All my amps and cabs were stolen. I hoped to vicariously enjoy others loving their amps.

• Thread starter Whiskey Mike
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kuga

Reaction score
I guess you'll get them back soon. Did you have a security system? surveillance cameras? Did you have his serial numbers? Marshall allows you to register their amps, cabinets, and pedals on their website. A guitar or multi-effects is more likely to get stolen when you're at a gig. A 25 kg amp and a 40 kg cabinet is more difficult. No one will run off with an amp. My Marshall JFX-1 was stolen when I was loading the van after a performance.

What?

Reaction score
That's a bummer. It happened to me once. Some meth heads broke in while I was at work and got most everything I had in my music room plus other things from around the house. Luckily I had renter insurance that helped. I later found out that they had been staying with a neighbor for a few days, heard the playing from next door, and watched for no one to be home.

Adrian R

Reaction score
That's a bummer. It happened to me once. Some meth heads broke in while I was at work and got most everything I had in my music room plus other things from around the house. Luckily I had renter insurance that helped. I later found out that they had been staying with a neighbor for a few days, heard the playing from next door, and watched for no one to be home.
I hoped they busted his fkin ass, you got a chance to face that piece of shit, and got all your gear back, press charges and then open a civil suit for any damages...and even he's a broke ass loser, get some kind of judgement with wage garnishment.. Or, at the very least, get Vito to break both his fkin legs...

What?

Reaction score
I hoped they busted his fkin ass, you got a chance to face that piece of shit, and got all your gear back, press charges and then open a civil suit for any damages...and even he's a broke ass loser, get some kind of judgement with wage garnishment.. Or, at the very least, get Vito to break both his fkin legs...
The guy was already heading to prison by the time I found out who he was. Nothing really to chase there, since it sounded like he would be in there for a very long time. If definitely blew hard at the time.

Any way, I sympathize Whisky Mike. It blows having your gear ganked. And these days I have a baby, so I'm not getting much playing in. I planned to do some playing and amp tinkering this weekend, but I haven't got to so much as plug in all weekend. That's dad life for now. So I guess I'm just hanging around the forums vicaruously too.

Nkyrental

Reaction score
We had a 9:30 am break-in about 6 years ago. Crack heads, they worked in pairs. One kicked the front door and ran, while the second stayed in the car in front of the house and watched for people, alarms, or dogs to come. When they didn't they break in. They went through the house and got jewelry, watches, etc. then went downstairs and saw the equipment, they backed their car down the driveway to load it up, and luckily a neighbor saw them called the cops so they took off. They had stuff from 3 other people in their car when they found them a few days later. They are in jail, and now keep getting up for parole. My wife is vehement in making sure they stayed in jail. Crappy part was we had to cross state lines to get the jewelry back, and had to PAY the pawn shop to get it. We got the money back from insurance, but that struck me as odd. We now have a Doberman, Simplisafe, and 5 motion cameras recording around the house.

10kDA

Reaction score
In the mid-70s my band shared rehearsal space in a warehouse with another band. Thieves broke in one night and took everything that was small enough to carry and get out of the building as easily as possible, so, all of both bands' heads, mics, pedals, and cymbals. Our drummer was connected with a well-known motorcycle gang and was not about to let the theft go down without having his buddies investigate. Through the gang members, he got word about some dirtballs that were trying to sell some music gear in a neighboring town. The list of gear he was able to compile without attracting too much attention confirned it was our stuff. Our drummer notified the police in the town where the gear was located and told them he had already set up a buy, and would they please crack these clowns after the gear was positively identified? They wanted to send an undercover cop instead but our drummer persuaded them that he knew the band gear by sight so he was the logical one to do it. Wehn he told them he was going to buy the stuff back whether they were along or not, they agreed. He contacted the dirtballs, and he followed their car to a farm where the stuff was stored, made a cash deal for all of our band's stuff - so it was almost unquestionably headed back into our hands - and the cops stopped him and the dirtballs' car asa soon as they left the farm's driveway. "Everybody out! Face down on the road!" the whole bit. They took the drummer's wallet and IDed him, and put him in the back of one cop car and the thieves went in another cop car.

After the cops took the thieves in, and the cops on the scene verified the gear on the list was the gear our drummer had made the "deal" for, they let our drummer leave with his van full of our gear. Before they let him leave, they told him the assholes had pistols on their persons and in their car. Then it hit the drummer how wrong it could have gone. When he told us what he was planning as far as getting the gear back, the rest of us thought it sounded like a great idea. After he told us how it all went down, we realized he had a seriously close call. It had never really occurred to us that it could have been close, until afterwards and we learned the details. I'm grateful to him for having some big balls doing what he did, but it was clear a high level of ignorance of common sense was at work.

Two mics and my and the other guitarist's Maestro phasers were the only things we did not recover. The other band got their stuff back but had to wait a couple of weeks for the stuff to get released from evidence. That's also when the drummer got the cash back that he used to buy the gear back

Props to our late drummer for going above and beyond. I don't believe the legal system would have lifted a finger to investigate the crime beyond maybe posting a BOTL list of serial numbers etc.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I love living in a neighborhood where we all know each other and I trust even the neighbors I hate, to keep a watch out for thieves. Plus literally somebody is always home here, and if someone were to be so foolish as to attempt to help himself to my stuff....let's just say it'd end very badly for them. They'd better have made their wills. I have no obligation to retreat and any unauthorized entry on my property can be met with deadly force if I feel threatened....which of course I would.

Know your surroundings, your environment, and your neighborhood. Take precautions to keep your things in YOUR possession. Add a lock...or two. Bars on the doors or windows or both. Anti-shatter window film. Locks and chains. Many ways.

Whiskey Mike

Reaction score
All good advice, thank you. They were stolen from the moving company I used when I sold my house. No pictures of what was loaded on the trucks, paper inventory. Letting the lawyers fight it out. Insurance might as well have been vapor.