Am I Hearing Things Correctly? (hint: Jcm900 4100 50w)

• Thread starter islandjimmy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

islandjimmy

Reaction score
Hi All,

New guy to the forum here. I'm a 20+ year guitar player and amp builder. I build Fender tweed copies, mostly 5E3 Deluxe models. I have officially gotten the Marshall bug based on a video I watched, and I love what I heard. I am a thorough researcher, and for the past couple months I have combed through lots of information on the impressively complex amount of Marshall amp models out there. Obviously there is much love for the early models and Plexi series. In my search I found it interesting that there seems to be an equal amount of like and dislike for the JCM900 series, which brings me to my post. Of all the videos and sound samples I have listened to, I keep coming back to the JCM900 4100 50W model. I really like what I'm hearing here. I have never played a Marshall amp so I am only going on sound samples. I'm looking for that all tube, scooped, harmonically rich, classic Marshall tone, and the JCM900 4100 50W seems to have that. My question to all you Marshall amp gurus out there: Is the JCM900 a good place to start for me based on what I am looking for? The prices seem lower than other equivalent models, yet the JCM900 offers a lot of features, and to me it sounds fantastic. The JCM900 seems to have that classic Marshall tone, plus other options if you choose to dial it in. I play a Les Paul most of the time and the JCM900 seems like a good fit because it appears to have bright side if needed. My Les Paul can be dark and moody, so I am looking for an amp that can add brightness if I choose to dial it up. Thanks for any advice, tips, or replies. Again, I am looking for that legendary Marshall tone, but I don't have enough for to spend on a hand wired reissue. I have amp building skills so I am not opposed to buying an old Marshall that needs repair. It's just that the JCM900 seems to be a fast track to what I am looking for.

Thank you!
Jimmy

Last edited:

LRT#1

Reaction score
Could be wrong but I dont think the 4100 comes in 50 watt. I have a 4100 its 100 watt, I really like the sound but for the classic marshall tone I go to my jcm800x what a monster. You can get really close to the 800 sound with the 4100 but it won't shake your balls like the 800. Hope this helps

islandjimmy

Reaction score
Could be wrong but I dont think the 4100 comes in 50 watt. I have a 4100 its 100 watt, I really like the sound but for the classic marshall tone I go to my jcm800x what a monster. You can get really close to the 800 sound with the 4100 but it won't shake your balls like the 800. Hope this helps
Thank you for your reply. Which would you choose if you play mostly at bedroom levels?

Matt_Krush

Reaction score
Marshalls are all inherently bright compared to other tube amp brands.
The 900 can be dialed down pretty low and still sound good....of course it can be opened up and roar too.

The JCM900 4xxx series is unlike all the other Marshalls.
It does have a fair bit of solid state (op amps) in the front before the first tube gain stage. Its used for a good bit of the clean and distortion tone shaping.
There isn't a lot for mods (some, but nothing that takes from where it is to Oh My God). It's kinda 'what it is, that's what it is.'

Only problems I know of to be on the look out for is the rectifier ICs. Those tend to get flakey and fail in their now old age.
And on some (like mine) the bias resistor needed to be changed to get the full range of bias for the tubes.

When/if you get it, check the board numbers and go to DRTUBE.com and verify if the screen, grid, and bias resistors are correct. There were some that had incorrect components.
Be sure you are looking at the correct schematic as the 900's did come in both EL34 and 5881/6L6 versions.

