• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

All about the late 70's Marshall 2959 JMP Super Lead With Reverb (head)

• Thread starter gossard
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

biggs

Reaction score
Using silver as a conductor is one thing, but using it in a transformer winding, coupled to each other magnetically is totally another. Using silver isn't a particularly good idea anyway. It corrodes like crazy, especially when in contact with different metals, doesn't take well to standard leaded solder, etc etetc.

The stuff I used was silver plated and it actually solders up really nice and I've not seen the corrosion issues come up so can't comment on that. We used it only because the guys willing to pay the price of the amps insisted on it and this was many years ago. Like I said I cant hear any difference and I suspect in blind listening tests a very small percentage of listeners would get it right and I agree completely with you on the transformers....makes no sense.

gossard

Reaction score
Thanks for all the opinions and info about this Marshall in particular, I'm a lot more informed now :)

And for damienbeale, you don't have to bother if I'm a dealer or not my friend! I've got a considerable amount of vintage gear yes, and I love to experiment and use a lot of stuff. My collection went a bit off control and now and then I like to put some stuff again on market, and that's all, anything wrong with that? Besides, when I do it, I like to be fully aware of the true market price of the things, don't you like too as a buyer? So again, don't bother with that or say bad thoughts about guys like me that You don't know anything about, ok? Thanks ;)

All the other users and comments, I'm very very appreciated! Thanks a lot! I think that I'll keep this Marshall for a lot more years, and if I decide to sell it, I'll let you all know ;)

Thanks!

mattoreg

Reaction score
I thought I'd post a reply to this forum "All about". I've got one of these, its a great amp, I'm not sure about all the claims above. If anyone has any questions let me know. I would disagree with PeeWee, I think the reverb is awesome.

Thanks.

damienbeale

Reaction score
He was right though. The reverb is a whole lot less rich, clear, and subtle than some other manufacturers. It's not something that Marshall did particularly well in comparison to the competition in any of their amps/reverb units, hence why they weren't popular.

I still am calling BS on Super_Lead and Jubilee2550. There was not a single truth that came out of any of their posts. Quite literally. Not one sentence. Except maybe the 150 units. But I suspect they may not even have made that many. And sadly, that still doesn't make them particularly valuable.

mattoreg

Reaction score
Damien, do you have one of these? What tank is in yours?
My reverb is awesome. It's not a fender-esque sound, its something else. Its broader, not as wet, but really full.

damienbeale

Reaction score
Damien, do you have one of these? What tank is in yours?
My reverb is awesome.

Nope. But I've never heard a Marshall reverb yet that compared with a decent vintage Fender verb. Even those standalone Marshall reverb units aren't particularly great. Fender had better integrated verb circuits than Marshall ever did, and far better tremolo circuits too. Shame they can't rock in the same manner (although somewhat of a sweeping generalization).

But then, I'll admit, I can't really stand verb of any kind anyway.:lol: And I when I do, I'd much rather use a damped plate reverb, which is not without it's issues, and not really recommended in anything portable.

I don't think Marshall do it any worse than most others, but it's certainly not the lush, dense, vintage verb that my ears became accustomed to on all those 50's american recordings, on any of the different era Marshall verbs that I have tried. Although granted, none of those are likely to be instrument amp generated.

Even the Club & Country, Marshalls supposed answer to the Fender Twin didn't cut it when it came to the verb...

I must say though, I'd really like an opportunity to study the circuit of one of these 2959's one day, just to see if there are any great differences (between it and a normal superlead of the late 70's) other than an integrated reverb. Just curious...

Edit: Actually broader and full in comparison to Fender doesn't seem to describe your typical Marshall reverb either. Even more curious now...

mattoreg

Reaction score
Yeah, it's different. Good different. I love reverb, I've owned a bunch of amps over the years, I'm building a stand alone fender clone now; the reverb this one has is sort of in a league of its own. Anyhoo. I figured I'd chime in about the amp as, the top of the thread seemed to be loaded with a bunch of claims, that could either be BS or something else. Speaking from my personal experience. Its a sweet amp with a nice reverb. If anyone has questions I could help out. Or if anyone has another they don't bond with hit me up!

What tank does your club and country use?

damienbeale

Reaction score
What tank does your club and country use?

Wasn't mine. Just another local that came in for a retube and a quick tune-up service (crackly pots, slight hum).
Didn't pay much attention to it, tbh. Just looked like a typical Accutronics tank of the period. As for the size, dunno, last saw it about 2 years ago.

