Adam Jones Marshall

• Thread starter jonl
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm hearing that clip above... There's NO way that's a stock cranked Superbass or Superlead. Listen closely at :35 and you can hear a sudden hiss when he goes to his monitor. There has to be a dirt pedal being used.

I'm starting to think it's modded. The Hairy Brown Eye mod that @NewReligion did on my 2203x sounds VERY similar to Adam's core tone... that leads me to believe that Dave Friedman (who services Adam's Marshalls) is lying about "returning it to stock Superlead specs" and actually modded the thing for high gain.

FourT6and2

Reaction score
It's just a stock super lead. I built one exactly to the specs Friedman shared and it sounded just like the tone from that JC Dobbs show. Most likely has a pedal pushing the front end, like that MXR micro amp or some such thing. Not because a Marshall can't get that aggressive without one, but for volume issues. You're not cranking a super lead into overdrive in a small bar like JC Dobbs.

Here's a different amp I recently built (hot-rodded Marshall). I play a bunch of Tool riffs. Not supposed to be Adam's tone here, but I like Tool obviously.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
It's just a stock super lead. I built one exactly to the specs Friedman shared and it sounded just like the tone from that JC Dobbs show. Most likely has a pedal pushing the front end, like that MXR micro amp or some such thing. Not because a Marshall can't get that aggressive without one, but for volume issues. You're not cranking a super lead into overdrive in a small bar like JC Dobbs.

Here's a different amp I recently built (hot-rodded Marshall). I play a bunch of Tool riffs. Not supposed to be Adam's tone here, but I like Tool obviously.

Do you have a link to Friedman discussing Adam's amp specs?

FourT6and2

Reaction score
It was posted already in this thread...

Super Lead spec
.68 bypass caps in V1a/b and V2a
0.022uF couplers in every position
100K/4ohm tap for NFB
.68 presence cap
JJ tubes
Biased a bit cold

Nothing magical.

Cazo

Reaction score
HEY friends

Big Tool fan here

Undertow was played live with 3 amps:
The Marshall superbass (turned in a superlead)
A dual rectifier 100W
A diezel vh4 blue face

Then, after the Undertow tour, he droped away his Dual rectifier, not enough botom end...

The Dose of Harmony

Reaction score
Indeed he has mods, I have heard from Friedman that it's basically mod back to
Super Lead spec.
I think thats not true !
I asked him that direcly in live show and He said that he just service the amp, no mods
Unless He lie!