A Touch of Class...Class5 Owners Welcome!

• Thread starter DSL100 Dude
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Honestly I wouldn't change the class 5 at all except to add a treble cap as per lyle caldwell. I recorded this this morning with my new sm57. This is just PRS Singlecut > Class 5 with volume set to 6.5 > SM57.

http://ghostsauce.net/random/Soulfire.m4a

The first one sounded like an opening to a sitcom, and the second one sounded like the opening to some kind of animation-domination show. Definitely theme song quality!

iron broadsword

Reaction score
Thanks ^^. The class 5's not really a metal amp by any means, but with a tube screamer it can do well. I'm looking forward to getting a chance to record it un-attenuated to see if the wound widens out. It sounds tiny to me, but that might just mean better mixing/micing.

mypogo66

Reaction score
Hi guys! Just to say that my Class 5 really, really likes my OFA Tube Boost OD pedal! With my LP w/490R-498T, it can do anything from jazz to metal!

Anybody here also uses an OFA pedal in front their Class 5?

not familiar with that pedal, but I run a boss ds-1 in front of mine. same pickups on my LP as yours. i get all the tones i need except metal.

wst

Reaction score
You can get many different tones with your class5: With a Wampler pinnacle deluxe, you get all that modern rock and EVH-stuff and a EHX metal muff will give you some great metal sounds. My secret of different tones is an additional EQ (first a Boss, now a MXR) which gives you a second level of tone or makes any good distortion pedal goin' metal!

tweedman8758

Reaction score
What is a fair price for a used class5 head (nearly mint condition)?

Probably around $350

I picked one up and I modded it with Lyle's mods plus a power scaler. Never liked the sound with the factory cabinet. Sounded much better with either of two Fender 2x12s, one with vintage 30s and the other with greenbacks. Then I picked up a 2061cx cab. That nails the tone for me. The speakers and cab make all the difference. And Lyle's mods take it from a good amp to a great amp.
:jam:

Attachments

• IMG_1531.jpg
    IMG_1531.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 7

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Given there are fewer heads than combos, I wouldn't sell it for anything less than $300 (and really, i'd only sell at that price if i was absolutely sure i didn't want it, and was interested in moving it immediately rather than holding out for a bit more in a few years from now). Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be selling mine at that price, so it's something I've been giving a lot of thought to lately.

bdjone72

Reaction score
Hello. New C5-01 Combo owner but long time Marshall fan (I have a 1990 JCM900 head going into a 1936 2 x 12 cab from when I graduated from high school in 1990!). I picked up the C5 as a bedroom amp but also to use at rehearsals and small gigs where lugging the head and cab around wouldn't be really necessary. I also picked up a 1 x 12 extension speaker cab that I would like to run with the internal 10" speaker simultaneously. I have scoured through the 174 pages of this thread and I essentially understand that in order to do this I can install a second 1/4" external speaker jack in parallel with the stock 1/4" external speaker jack. What I'm not sure about is how to solder up the new speaker jack. I took a quick picture of the inside terminals of the stock external speaker jack. Could someone give me an idea of how I go about running the jumper wires? Just a simple positive to this terminal negative to this terminal would be suffice. If there is an easier way to accomplish this other than installing a second external speaker jack I would entertain those ideas as well. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Attachments

• 20140624_225825.jpg
    20140624_225825.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 10

iron broadsword

Reaction score
Gratz! Oh, it's easy.. you just connect the two lugs of the stock jack to the same two lugs of the new jack. Plug in & enjoy. :D

Alternatively you could make a Y cable that plugs into the stock jack and has two ends. Parallel just means that the two speakers are connected to the same source.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Hello. New C5-01 Combo owner but long time Marshall fan (I have a 1990 JCM900 head going into a 1936 2 x 12 cab from when I graduated from high school in 1990!). I picked up the C5 as a bedroom amp but also to use at rehearsals and small gigs where lugging the head and cab around wouldn't be really necessary. I also picked up a 1 x 12 extension speaker cab that I would like to run with the internal 10" speaker simultaneously. I have scoured through the 174 pages of this thread and I essentially understand that in order to do this I can install a second 1/4" external speaker jack in parallel with the stock 1/4" external speaker jack. What I'm not sure about is how to solder up the new speaker jack. I took a quick picture of the inside terminals of the stock external speaker jack. Could someone give me an idea of how I go about running the jumper wires? Just a simple positive to this terminal negative to this terminal would be suffice. If there is an easier way to accomplish this other than installing a second external speaker jack I would entertain those ideas as well. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Guess that explains why it's taken you 7 months to make a post :lol:

Welcome :wave:

bdjone72

Reaction score
Gratz! Oh, it's easy.. you just connect the two lugs of the stock jack to the same two lugs of the new jack. Plug in & enjoy. :D

Alternatively you could make a Y cable that plugs into the stock jack and has two ends. Parallel just means that the two speakers are connected to the same source.

So this Y cable would have a set of spades on one end to plug into the stock speaker and a 1/4" jack on the other two ends?

bdjone72

Reaction score
Guess that explains why it's taken you 7 months to make a post :lol:

Welcome :wave:

Ha! No I'm just not the type to post a lot if at all, I guess that makes me a troll. I like to come to these forums to find info and more often than not I find what I'm looking for without having to post a question. In this case I couldn't find what I needed thus I had to post the question.

Thank you for the welcome nonetheless!

The Ozzk

Reaction score
So this Y cable would have a set of spades on one end to plug into the stock speaker and a 1/4" jack on the other two ends?

Power_Y_I.jpg

$36 FTW!

Pro Cables N Sound Power Y Speaker Cables, high quality Y cables for speaker cabs and combo amps

Latest posts