Addicted to boost pedals, why and what's wrong???

• Thread starter Silverburst
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Silverburst

Reaction score
It could be the Breed pickups as well. IMO, they don't sound/feel super tight IMO. It's actually more classic like if that makes any sense...

hmmm. well I'm gonna try a jem with Evo's. although JS's pickups are also quite classic no?

Last edited:

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
Also just an FYI. there's no such thing as WRONG in art. if you like what you're doing then you're doing it right.

there are "correct" techniques and so on regarding playing an instrument but most of the cool things invented even therein were by doing things the "incorrect" way.

Silverburst

Reaction score
Also just an FYI. there's no such thing as WRONG in art. if you like what you're doing then you're doing it right.

there are "correct" techniques and so on regarding playing an instrument but most of the cool things invented even therein were by doing things the "incorrect" way.

Yeah I get that. Just figuring out why I need a booster in front of such an amp's crunch/OD channels.

wiorys

Reaction score
Because that's Marshall signature sound. Stock, unboosted Marshall amp isn't suited (I haven't played 410 though) for tight modern metal.

Because it's tube amp hahaha. Solid state amps are much tighter. So many players use solid state pedals to enhance tube amps hahaha (nothing wrong there, just pointing some hyprocrisy)

Of course it depends on your guitar, pickups.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvoCK3bK9JM]marshallfd - YouTube[/ame]
I know - shitty playing, but that's not important. At 1:44 im turning off my boost etc. I use Joyo Ultimate Drive for boosting, it's similar to OCD, I like it more than TS-9 because it doesn't make your sound 'rounder' like tubescreamers tend to do.
It sounds very thin on that video - bad camera position. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr3J52oc7yo]dscf1890 lowaloa - YouTube[/ame] better one

You just need to crank it to get decent tightness. With old amps like 800 you get full, heavy sound when amp is cranked. I'm not so sure that applies to modern amps like DSL or 6100 - imho they sound quite thin compared to old amps.

Anyway cranked they're still not as tight as other modern amps. To be honest I think it's a bad amp design, I don't see the point to have so much gain if it's useless.

I think they want to keep it simple and there is also legacy thing - people want that old simple Marshall and won't buy plexi with resonance, depth knobs because it wouldn't be a plexi to them anymore. I hate that but that's a business.

Even when they do modern marshall it still sounds like a Marshall but with a different flavor. Maybe AFD or JVM410 is different, I don't know, but many others are just thin, loose compared to modern amps if you like high gain tones.

I would like to see Marshall doing something similar to Splawn or Marsha, Friedman etc - modern, tight, like it should be. With 3 channels, I don't think that it's so expensive to add 2 channels, probably transformers and tubes are the most expensive parts. But still some companies do 1 channel amp and they're quite expensive - why ? - my quess it's just a marketing thing.

Mosher Zone

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with boosting to make your tone better, I've used an SD-1 in the past to give me that extra push for lead but I've become obsessed with onboard preamps such as mid boost, treble & bass boost or just a plain dB boost can make all the differance & as RazorDave said tighten up your tone.

Silverburst

Reaction score
I'm still a bit stuck in this enigma. Just can't play without a boost, I have to have it on! ;) don't know why that would be the case with an amp as the JVM JS.

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
A little late to the party but it seems you are still having this dilemma..

SoloDallas' vid is a 2204 as you said. Which doesnt have anywhere near the gain of the JS. More gain = more bass which can get loose.

The answer is to use less gain ! If you like SoloDallas' tone don't get out of the crunch channel. Crunch red on your amp is to die for ! Spend ALOT of time in the crunch channel orange and red modes. Trust me..

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I get that. Just figuring out why I need a booster in front of such an amp's crunch/OD channels.
it tightens up the amp (compresses the signal by boosting it into overdrive)

it's normal to use a boost on a tube amp. almost all the pros do it (that play any amount of high gain even medium).

modern amps have the boost and compression "built in" to the signal path. it's all it is man. people freak out too much over what they use instead of WHY they use it. tube amps sound better with a boost or compressor. you do it because it sounds better and/or feels better.

DirtySanchez666

Reaction score
I was running a jcm800 with a Keeley modified ts. Now I have the jvmjs and the red crunch channel just destroys what I had. I run it through a mesa recto cab (I have 1960A and B cabs but haven't used them with it) and it's just brutal. Crunchy and tight. No fizz or flub just massive roaring chunk and leads that sizzle. I love the fact I don't need to drive it. Palm muting through this thing has been knocking shit off my walls. Maybe you have a preamp tube going?

Silverburst

Reaction score
Hey DirtySanchez, thanks or your input man. Alright now that sounds interesting. If it even beats your boosted JCM800 in terms of brutality, tightness, palm muting galore....

What guitar/pickups are you putting trough the amp ?
Could you share the setting of your crunch red, just as a reference.

I'd be very curious as well how it compares when you put it trough a 1960B (G12T75 I presume?) as opposed to the V30 loaded Mesa? It is a fact that these Mesa's pack quite some ommpf.

I'm gonna test a mates Evolution equiped jem as my Breed's are quite fat. But I have to say I have the same with other guitars as well. Guess a set of preamp tubes wouldn't hurt anyways. The amp came overseas from UK, so "going back to the shop" is not really an option.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
I was running a jcm800 with a Keeley modified ts. Now I have the jvmjs and the red crunch channel just destroys what I had. I run it through a mesa recto cab (I have 1960A and B cabs but haven't used them with it) and it's just brutal. Crunchy and tight. No fizz or flub just massive roaring chunk and leads that sizzle. I love the fact I don't need to drive it. Palm muting through this thing has been knocking shit off my walls. Maybe you have a preamp tube going?
That's the one i want too. I use recto standard size cabs as well with all my amps. I'm using a Framus Dragon as my main amp but i plan on getting the jvmjs eventualy once they're around used. that seems like the perfect compliment. i'll have real tones ranging from past to present with those as my two headed rig and for most things i will use an axe fx II (but with those tone matched into it:D)

DirtySanchez666

Reaction score
Hey DirtySanchez, thanks or your input man. Alright now that sounds interesting. If it even beats your boosted JCM800 in terms of brutality, tightness, palm muting galore....

What guitar/pickups are you putting trough the amp ?
Could you share the setting of your crunch red, just as a reference.

I'd be very curious as well how it compares when you put it trough a 1960B (G12T75 I presume?) as opposed to the V30 loaded Mesa? It is a fact that these Mesa's pack quite some ommpf.

I'm gonna test a mates Evolution equiped jem as my Breed's are quite fat. But I have to say I have the same with other guitars as well. Guess a set of preamp tubes wouldn't hurt anyways. The amp came overseas from UK, so "going back to the shop" is not really an option.

I mainly use a 1980 Les Paul Custom with 490r/498t pups. My settings channel vol 6 bass 5 mid 4 trebble 6 gain 9 presence 5 resonance 6 noise gate 5, so basically everything hovering around noon except the gain. The signal in is line 6 g50, korg pitch black Tuner, cae 404 wah, analog man modded mxr script 90 reissue through a PedalSnake into the head. In the loop I have an analog man comprosser, mxr analog chorus, and an analog man delay. I liked the mesa cab a lot better than the 1960's with the jcm800 so I haven't even tried them with the jvmjs. Masa builds some awesome cabs.:cool2:

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
it's a scratch track (as in i'm redoing it but this was a demo i posted for people to get an idea) this is without a boost but it's a Framus Dragon.
i can get this same sound without a boost (or rather same feel not sound) with my tubemeister and almost identicle witha 2203 and no boost.
Very close with a well set up DSL, any 900 or 800....a jvm....pretty much any higher gain marshall i can get this tone or close.
but jtm-45/VM and JMD are the ticket for ac/dc tones imo.
https://soundcloud.com/diesect20022000/dirt-queen-demo

maybe your pickups or caps in your guitar are shot?

just thinking of other possibilities here but generaly once again we use boosts with tube amps...it's pretty normal/common place :)

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
I mainly use a 1980 Les Paul Custom with 490r/498t pups. My settings channel vol 6 bass 5 mid 4 trebble 6 gain 9 presence 5 resonance 6 noise gate 5, so basically everything hovering around noon except the gain. The signal in is line 6 g50, korg pitch black Tuner, cae 404 wah, analog man modded mxr script 90 reissue through a PedalSnake into the head. In the loop I have an analog man comprosser, mxr analog chorus, and an analog man delay. I liked the mesa cab a lot better than the 1960's with the jcm800 so I haven't even tried them with the jvmjs. Masa builds some awesome cabs.:cool2:
what's funny is i had both a few years back and i swapped out the 75's in my 1960A and put them in my standard sized mesa 4x12a and it sounded fuller, warmer and more dynamic so it IS the cabs as WELL as the speakers.

i prefer marshall amps over mesa tonewise (build....well.......not as much)
and they really just sound better to ME with mesa cabs. JVM sounds stellar with V30's and greenies and the DSL sounds okay with V30's but stellar with 75's and greenies but mesa cabs....ALWAYS mesa cabs for me unless it's just jamming/rehearsal but recording is always mesa cab. preferably marshall and framus heads though given the chance.

gdh1532

Reaction score
If I'm using a stock jcm 800 or something like that , I liked to use a tube screamer, or something along those lines. the newer amps that's high gain, I just plug the guitar straight in to the amp.. any effects are in the loop. I don't use compression on high gain amps.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
If I'm using a stock jcm 800 or something like that , I liked to use a tube screamer, or something along those lines. the newer amps that's high gain, I just plug the guitar straight in to the amp.. any effects are in the loop. I don't use compression on high gain amps.
the link in my signature "Dirt Queen" is my standard metal tone on the crunch of my dragon (crunch channel/2) but without a boost. when i want metal i click my boost on but yeah this amp's JUST tight enough without a boost to play metal. modern metal.....it still needs a boost but i haven't used an amp that doesn't need one for modern metal.

but yeah that's the exact same setting i use for EVERY SONG i record now. no post eq same mix method. only difference is guitar(electronics) and boost.

boost it and that's my metal tone :) but if i'm playing even 90's metal (not nu metal......that's downtuned sludgey rock not metal lol) i use a boost for solos or not at all. for anything high gain and from 2004 and up a boost is pretty much mandatory( i'm talking God FOrbid-antihero, Killswitch Engage My last seranade or anything off the end of heartache album, avenged sevenfold city of evil etc here all the way up to new stuff like animals as leaders, born of osiris and periphery or lamb of god for some more 04 and earlier.....)

Latest posts