LRT#1

Reaction score
For bedroom levels if you want a half I'd say 900 but it's still overkill. 50 watt head with 2x12 or combo would be good to look into. The 900 is more versital than the 800 seeing that it only does one thing but does it well. I'm not going to say what's best for you because what works for me may not for you

I converted my 900 4100 from 5881 tubes to the el34 tubes. As mat said research before you jump on one. Try to go somewhere that you can play on one and see if it's a proper fit for you.

islandjimmy

Reaction score
For bedroom levels if you want a half I'd say 900 but it's still overkill. 50 watt head with 2x12 or combo would be good to look into. The 900 is more versital than the 800 seeing that it only does one thing but does it well. I'm not going to say what's best for you because what works for me may not for you

I converted my 900 4100 from 5881 tubes to the el34 tubes. As mat said research before you jump on one. Try to go somewhere that you can play on one and see if it's a proper fit for you.
Yes, I definitely need to play one to get a real sense of the tone and volume. Looking at it from an outside point of view, it would seem the Origin Series would be what I should be looking at because they can be played at bedroom levels. My only concern would be am I getting a true Marshall sound or is the Origin series a different beast altogether?

LRT#1

Reaction score
Yes, I definitely need to play one to get a real sense of the tone and volume. Looking at it from an outside point of view, it would seem the Origin Series would be what I should be looking at because they can be played at bedroom levels. My only concern would be am I getting a true Marshall sound or is the Origin series a different beast altogether?

Dont know personally about the origin series but it looks like people that have one love them

BowerR64

Reaction score
I think the 4100 is 100 watts the 4500 is 50 watts

None the less IMO that is the good one, the MK3 (2100/2500) is the one that sucks IMO

The 4100/4500 actually has a clean channel that when cranked up on the gain can get some breakup so IMO it covers alot more tones then the MK3 which i could never get anything other then balls to the wall metal out of.

They are what they are though, if a clean or crunchy more classic tone is your thing the 4100/4500 i liked the best and then push the B button and it covers about everything the Mk3 can do

Good luck, ill never get rid of mine.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum new MF’r, I don’t have much experience with the 900 series of amps but I can also recommend the Dsl40c , origin is a loud amp, I love my 50h, my buddy John has the 50 watt dual reverb, so I do have a bit of experience with a 900, play them all and choose with your ears ! Cheers Mitch

Michael Roe

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking for that all tube, woody, scooped, harmonically rich, classic Marshall tone, and the JCM900 4100 50W seems to have that. My question to all you Marshall amp gurus out there: Is the JCM900 a good place to start for me based on what I am looking for?
That would not be the description I would use for a 900. Specifically, "woody, scooped, harmonically rich". I would describe it more as: Marshall heritage but different, cutting and a bit thinner than other Marshalls. If you didn't use the word "woody" I would say try a DSL.

islandjimmy

Reaction score
That would not be the description I would use for a 900. Specifically, "woody, scooped, harmonically rich". I would describe it more as: Marshall heritage but different, cutting and a bit thinner than other Marshalls. If you didn't use the word "woody" I would say try a DSL.
Describing, and being on the same page of a sound/tone is difficult sometimes, that being said, is there a Marshall amp model that you would describe as "woody"?

anitoli

Reaction score
Describing, and being on the same page of a sound/tone is difficult sometimes, that being said, is there a Marshall amp model that you would describe as "woody"?
Woody IMO would have less to do with the amp than the cabinet. Amps don't sound woody cabinets do.

Gutch220

Reaction score
You could also get a 50w combo.......turn it on 'low power' to get 25w (although does Marshall ever confirm Low power is HALF of 50w?).
Remember, this is the internet, and people can repeat things they've heard with little to no experience, then others hear this and repeat it. This happens a lot with the 900.
Some people will complain about SS clipping then put an Ibanez Tubescreamer in front of it. To me this isn't a problem. If anything it's a plus. You can get more 'in-house' modern distortion tones in Channel-B, and fine-tune from there with pedals and EQ, and pre-amp/MV. Or stick to Channel-A if that's your thing.
I don't really understand why a person would pay double for a reissue when originals are readily available.

mistercoffee1

Reaction score
I have a 4502, which is the 50watt High again Dual reverb (2-channel).
While it’s a great gigging amp that cuts like a knife, it’s not a bedroom amp even at Half Power mode while also running an attenuator. It only starts sounding decent with the Master volume at 4, and then better at 5 and 6 - all of which are gigging levels.
It’s not an all tube circuit or sound, but does that 90’s alternative thing really well. It’s a great gigging amp, and while a little thinner sounding, it can cut through a loud drummer and bassist and other guitarist, no problem.

