More MIAB room sound clip Madness

• Thread starter jeffb
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jeffb

Reaction score
Maybe not madness, but the chase never ends....I've been messing around with speakers and different pedals with my Origin 20H as usual. I think this has been the closest to what I've been trying to achieve, so far, by far. Been using this for several weeks, and really having fun with this setup (not perfect, but whatever).

Les Paul w/ Wolfetone Marshallheads>Pedals (only MIAB used for this clip)>Origin 20H (All JJ- E34Ls. V1=803S/V2 & V3=2x83S) > Rockcrusher>1xG12H30 55hz- 8 ohms (in the EVH 2x12)

A couple of short noodles with craptacular playing as always (watch the levels at first- zoom has to auto comp).

The WAV conversion and (lack of) upload quality makes it sound a little buzzier than it actually is in the room (the room sounds harsh as is- loft, very open, no carpet, harsh frequencies bouncing around everywhere)

One thing I did recently was ditch using my G12Ms and mess around with H mags only. They are more articulate at lower volumes (no matter what you are using them for) and keep MIAB/Gain pedals from turning to low mid mud and bass mush. V30 @ 16ohms by itself has been working out well...really well, but the H30 55hz, run by itself at 8 ohms just has the midrange I prefer- and the amp seems to respond to 8 ohm load better for pedals than a 16 ohm load.

Second thing I did, which I wish I had done years ago is grab a good power supply for my pedals. Amazing the difference in how much better my pedals sound and how much reduced noise there is over my old godlyke/one spot thing. I can now roll my volumes off for cleans and not have the noise overwhelm the volume of the guitar signal. I picked up the Cioks7 or however it's spelled. HUGE DIFFERENCE. I should really do a short A/B between it and my old one.

Third thing- I pulled out the old Bogner LaGrange on a whim and really did a deep tweak dive. Fiddling around with different modes/options) At some point it just "clicked" with my rig. I have NEVER liked this thing except the boost function. I just kept it for the past several years out of laziness in trying to sell it. Now, really glad I did not as it eliminates all the issues I have with the Plexidrive (squishy attack/lack of feel) and the Friedman pedals (not doing the classic Marshall NMV thing all that well- they are their own thing)

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clips sound great to me. :yesway:
Finding a dirt pedal (or 4 :D) and speaker setup you like is a key to getting good tones from the Origin20 - imo.

And that's a nice tube set you're running.
The O20 seems to me to react more than subtly to different tubes.
Well worth rolling a few tubes to see what works for you.

I'm also a +1 for H mags and a good power supply.
And a decent noise gate did wonders in solving my dirt pedal noise issues.

Plexitim

Reaction score
Haha. What you call "craptacular" I call ear candy. I appreciate the effort that went into you laying down grooves to show what it sounds like in your tone quest.

Sounds Really Good, and talking "about" tone is impossible to explain with just words.

Hearing is believing. NICELY done!

Smoulton08

Reaction score
Sounds great. I have the Origin 20 head and would love to find that tone in it and get that grit out of it. I use a lot of pedals to try and get it with the amp but struggle to get it with just the amp itself.

What sort of settings do you have the amp set at? And are you playing at the 20w power level or lower?

rmlevasseur

Reaction score
I have 9 dirt boxes on my board currently, primarily because they work so well with the Origin. It is amazing how each box adds it's own thing. My boxes are:

1)Zap Master (rangemaster)
2)Tomb Sender (fuzz)
3)TS9
4)Wish Klon
5)Protein (Nobels OD1 and Bluesbreaker)
6)BB Preamp
7)Morning Glory
8)Caline Pure Drive (Timmy)
9) EH Russian Big Muff

This is not a gigging board, it just sits in my basement, with most chains in loops where things like fuzzes don't want anything in front. I also use an SP compressor which can add its own brand of dirt which I sometimes like too. It's very fun to combine pedals to get just about whatever tone I want, but there are lots of times when they are just all off too. The Origin is just a great amp, even without pedals.

Attachments

• board.jpg
    board.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 6

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the Origin 20 head and would love to find that tone in it and get that grit out of it. I use a lot of pedals to try and get it with the amp but struggle to get it with just the amp itself.
Just the Origin20 amp itself is what it is.
You can tweak it a bit with speakers and tubes, but pedals are what makes the O20 come alive.
If you want this amp to sound like a different amp without pedals, get a different amp.

Here's my current O20#1 board.
A-O20HB.jpg
Running stereo with #2, they share the front end and the Zoom G3 is EQ/TBE in the loop for #2.
A-O20x2.jpg

Smoulton08

Reaction score
Just the Origin20 amp itself is what it is.
You can tweak it a bit with speakers and tubes, but pedals are what makes the O20 come alive.
If you want this amp to sound like a different amp without pedals, get a different amp.

Here's my current O20#1 board.
View attachment 157903
Running stereo with #2, they share the front end and the Zoom G3 is EQ/TBE in the loop for #2.
View attachment 157904
Totally get that pedals make the origin 20 amp come alive. I have a board with about 5 different overdrives (not counting fuzz pedals) that I use to get my tones out of it. So I can get a pretty good tone and what I’m looking for. But the original poster said he was just using a Marshall amp in a box pedal with it, and his tone sounded great so I was just curious on his set up more than anything.