don't anticipate anything happening at this point, but you never know (as is the case with any amp I guess). I suppose the reassuring point for me is that for anyone who's had to replace that chip, I've never heard of it going bad again ... so yeah, sounds pretty simple (for those w/the knowhow) and reliable.
I think I saw it online, probably in this forum, long ago but I don't have it. I couldn't share it even if I had it...
Anyway, the simplest solution is to change the related operational amplifier to a NE5532 for example, no further changes needed.

ken Tucky

Reaction score
If it's the IC5 issue I believe this is the memo...

Attachments

• Marshall_YJM100_Noisegate_repair_guide.pdf
    816 KB · Views: 15