• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Alice in Chains Returns

• Thread starter thrawn86
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thrawn86

Reaction score
So what do you think of 'Black Gives Way to Blue'? Let's hear it.

I for one am glad that Jerry didn't give up, even though it took 14 years or so to produce a new album. Musically it sounds somewhere between Dirt and the Self-Titled album. If you can accept the fact that Layne is gone and that William is a very good performer, I think you'll enjoy the album. Definately edgy, definately sounds like Alice in Chains.:headbanger:

If you hate alternative, I understand. If you don't, let's hear your opinions. Thanx
:wave:

custom53

Reaction score
It does sound like the old Alice in Chains. I haven't bought the CD yet but I will.

LesPaulopolis

Reaction score
I thought Check My Brain was only OK, but apparently they are slaying audiences live. I have high expectations for Jerry and doubt he'll let us down. One of the greatest guitarists of our generation.

thrawn86

Reaction score
I thought Check My Brain was only OK, but apparently they are slaying audiences live. I have high expectations for Jerry and doubt he'll let us down. One of the greatest guitarists of our generation.

IMO Check my Brain is good, but in no way is it the song by which to describe the album.:)

StootMonster

Reaction score
I think it sound awesome! I saw Cantrell open up for Metallica back in about 2000 or so. He was great. I think Days of the New (if you remember them) were first up before Jerry. Cantrell had the lead player from Queensryche playing lead for him. Not that he needed it. He did a mighty fine job of it himself.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
i think its great so far , but i have not had a chance to hear other tracks yet .
but if check my brain is like the rest , its going to be a killer rock alblum like all
the rest of Alice in Chains stuff ......

custom53

Reaction score
I think it sound awesome! I saw Cantrell open up for Metallica back in about 2000 or so. He was great. I think Days of the New (if you remember them) were first up before Jerry. Cantrell had the lead player from Queensryche playing lead for him. Not that he needed it. He did a mighty fine job of it himself.

Has anyone here seen Alice in Chains and Gretchen Wilson do a cover of Hearts "Barracuda"...? Totally awesome. I would have never thought of putting them together let alone do a Heart cover tune....

thrawn86

Reaction score
Has anyone here seen Alice in Chains and Gretchen Wilson do a cover of Hearts "Barracuda"...? Totally awesome. I would have never thought of putting them together let alone do a Heart cover tune....

No, but I saw Heart with Cantrell doing Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll"....that was awesome. Anne Wilson sung backup vocals on "Brother" from the Sap EP.
Also, Scott Olsen, who played with AIC on the Unplugged album, has played with Heart before.

kcwm

Reaction score
I just checked out a couple of songs on their Myspace page. I was never as big of an AiC fan as I was Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, but they definitely had a quality that set them apart from their Seattle brothers. My attempt at harmonies would make a deaf gorilla cry, but every time I hear an AiC song, I always want to try it again.

This new incarnation (Check My Brain and A Looking In View) sounds like something like AiC lite...like a wannabe band. Maybe my lack of following them is what gives that impression. The music sounds like AiC...but if Jerry Cantrell is writing, then I'd expect nothing less. I read on Wikipedia that the drummer wanted to record but not under the AiC name and I'd have to agree with him.

Adwex

Reaction score
They were on Conan O'Brien's last night, they sounded pretty good.
Both of 'em playing Les Pauls.

JCMenace

Reaction score
I personally love the new album, I have always been an AIC fan and most others hate it and say that its not right to put out another album, which usually causes a huge argument lol. I undestand that some ppl cannot accept laynes death and feel that AIC should have died with him. But when u also consider the fact that jerry writes (and always has) 90% of theyre music. So If anyone should make the descision it should be him. Wouldnt be fair to jerry to have to call it quits. But just as someone already stated, If u can get past all the history and accept it for what it is, Its some good tunes. IMO

Jenovaslegacy

Reaction score
I think the new album is a triumph for quality music winning the battle over sentimentality.

It should be noted that you will never, ANYWHERE, find a bigger Layne Staley fan than I. I have a massive tattoo of his name on my right forearm, always commemorate the anniversary of his death every March, the whole kit and kaboodle. A lot of my friends are big hair/glam metal fans and can't really get into grunge and alternative, some people have said that he's an awesome singer but not a good frontman. I counter that with the explanation that an individual with a delivery so bong crushingly authentic and ranged doesn't need to be spandexed up to the max with a fluffy boa prancing about with a cherry pie and a chainsaw, the sheer expressiveness and emotion present in the mans voice was a show all by itself. A true, true master of his art and a horribly wasted talent.

Having said all that I was mega sceptical when I heard they'd recruited a new singer and started to work on new material. I hadn't heard anything of it, but I was with Sean Kinney in that I thought it best to give it another name, start a new project and leave Alice where it belongs for fear of putting out something sub-standard and tarnishing the good name, especially as Jerry had made such an awesome effort on his own with his Degradation Trip album (if you haven't got it, GET IT). THEN I saw them live at Sonisphere (Knebworth, UK for anyone not up on their geography) and was booted into orbit. Not only is the Alice feel there, both musically and lyrically, but William DuVall is an awesome frontman. I was talking to some guys in the crowd beforehand and they'd seen some prior shows where DuVall had basically said that he wasn't trying to be Layne, simply was trying to help AIC go in a new direction, with all four members on board.

To be fair, thats whats happening. As soon as you accept the fact that Layne is gone, and that Alice is becoming something, not so much new, but a bit different, to what we have for so many years loved, you come to see the music for what it is, innovative, exciting and containing musicianship and crafted songwriting seldom seen in todays music scene. Alice with Layne will always be what it was, this is something new, and most people who've seen them live agree that they kick all different flavours of ass (not to mention having two guitar players live makes it extra heavy!) As someone above has already mentioned, Jerry always did most of the songwriting anyway, and the majority of the same lyrical themes are also here (though with a bit less about smack addiction, for obvious and well documented reasons).

So, yeah, the new album, once set apart from the rest of the AIC catalogue, quite frankly rules. High points include Check my Brain, Acid Bubble, A Looking in View (though a tad too long for my tastes) and the achingly emotional ode to Layne and title track Black Gives Way to Blue. Got tickets to see them at Birmingham O2 Academy next Friday, can't wait!

From an (as you can see) massive AIC fan

Latest posts