Samuil_mk

Reaction score
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1450389141841127/permalink/1685074338372605/Hi all, i am a collector of vintage guitars 50+ and amps 50+
Collecting is a passion after I've had my yrs on the stage 20+ and being a luthier in a fancy custom shop, in that manner I cannot swallow what I've read here.
I have never seen that ppl can be arquingwith such passion (clueless) some participants in the forum probably have valvestate 15 ((50$) or less) and they can s..t about tone mashines, as model 2959, in my collection i have 12 vintage pieces from 30w to 100w, jtm's through jmp's and the latest is Jcm 800, (1968-1982) amongst them jmp 100, the famous model "2959" 1978
Allright now, I've played through all of these and the sound at this particular model is really incredible, I was offered 4000-7000$ at GC, (DOC) to bring it on a resale auction, which I never agreed to, i was curious about the transformers so I opened them and imagine this, it is a SILVER WIRE, clercoated/enameled you name it, so the mistery is resolved, someone put a lotta efforts and valuable goods in it, all electronic parts are ISKRA, should I mention more, so please you guys with beringers either exclude your self from forums where real toys are being explained/ thoughts are being exchanged OR learn how to respect and prolly learn smtn about something .
By the way im Macedonian/USAmerican and i forgot some of you just can't get lectures from a person with accent
If someone is interested in info's about any marshall in the yrs mention above please be my guest I'm willing to share informations, knowledge and pics
Thanks for reading
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1450389141841127/permalink/1685074338372605/

Last edited:

Blueslicks

Reaction score
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1450389141841127/permalink/1685074338372605/Hi all, i am a collector of vintage guitars 50+ and amps 50+
Collecting is a passion after I've had my yrs on the stage 20+ and being a luthier in a fancy custom shop, in that manner I cannot swallow what I've read here.
I have never seen that ppl can be arquingwith such passion (clueless) some participants in the forum probably have valvestate 15 ((50$) or less) and they can s..t about tone mashines, as model 2959, in my collection i have 12 vintage pieces from 30w to 100w, jtm's through jmp's and the latest is Jcm 800, (1968-1982) amongst them jmp 100, the famous model "2959" 1978
Allright now, I've played through all of these and the sound at this particular model is really incredible, I was offered 4000-7000$ at GC, (DOC) to bring it on a resale auction, which I never agreed to, i was curious about the transformers so I opened them and imagine this, it is a SILVER WIRE, clercoated/enameled you name it, so the mistery is resolved, someone put a lotta efforts and valuable goods in it, all electronic parts are ISKRA, should I mention more, so please you guys with beringers either exclude your self from forums where real toys are being explained/ thoughts are being exchanged OR learn how to respect and prolly learn smtn about something .
By the way im Macedonian/USAmerican and i forgot some of you just can't get lectures from a person with accent
If someone is interested in info's about any marshall in the yrs mention above please be my guest I'm willing to share informations, knowledge and pics
Thanks for reading
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1450389141841127/permalink/1685074338372605/

Well, I would say first off...you do appear to have a few cool amps on that fb page. We have some members here that have nice amps they know all about too. Second, pics of the mystery silver wire and it's uber transformer would certainly provide a firm resolve to the riddle. And third, some of the members I recognize on this necro thread all were fairly knowledgeable Marshall users IMO and I agree with them; the posts from the "techs" in question were not only suspect, but condescending to say the least.

Somewhat like your own.

Samuil_mk

Reaction score
I got it, those amps are in my house in Europe, this summer when i go to Macedonia i will take detail pictures, just dont rush,
I had opened it last summer, never wanted to arque about it, As i just wanted to assure my self, and did not took pictures, but i will do it for the rest of the community,
Meanwhile i will just say that that model is based on 1959, built with the best parts money can buy back then, with improvments like reverb (I'm not really crazy about it) and the boost, which is something helpfull when you need it, (with the boost on my SG doesnt need the shaffer gadget to get the Angus Young sound) and for the tone/ sound wise/ is better than any other Marshall heard, rich warm, very clear and bright even with two volume knobs both channels jumped and maxed out, It is really great amp, just find one around and try it out, I'm not dreaming I have it

custom53

Reaction score
2959 JMP Lead, 100W head
This amp was in production from 1978 up to 1980. It was fitted with a reverb and a 6dB Boost foot switch. Only a couple of hundred of these amps were manufactured.

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Any other comments on these amps?
My drummer might trade some equipment for one of these heads, but unsure about these amps. Would you say it's worth it?

Is it basically a late 70's JMP (2203) but with Reverb and a boost? Or is it more like the older plexi type (1959) circuit?

Last edited:

Latest posts