Advice On Gigging A Marshall

• Thread starter Buzzard
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Toby Krewbs

Reaction score
how does that 401 do in clubs? loud enough?
Its plenty loud and I either mic it or use my Palmer Cab Sim DI box with it.I did put an old Rola Celestion in it though and do use another cab under it sometimes.
Great amps.I want another one.

Toby Krewbs

Reaction score
There are many ways to put it across live and mantain a sane volume. I like to work and get asked back lol!
If you have great singers and musicians in your band who dont spend every break drinking ( dulls your hearing) and then playing louder after that break you can get a good sound pressure level.
I always let the audience ears adjust for about 20 min before I wind it up. Yes the days of 5 nights a week/ leaving your gear set up for 3 years at a time/ playing louder than"blank" in a 400 seat club are long over.

It is all one nighters now setup/ teardown and go on to the next one. I have learned how to thrive in these times without too many compromises lol!But I have a good skill set/ reading skills and can still sing my ass off and deliver a tune to an audience at 55 years old.

jross68052

Reaction score
I have a lot of amps. I have found that the high gain amps, like the JVM, JCM2000, etc. are great to plug into and play. If you want an amp with pedals as your overdrive and distortion, these are not the best. Your better off with an older marshall with lots on clean headroom. Or I might add a Fender amp with a ton of clean headroom and some sweet reverb. The high gain amps are awesome but they can get quite noisy, compressed, and lose tone with anything up front. That's my take on this.

JCMDOUG

Reaction score
Lots high gain amps get their drive/distortion by pushing the preamp side. older amps it was turn it up and drive the output tubes or put a pedal in the front. I have had good results with lower gain 12ax7s and mods to the power amp section of my JVMs to wake them up and remove some compression. My JMD1 50 watt head with a few mods to the power amp at low gain settings loves pedals and has lots of clean headroom. I have turned my amp so it shoot across the stage just not to kill the people in the front and still get my tone.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Change your logos...people who run clubs generally don't care to see Marshall logos on the property...;)

The trusty 4010..Every bit a proper Marshall (count the knobs ;) ) ....although it doesn't cut it for me outdoors,still makes me money ...

I own all the big phallic amps imaginable .....but I also play music for a living ....and usually ,it's not the Albert Hall that Im playin (even though I've played there too) So I don't always have the satisfaction of a 1/2 stack ,much less a stack
Gotta be flexible & adjust . Man, I almost never use my 100 watters indoors ,can't think of the last time I did .
The people in a club ,restaurant, coffee house , HOUSE dont give a damn how good you think your "plexi" tone is . How many of you mofos really have a "plexi" anyway ? I got one .....it's 200 watts loud as fck ,cant use it on a gig ,cept to play bass ....maybe

My advice, make sure you have a 5 watter and a 20 watter to jack into your cabinet when the club people are freakin.
I did a gig not too long ago , Pro Junior thru a 1965a cab ,tone couldn't have been better

Anthony King

Reaction score
Well said Alvis X. I have just one amp at this time..'74 JMP 100W and it's way too loud so I use an attenuator. I would get a 20-40 watt combo or use a 2x12 cab and low wattage head. A lower wattage head allows you to crank it up and sound great without killing everyone's ears. Most people don't like to get assaulted with a 100 watt JMP head..believe me I've been told by countless sound guys and friends! My attenuator helps me out with this problem. My next amp will be a low wattage NMV head..somewhere between 20-40 watts tops..

johnfv

Reaction score
...How many of you mofos really have a "plexi" anyway ? I got one .....it's 200 watts loud as fck ,cant use it on a gig ,cept to play bass ....maybe
My 1959T has been used for bass a number of times and even for that it's pretty freaking loud. It does make a nice clean amp and I've gigged it that way a number of times :)

Toby Krewbs

Reaction score
Change your logos...people who run clubs generally don't care to see Marshall logos on the property...;)

The trusty 4010..Every bit a proper Marshall (count the knobs ;) ) ....although it doesn't cut it for me outdoors,still makes me money ...

I own all the big phallic amps imaginable .....but I also play music for a living ....and usually ,it's not the Albert Hall that Im playin (even though I've played there too) So I don't always have the satisfaction of a 1/2 stack ,much less a stack
Gotta be flexible & adjust . Man, I almost never use my 100 watters indoors ,can't think of the last time I did .
The people in a club ,restaurant, coffee house , HOUSE dont give a damn how good you think your "plexi" tone is . How many of you mofos really have a "plexi" anyway ? I got one .....it's 200 watts loud as fck ,cant use it on a gig ,cept to play bass ....maybe

My advice, make sure you have a 5 watter and a 20 watter to jack into your cabinet when the club people are freakin.
I did a gig not too long ago , Pro Junior thru a 1965a cab ,tone couldn't have been better

The Pro Junior kills! I love mine!