AFD100 users - anyone like #34 mode? I don't...

• Thread starter Twinfan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Twinfan

Reaction score
I can't be the only one who finds it too thin, lacking in gain, and pretty much useless? Both at home and with a band?

Or am I? :wtf:

How the hell does Slash use it??? Everything on 10???

JHall55

Reaction score
I don't mind it at all. It's actually a lot cleaner than I thought it would be. In a pinch I would even use it as my clean channel. It doesn't come close to the AFD mode...that channel is awesome!

To answer your question...I'm don't think Slash does use it. From what I understand he runs this amp on AFD and still uses his old silver jub for cleans.

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't mind it at all. It's actually a lot cleaner than I thought it would be. In a pinch I would even use it as my clean channel. It doesn't come close to the AFD mode...that channel is awesome!

To answer your question...I'm don't think Slash does use it. From what I understand he runs this amp on AFD and still uses his old silver jub for cleans.

I saw a picture of Slash's stage setup where he had three AFD100's side by side, and there was a tag on one of the AFD100's that said "clean".

tarznamps

Reaction score
I thought the same thing until I spent a little more time with it.

It does sound too thin by itself. But it sounds perfect in the mix, with a band, etc.

Reaction score
this guy does...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkqGmcyvZNA]YouTube - Marshall AFD 100 demo SLASH sound clip[/ame]

see the description and comments....

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
this guy does...

YouTube - Marshall AFD 100 demo SLASH sound clip

see the description and comments....

Heres his comments. All positive:

Long clip of fat old me trying in vain to do the amp justice by throwing some half hearted Slash shapes!

Marshall AFD100 with 1979 Gibson les paul with alnico 2 pros and a Maxon 808 od pedal.

Used a Maxon 808 OD pedal just to kick it into saturation a little more. After playing it for a while I prefer the tone of the 34 mode over the AFD mode. Its got quite a bit less gain so I wanted a pedal that would kick out some saturation without changin the tone at all and the Maxon is killer. The 34 mode is a lot brighter not thinner than AFD mode, its just got the Use your illusion guitar sound down to a T and thats the sound I've always been after since I started playing.

Love the amp, i'm a happy man. Not the most versatile amp in the world but when it does one thing as well as this who gives a shit!

Settings are roughly as follows-

Power - 4 (around 20 watts)
Pres- 4
Bass - 7
Mid - 6
Tre - 4
Master - 6
Gain - 6-7

Twinfan

Reaction score
He cheats by using an OD pedal though!

It does sound too thin by itself. But it sounds perfect in the mix, with a band, etc.

What settings are you using? I used it in rehearsal with the SLash settings and it was still really thin?

kelv_w

Reaction score
I am learning to like it, it's thin but has the clarity. Ain't too bad after spending some time tweaking the eq.

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
I am learning to like it, it's thin but has the clarity. Ain't too bad after spending some time tweaking the eq.

What speakers are you using kelv?

Guitar pickups and speakers are going to cause different reviews of the AFD100.

Twinfan

Reaction score
I'm using a Pearly Gates LP with a Matamp 4x12 and Celestion Golds.

I'm surprised at how thin it sounds...

dismalswamp

Reaction score
My mind isn't made up yet. Thing is the #34 mode to me just doesn't sound like the illusions at all. Take the intro riff to Don't Damn Me - #34 sounds nothing like that at all with the everything at 6 settings. Even with bass, mid and treble rolled up it is still thin and lacks the smooth biting overdrive. The AFD mode on the other hand to my ears sits somewhere between the illusion and appetite sound and can easily be persuaded in either direction with a little eq'ing. Using a guitar with ceramic pickups (Duncan distortions in one of my Orvilles) however does get a really good sound from #34 mode but the A2P's just can't push it hard enough.

kelv_w

Reaction score
I'm using a 2X12 1936 Vintage cab with a R8 & R9.

I just saw a new AFD100 demo uploaded yesterday. Can't wait for the YJM100 as well.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgfuobqsO5I&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Marshall AFD100 Slash Signature Head demo[/ame]

jupiter89

Reaction score
That is probably the best AFD100 video out there now. It's hard to say just from the commentary, but I think he plays the amp in the #34 mode right after he talks about it around 13:12. He does mention it sounds thinner, but if that is the mode he's using right after discussing it, it does not sound too shabby at all ! ( have to post a comment to be certain if that's the mode he's using ). Remember though he does say at 10:24 that the attenuator is set a little bit past half way. Maybe #34 needs to be pushed harder than the AFD mode ?

Last edited:

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Nuttin wrong with that. Except he's a better player than me....

Wonder where he's got the guitar tone pots?

kelv_w

Reaction score
How did they get the snake skin cover??

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYc8TPGV9g4]YouTube - AFD100 Sexy Bits - that we missed off the last video...[/ame]