• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Amazing Service From Marshall

• Thread starter surfguy13
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

surfguy13

Reaction score
Thought I ought to share this with everyone as it's so rare to hear a 'good news' story!
Some time ago I posted a couple of threads asking for advice about the value and age of my old 60s SL 100. Got some really helpful responses that dated the head to '67 and also, courtesy of Rockbert, identified a leaky bias cap. On Rockbert's advice I stopped using it and booked it into Marshall at Beltchley to have the cap done and a general check over - I'm only about an hour from Marshall.
I've never had an amp repaired or serviced by Marshall and as my amp tech is in York, about 3 hours drive, I decided to try Marshall. I spoke to Phil on the phone for 20 minutes when I booked the amp in and he was really pleasant and was quite happy to spend the time discussing the amp.
I eventually took the head over yesterday having booked one of their two appointments available each day for people who want to drop their amp in, have it worked on, and take it away same day.
I was met by an engineer who took the amp away, removed the chassis and then came back and discussed it with me. He found that the white gunk that looked like it was leaking from the bias cap was in fact glue and the cap was 100% which was great - however, he said that it is SO easy to mistake glue or white paint for a leaking cap!! He reckons it happens all the time so I am still VERY grateful for Rockberts warning and just glad the cap was OK.
He replaced the mains plug for me as it was an old 60s plug and currently illegal - he also asked me if I wanted him to provide a dedicated earth as the shared earth on 60s amps is also illegal in the UK. I asked him to do that.
He checked the whole amp over thoroughly and confirmed that it is 110% and working superbly well - he said I was getting 98 watts of clean sound and a lot more of distorted sound. Not quite sure what this means but he said the amp was operating pretty much as it is meant to. He also said the graph was a perfect shape - again, no idea what that meant.
Anyway, after an hour of his time he came out and said here's the amp and there'll be no charge!!!! Totally blew me away. This sort of thing doesn't happen in my experience, particularly with an old amp, and it just shows that these guys really do offer genuine musiciains a real service.
Well done Marshall!!!!!! :lol:
Here's a link to the old lady who, after much deliberation, I have decided to keep! Well, not that much deliberation to be honest, it was a bit of forgone conclusion!! :) She's used every day and that will continue.....
Marshall 67 Super Lead Head pictures by surfguy13 - Photobucket

surfguy13

Reaction score
Not too sure how many of the caps are original but I got the impression from what the Marshall engineer said that these particular caps were original. There are loads of photos of the amp on that photobucket link and hopefully they will confirm one way or another. All the important bits on the amp are original I believe and although the amp has worked hard all its life it has been regularly serviced and never by anybody that would change components for the sake of it or just because they were old. Phil at Marshall said that he was working on a '65 head that had all its original caps and the amp was working perfectly.

JayCM800

Reaction score
So it's serviced and checked OK by Marshall!! I'd be playing the hell out of it right now!
How much were you gonna sell it for before you decided to keep it?

lespaul339

Reaction score
I would have put new caps in it. You can still keep the originals to retain value. Not replacing the caps is like having a ticking time bomb.

janarn

Reaction score
Get a liver transplantation. Even if the doctor say your liver is working fine now,
it's like walking around with a ticking bomb inside you.:naughty:

lespaul339

Reaction score
Get a liver transplantation. Even if the doctor say your liver is working fine now,
it's like walking around with a ticking bomb inside you.:naughty:

Dumb comparison. If those are the orginal filter caps, that puts them at 44 years old. They should be replaced if they are that old.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Great to hear about your experience. I'm booked in on May 31st with my JCM800 4211 combo. Hopefully they will be able to find out why the boost channel lacks volume.:fingersx:

surfguy13

Reaction score
Nice to have all the feeback about whether to replace/not replace caps. I have always asked the tech to do the absolute minimum to keep it working well and safe without replacing parts needlessly. The guys at Marshall seem to have a very healthy attitude to the old caps issue - if they aren't bulging or leaking leave well alone. As this amp is used every day it needs to be working well and they were aware of this but they still said they'd prefer not to replace them which is advice I'm going with at the moment.
However, I'm told that if a cap does 'go' it's gonna cause a mess!!!!
I really hope you have an equallly good experience Georgiatec - I'm sure they'll get it sorted and back working 100% again. Are you taking it there with an appointment or are they picking it up? If you can take it in for say the 13.15 appointment then you are on the spot to discuss it with them and if you have some time on your hands you can have a free tour of the factory. Then you can take it back home. Good luck anyway.
The amp sounds as killer as it always has and yes, it's barely been switched off since it arrived 'home'!!! I didn't use it for a month because of the suspected leaky cap so I'm back in 7th heaven again!!! :)

surfguy13

Reaction score
Clicked the 'post' button too quick! In relation to caps I had meant to say that I have two 1957 princetons one of which has had most of the caps changed and the other which is totally original other than a new mains lead. Both amps are working faultlessly and always have done, a la the SL 100. I guess that's a good advertisment for hanging onto the old caps? All I would say is when the caps were changed on one of them, as they were all bulging, the increase in volume was quite spectacular!

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
Great amp, thank you for sharing those great pictures and an awesome experience that you had with Marshall. I would love to be able to just set an appointment and get my head serviced like that.

The vultures will attack in 3...2...1...

j2112c

Reaction score
What the hell is going on in that gif in your sig, looks terrible?

Just a kid smoking.
No real story it is from The Sun.:lol:
The Sun doesn't have any real stories - well none worth reading....
I just decided to have a smoking alcoholic avatar and an underage smoking kid... no reason just mind bending.:)

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice to have all the feeback about whether to replace/not replace caps. I have always asked the tech to do the absolute minimum to keep it working well and safe without replacing parts needlessly. The guys at Marshall seem to have a very healthy attitude to the old caps issue - if they aren't bulging or leaking leave well alone. As this amp is used every day it needs to be working well and they were aware of this but they still said they'd prefer not to replace them which is advice I'm going with at the moment.
However, I'm told that if a cap does 'go' it's gonna cause a mess!!!!
I really hope you have an equallly good experience Georgiatec - I'm sure they'll get it sorted and back working 100% again. Are you taking it there with an appointment or are they picking it up? If you can take it in for say the 13.15 appointment then you are on the spot to discuss it with them and if you have some time on your hands you can have a free tour of the factory. Then you can take it back home. Good luck anyway.
The amp sounds as killer as it always has and yes, it's barely been switched off since it arrived 'home'!!! I didn't use it for a month because of the suspected leaky cap so I'm back in 7th heaven again!!! :)

I'm booked in at 13.15...taking my 2 daughters with me on the tour as well...whether they want to or not LOL...."dad it's another black box...dad, dad, DAD!!......"uumm tolexing department drool slobber GAS, GAS" :lol::lol:

j2112c

Reaction score
I'm booked in at 13.15...taking my 2 daughters with me on the tour as well...whether they want to or not LOL...."dad it's another black box...dad, dad, DAD!!......"uumm tolexing department drool slobber GAS, GAS" :lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: