Adam Jones Marshall

• Thread starter jonl
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jonl

Reaction score
Here is a screen shot of Adam's Super bass/ Super Lead.
Has anyone tried this on there's to see if it gets that Undertow tone?
I thought the volume on these had to be maxed to get that power tube push aka crunch ala Jones.

Screenshot2013-01-27at11802PM-1.png

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Is that an older or recent shot? He probably cranked it to insane levels for Undertow, but backs off the volume since he blends it with a Dual Recto and/or Diezel.

Alt Freak

Reaction score
That's probably from the rig rundown for their 2010 show in San Francisco

jonl

Reaction score
He has 2 VH4's next to it in this shot...
I have the VH4 so I would like the Marshall to mix with it.

Alt Freak

Reaction score
He has several little mods done to the superbass. I don't think you're going to get Undertow tone from the settings in that picture

jonl

Reaction score
He has several little mods done to the superbass. I don't think you're going to get Undertow tone from the settings in that picture

Indeed he has mods, I have heard from Friedman that it's basically mod back to
Super Lead spec.

Alt Freak

Reaction score
I can try and find one but if you're going to try and buy a metal face super bass to get that tone here is some info on the amp

His Super Bass is a late 70's. Probably a '76. It's been modified to Super Lead spec. .68 bypass caps on both V1 and V2. .022 caps throughout. 100k NFB on the 4ohm tap. Channels Jumped. Cab is a Marshall 4x12 of some sort, most likely with Celestion G12-65's or G12M's. Heil mics are used and he intentionally creates some phasing with his live setup.

jonl

Reaction score
It's older than 76...look at the switches on his amp, they are metal toggle switches.
76 they had the plastic switches.

They are greenbacks in his cab, I would buy a Super Lead and just jam with it.
Was just wondering if anyone has tried the volume level here to see if it gets that crunch.

Alt Freak

Reaction score
It's not earlier than 74, probably not earlier than 75.

I don't know if at that volume you're going to get his tone or crunch.

Alt Freak

Reaction score
This show at JC Dobbs in Philly is the best video and recording of Adam and his Marshall from the Undertow days.

Probably the closet or best shot you're going to see of his amp when he's playing. Not really close enough to see the settings. There is also some footage of them recording undertow and being in the studio doing shit. Lots of footage but I haven't really watched much of it.

A personal favorite

Last edited by a moderator:

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
undertow was mostly SUNN amps.

I'm almost positive the SUNN amp claim was a joke, the same as keeping his Marshall head in the freezer "to preserve its tone". He's as bad or worse than EVH on spreading misinformation. I would bet the farm Undertow was a blend of the Marshall and a Dual Rec.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
eh. i don't care honestly. not a fan. undertow's the only album i liked really honestly.

i do like a perfect circle mer de noms and the last one a bit but Adams playing always irked me. sounds like a bassist playing guitar and maynard's just a tool.

but maynard has a good voice for that one key and adam has interesting riffs so they have their strengths as well.

Alt Freak

Reaction score
They're not a band for people who like shred guitar. You like em or you don't!

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
shred has nothing to do with it alt but if that works as an explanation/rationalization for you then i'll let you run with it. i already explained why i don't like them. but yeah it's not a big deal it's just personal taste. i don't hate them they're just not sonicaly appealing to me. everyone likes differen stuff.t.

Alt Freak

Reaction score
That comment didn't really put across what I was trying to say. I know some of the stuff you like is pretty technical guitar work, but you also like bands like Nirvana so you have taste for a lot of different music. You're entitled to your own opinion of the band and I respect that :thumb:

Nothing serious meant :)

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
That comment didn't really put across what I was trying to say. I know some of the stuff you like is pretty technical guitar work, but you also like bands like Nirvana so you have taste for a lot of different music. You're entitled to your own opinion of the band and I respect that :thumb:

Nothing serious meant :)
yeah no i wasn't really sure what you meant in truth but yeah i got you.

yeah i don't hate them at all and agreed. i like some of their work and what i don't like i still see MERIT in for sure. they make pop songs out of prog and prog out of pop and always with an inside joke which i do like it's just those two little details that get to me sometimes. really though i think there's a couple things in everything i don't like lol including my own work (more in mine actualy. i think i like tool better than myself lol)

but yeah i may have been defensive for no reason there my bad.

i do like some of their work though i'm just not a "fan" i guess is more accurate.

i AM a NIRVANA fan though. i like everything they did.

i like a lot more alternative/punk than i do metal even though i play metal lol.

derail here but i'm doing a rendition of something in the way on my album too. not metal but not the same. much more agro (no scream/cookie though) more like doomy and dark with a bit of dissonance. if you can imagine Neurosis covering it but still singing. that's kinda what i'm doing with it.

Last edited:

drewfx

Reaction score
I am a big Tool fan, probably the one band that got me into guitar, along with a lot of nu-metal and black metal when I was 16/17.

I'm pretty sure Undertow is 100% Marshall. He didn't get the Boogie stuff until Aenima.