A request for those 1 watt anniversary owners

• Thread starter JBMarshalLover
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stringjunkie

Reaction score
But I actually like the JCM1 with no OD pedal. I like guitar> MXR 10 band EQ>wah>ISP>reverb>delay>cab. For now anyway..

V-man

Reaction score
But I actually like the JCM1 with no OD pedal. I like guitar> MXR 10 band EQ>wah>ISP>reverb>delay>cab. For now anyway..

Throw the Wah in the trash, or make it a QZone (or just set it in a fixed cock), and you have a 1W Kerry King Setup.

pleximaster

Reaction score
I acually never even thought about putting an OD pedal infront of the JCM1 since it already have so much gain, but perhaps I could set a semi-clean sound and the OD to boost... gotta go boys... and play... :)

plexi

Stringjunkie

Reaction score
To me it shows the quality in the tone of these amps. Ive never experienced a Marshall I didn't want to put and OD in front of. Probably because I couldn't turn it loud enough. The EQ is flat, a bit of cut/boost that's all, and I probably don't need it but it works great.

Zedder

Reaction score
I use a Boss SD-1 with my DSL1-H on ultra gain channel and this combination sounds great. Only problem is that it seems that this setup might need a noise gate, because there is little bit too loud hum when I'm not not playing and sometimes I´m not quick enough to switch SD-1 off after a lead part.

I have no idea how close this DSL1´s sound is to a big JCM2000, but I like it very much. My previous Marshall was (is) a MG30, and I guess a DSL1 is much closer to a "real thing".

BeardedRetroGuy

Reaction score
*sigh*

Ok, people. The JTM1 has two knobs. Volume...and Tone.

Yes, we all know this. Why are you being such an arrogant prick?

Because people obviously don't pay attention...either to me when I put this info out BEFORE or to the damned INSTRUCTIONS MANUAL that comes with the f***ing amp in the first place.

The TONE knob is a Treble cut/boost knob. At 5, it is neutral. At 0, it's at -15db Treble. At 10, it's at +15db Treble.

That means the amp is HARD-WIRED to sound like a jumpered amp.

So why would you want to boost Treble? Well, ask all the rockers who did just that with their JTM45s. That's why Treble Boost pedals even existed back then. That's also why Marshalls got way more treble bite as time went on. That's what people wanted.

"We roll tonight...to the guitar bite!" JMP? AC/DC - damned right!

These 1-watt amps were designed with the biggest tone sounds of that decade. The JTM1 isn't a carbon-copy of a JTM45. It has more gain built-in than the JTM45 does as well as having that Treble boost function built in with the tone knob.

The JMP1 has WAY more gain than a 1959SLP does...almost like the super-popular SIR #34? Gee, I wonder why? Probably because every Slash-fanboy jizzes their pants over Appetite for Destruction. So they included an extra valve gain stage connected to a button on the back of the amp marked "boost." It's the only one of the 1-watters that got that.

The JCM1 would have been just that, except that another big amp of the '80s was the Silver Jubilee. So what did they do? They added the front "boost" switch in to basically turn the JCM1 into a Silver Jubilee-1. Gives you more gain and a darker voicing.

The DSL1, let's face it...kinda falls short of the big brother DSL100. Why? Mainly because you lost the Crunch mode on the Classic Gain channel. But then they make up for it with a switchable FX Loop.

The JVM1 we haven't even seen or heard from yet, so no one can debate it. But it WILL be the only one of the 1-watters with a Presence control as well as a Resonance switch (a-la Deep switch on the DSL). How it sounds will remain to be seen. I hope the OD channel is OD1 from the JVM and not OD2, but it won't kill me if it's the latter.

Username2

Reaction score
I dont argue with anyone about these 1 watt heads anymore. Same battle I quit fighting with the JMD1.

My tone does all the talking with the three I have. Far as I'm concerned I don't need a forum endorsment of popular opinion to justify to anyone the money I spent on them. Their loss.

Omegaman

Reaction score
I disagree, but it also comes down to how the beholder frames the issue. I have the JCM and the JMP. I also have a 1959 (RR) a 2203 (KK) and a 2550. They have the same voicings. One thing that you cannot sync up is that a 1W through ANY speaker will not give you the speaker breakup that a larger one will, so that is one inevitable tonal difference.

In terms of feel, the JCM-1 is responsive to pick attack like a Plexi should be, but it definitely isn't AS responsive as a real plexi. Thus, in terms of feel it IS or ISN'T the same, depending on the way the beholder frames it.

OP, this is the best you're going to get for the time being... a short 2550(Low Power mode)/JCM1 (Jub boost) comparison.

The Jub at half power mode (25w) was the only full head that didn't overwhelm the mobile speaker into a garbled mess. When the compatable mic interface comes out. I'll be able to compare all 3 1W and corresponding full head amps.

So you disagree or agree I can't seem to tell from your post.

V-man

Reaction score
So you disagree or agree I can't seem to tell from your post.

I disagree with the poster but I concede we both can be right, depending on how one defines the parameters. I believe the 1Ws have captured the tone, if not, authentically approximated their original counterparts.

Robert Arthur

Reaction score
*sigh*

Ok, people. The JTM1 has two knobs. Volume...and Tone.

Yes, we all know this. Why are you being such an arrogant prick?

Because people obviously don't pay attention...either to me when I put this info out BEFORE or to the damned INSTRUCTIONS MANUAL that comes with the f***ing amp in the first place.

The TONE knob is a Treble cut/boost knob. At 5, it is neutral. At 0, it's at -15db Treble. At 10, it's at +15db Treble.

That means the amp is HARD-WIRED to sound like a jumpered amp.

So why would you want to boost Treble? Well, ask all the rockers who did just that with their JTM45s. That's why Treble Boost pedals even existed back then. That's also why Marshalls got way more treble bite as time went on. That's what people wanted.

"We roll tonight...to the guitar bite!" JMP? AC/DC - damned right!

These 1-watt amps were designed with the biggest tone sounds of that decade. The JTM1 isn't a carbon-copy of a JTM45. It has more gain built-in than the JTM45 does as well as having that Treble boost function built in with the tone knob.

The JMP1 has WAY more gain than a 1959SLP does...almost like the super-popular SIR #34? Gee, I wonder why? Probably because every Slash-fanboy jizzes their pants over Appetite for Destruction. So they included an extra valve gain stage connected to a button on the back of the amp marked "boost." It's the only one of the 1-watters that got that.

The JCM1 would have been just that, except that another big amp of the '80s was the Silver Jubilee. So what did they do? They added the front "boost" switch in to basically turn the JCM1 into a Silver Jubilee-1. Gives you more gain and a darker voicing.

The DSL1, let's face it...kinda falls short of the big brother DSL100. Why? Mainly because you lost the Crunch mode on the Classic Gain channel. But then they make up for it with a switchable FX Loop.

The JVM1 we haven't even seen or heard from yet, so no one can debate it. But it WILL be the only one of the 1-watters with a Presence control as well as a Resonance switch (a-la Deep switch on the DSL). How it sounds will remain to be seen. I hope the OD channel is OD1 from the JVM and not OD2, but it won't kill me if it's the latter.
A jumpered JTM allows you to do much more than that. If I want it deeper, I turn up the II volume. If I want it thinner, I turn II down and I up. Nothing at all like a treble boost/cut. But, I played the one at GC again last night at GC through a 1960ax and I must say it's grown on me and is truly special in it's own right. I'm buying the JCM1 combo they have on friday for sure.

poeman33

Reaction score
A jumpered JTM allows you to do much more than that. If I want it deeper, I turn up the II volume. If I want it thinner, I turn II down and I up. Nothing at all like a treble boost/cut. But, I played the one at GC again last night at GC through a 1960ax and I must say it's grown on me and is truly special in it's own right. I'm buying the JCM1 combo they have on friday for sure.

That's what I thought too. I have one amp that I can jumper, and I use it to add more grunt and bottom end...not more treble. That's how I set it up for my use, but it can be used differently.

I've found that the lower the volume on my JTM1, the lower the tone knob goes. Crank it up, and move to the tone knob up too for the best sound.

Robert Arthur

Reaction score
That's what I thought too. I have one amp that I can jumper, and I use it to add more grunt and bottom end...not more treble. That's how I set it up for my use, but it can be used differently.

I've found that the lower the volume on my JTM1, the lower the tone knob goes. Crank it up, and move to the tone knob up too for the best sound.
The JTM1 head gets downright crispy but still has a kind of 60's tone. I really want to put my Jeckyll and Hyde in front of it and see what happens...I thought that tone to the far left with a p90 guitar should deliver a sound like "revolution" off the "white album"..that's another thing I'd like to try. First I need to recover from buying the jcm1 combo; then hope they still have the JTM1 head. None of the drop d bunch seem interested in it or even know what it's about, so it will probably still be there.

Darth Federer

Reaction score
The JTM1 head gets downright crispy but still has a kind of 60's tone. I really want to put my Jeckyll and Hyde in front of it and see what happens...I thought that tone to the far left with a p90 guitar should deliver a sound like "revolution" off the "white album"..that's another thing I'd like to try. First I need to recover from buying the jcm1 combo; then hope they still have the JTM1 head. None of the drop d bunch seem interested in it or even know what it's about, so it will probably still be there.

Talk about coming full circle. Glad to hear it.

pleximaster

Reaction score
I got back my super lead today so I added that one slighly different mic angle and another old backetweave cab. This one is not 100% stock its got 3 minor additions a lot like evh amp (I just read that it had a very similar mod) and FB is to 4 ohm tab adding a bit more gain. Same guitar though but with two new strings as I broke them last time. I am playing the riff a bit faster..

In a band situation I prefer the Super bass or the YJM sound. Live the YJM wins as you can knock of a few dB with the EPA. At home the sound of the JMP1 winns!

Playing all by my self at an arena i take the super lead or the 50 watter depending on size... :)

I repost the other clips since the post has increased in size...

Super lead
1968 plexi 100 watt by pleximaster on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Super bass
1969 plexi 100watt by pleximaster on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

YJM
2011 YJM 100 watt by pleximaster on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

JMP1
2012 JMP1 1 watt by pleximaster on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

50 watt Lead
1968 plexi 50 watt by pleximaster on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

JMP1 clips
JMP1 fooling arround... :) by pleximaster on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

with boost
JMP1 with boost on! by pleximaster on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Slaved without boost
JMP1 slaved into 1968 100 watt plexi by pleximaster on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

plexi