I find my DSL40CR to have a more harmonically pleasing sound and better at classic rock. And way better at living room levels.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I think the 4100 is 100 watts the 4500 is 50 watts

None the less IMO that is the good one, the MK3 (2100/2500) is the one that sucks IMO

The 4100/4500 actually has a clean channel that when cranked up on the gain can get some breakup so IMO it covers alot more tones then the MK3 which i could never get anything other then balls to the wall metal out of.

They are what they are though, if a clean or crunchy more classic tone is your thing the 4100/4500 i liked the best and then push the B button and it covers about everything the Mk3 can do

Good luck, ill never get rid of mine.
Right and what most people miss is it has possibly the best Marshall clean channel as well as the best Marshall reverb , it's loud enough. Not louder or more balls than the 800 but the guy I know that owns a 800 never plays it at more than drum level which I think is around 4ish. The 900 does a lot that the 800 can not but that never seems to be brought up.
That being said the 900 sounds good at lower volumes. Mine was a 5881 version , it is truly missed. Traded it in for a Mesa Single Rec Solo and I think that amp killed my ears !

Last edited:

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
All tube? Check out the JCM800 series. Go on YouTube and listen to 2204 heads. You can build a clone as well with your skills for under $1000. They all have a master volume and can be played at bedroom level if you really want.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
Hi All,

New guy to the forum here. I'm a 20+ year guitar player and amp builder. I build Fender tweed copies, mostly 5E3 Deluxe models. I have officially gotten the Marshall bug based on a video I watched, and I love what I heard. I am a thorough researcher, and for the past couple months I have combed through lots of information on the impressively complex amount of Marshall amp models out there. Obviously there is much love for the early models and Plexi series. In my search I found it interesting that there seems to be an equal amount of like and dislike for the JCM900 series, which brings me to my post. Of all the videos and sound samples I have listened to, I keep coming back to the JCM900 4100 50W model. I really like what I'm hearing here. I have never played a Marshall amp so I am only going on sound samples. I'm looking for that all tube, scooped, harmonically rich, classic Marshall tone, and the JCM900 4100 50W seems to have that. My question to all you Marshall amp gurus out there: Is the JCM900 a good place to start for me based on what I am looking for? The prices seem lower than other equivalent models, yet the JCM900 offers a lot of features, and to me it sounds fantastic. The JCM900 seems to have that classic Marshall tone, plus other options if you choose to dial it in. I play a Les Paul most of the time and the JCM900 seems like a good fit because it appears to have bright side if needed. My Les Paul can be dark and moody, so I am looking for an amp that can add brightness if I choose to dial it up. Thanks for any advice, tips, or replies. Again, I am looking for that legendary Marshall tone, but I don't have enough for to spend on a hand wired reissue. I have amp building skills so I am not opposed to buying an old Marshall that needs repair. It's just that the JCM900 seems to be a fast track to what I am looking for.

Thank you!
Jimmy

Maybe you should try DSL? (See Video: "DSL and the Marshall Forum", study this video carefully)

The 900 is more compressed, more gain, it's more for hard rock and metal.
This amp is tube and solid state, it has diode clipping.
Impression of this amp is that it lacks lows and lower mids. (which can be tweaked/ fixed)
The amp 4100 has 2 channels, an effects loop, reverb, and a power select on the 100W (pentode/triode), which gives the amp versatility.

The 800 is less compressed works for rock and blues, not as extreme, more classic sounding. It's more of a straight-forward guitar amp with less gimmicks.

Well hell yes, both these amps are great sounding amps. The type music you play will determine which one works the better for you.