Can anyone identify this pedal hidden in this echoplex ? (Van Halen)

• Thread starter pat_rocks
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ReWind James

Reaction score
Hey pitbull check this i finally have the pictures in High resolution i bought the japanese magazine and it's not a phaser because it's not written speed at the bottom of the knob but something longer !

even if it's not wired it's still there.

View attachment 157788

it seems that it's a noise gate.

this magazine has a ton of infos and good pictures.

It's a Noise Gate. The text says "THRESHOLD" under the knob.

pat_rocks

Reaction score
It’s interesting because in the pictures I got for vh1 there isn’t any Urei compressor but dbx 160 and 162 compressors they have 4 160 2 for right and left and the 162 as a general compressor. Threshold at 9 o clock compression at max and The gain is slightly boosted like 5%. That’s the settings for the option gain change.

ElvisNixon

Reaction score
Some weirdness on the bottom pic. The Echoplex on the left has a short patch cable going from the input directly to the output jack.

IMG_1473.jpeg

ElvisNixon

Reaction score
It’s interesting because in the pictures I got for vh1 there isn’t any Urei compressor but dbx 160 and 162 compressors they have 4 160 2 for right and left and the 162 as a general compressor. Threshold at 9 o clock compression at max and The gain is slightly boosted like 5%. That’s the settings for the option gain change.
Are the DBX 160 and 162 in the studio rack at Sunset Sound or EVH’s guitar rack?

As @PelliX said above, there are about 10 major revisions to the 1176 and they each sound and behave very differently and settings from a RevA will be completely different than a Rev F.

Here’s a great company located in Daytona Beach that meticulously reverse engineers classic studio gear using top shelf components and they’re made in their facility. I have several of the originals and several of Audioscape’s units and they nail each piece of the design. The Audioscapes are better than some of the vintage ones. Their LA2A is one of them.

Click on each piece of gear for tons of information about vintage studio gear. They make 3 revisions of the most popular. The revision A ,F and G. They also recently introduced the dual mono DBX 160 just like the original 160 I also own. Their prices are incredibly low for USA made replicas using correct NOS parts and having custom replica parts made. I have no affiliation with Audioscape other than a happy customer. They make a lot of gear that’s available in 240V/50Hz too.

Audioscape Engineering

pat_rocks

Reaction score
Are the DBX 160 and 162 in the studio rack at Sunset Sound or EVH’s guitar rack?

As @PelliX said above, there are about 10 major revisions to the 1176 and they each sound and behave very differently and settings from a RevA will be completely different than a Rev F.

Here’s a great company located in Daytona Beach that meticulously reverse engineers classic studio gear using top shelf components and they’re made in their facility. I have several of the originals and several of Audioscape’s units and they nail each piece of the design. The Audioscapes are better than some of the vintage ones. Their LA2A is one of them.

Click on each piece of gear for tons of information about vintage studio gear. They make 3 revisions of the most popular. The revision A ,F and G. They also recently introduced the dual mono DBX 160 just like the original 160 I also own. Their prices are incredibly low for USA made replicas using correct NOS parts and having custom replica parts made. I have no affiliation with Audioscape other than a happy customer. They make a lot of gear that’s available in 240V/50Hz too.

Audioscape Engineering
They are in the guitar rack for the Japanese tour of 1978. For the Japanese tour of 1979 they disappeared and the Urei made their appearance. Who knows if sunset sound used those too. I will scan the racks tomorrow.

Yeah for the urei It’s hard to know which revision of the model was used

Nice website ^^!

pat_rocks

Reaction score
Some weirdness on the bottom pic. The Echoplex on the left has a short patch cable going from the input directly to the output jack.

View attachment 157855
that’s weird

Perhaps that in the bottom pic the equipment was getting stored. That could explain why the cables were nonsense ?

One interesting thing is that in the signal the eq are always directly after the amps.

I think the setups is for dry : amps mxr eq to input splitter then to the pedal board

For the wet setup it must be amps then both eq in parallel then 2 echoplexes then going to input splitter and finally to the pedalboard.

I can be wrong but that’s how I’m imagining it right know.

Last edited:

PelliX

Reaction score
that’s weird

Perhaps that in the bottom pic the equipment was getting stored. That could explain why the cables were nonsense ?

I think that one was just being used to prop up the EQ physically. Without that tiny patch lead it would fall down easily, simple as that.

pat_rocks

Reaction score
The MXR micro amp came out in 1979-1980 Edward couldn’t have used it in 1978 the only time Edward used the MXR micro amp was 1984 and it was also the last time
Hey Look at this Pittbull : the early racks for VH

rack schaffer-min.jpg

Another impressive thing. I just discovered that in 1978 eddie slaved his amps into 2203 amps too. This means that jcm 800 could have been used. This explains why the mod 5 sounds this good. The mod 5 is inspired by the jcm 800.

2203 1978.jpg

i recently have a very weird picture of the early club days which is very difficult to find it took me many hours to get it. It seems that eddie is using a josé amp with not one but two extra gain stages... I'll show this picture in my video when finished.

Last edited:

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
for you that's an update on how my amp sounds... i finally found where my issues with recording were...

This is the stock amp only with the schaffer storm engaged and a lil reverb :

when i'll finish my pedalboard i'll go to the studio. Meanwhile i'll try to dial my setup on cakewalk

Woooo weeeee....ouch. That's a little shrill and raspy, don'tcha think??

Not bad per se, but a bit too much "Eddy" for Eddy, yes?

pat_rocks

Reaction score
Very cool, DBX compressors interesting
finally there is this one...
remember the wood one ? it used to be red orange or purple here it is :

orange head.jpg

dual gain stage Arredondo speciality... I rencently had someone who showed me an exclusive amp owned by david lee roth which also had the dual gain stage...

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (10).jpg

this is a plexi anniversary model. just look at the freaking mods on this extra tube xD. This thing is sick unfortunately he wasn't able to gather all the component values under the orange drops... the guy who will get it will be very lucky. if i'm right José just cascaded 3 2k7 .68 gain stages together... Guy was crazy haha

Last edited: