• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Amp Attenuators

• Thread starter TJB
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TJB

Reaction score
I have a JVM410H outputting to a 1960bv and a 1960bc and would like to get an 16 ohm attenuator. Both are attached to the 8 ohm out of the amp. Question : Do I have to buy 2 attenuators? I only see one in and one out on the Attenuators I've looked at.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I have a JVM410H outputting to a 1960bv and a 1960bc and would like to get an 16 ohm attenuator. Both are attached to the 8 ohm out of the amp. Question : Do I have to buy 2 attenuators? I only see one in and one out on the Attenuators I've looked at.
No, you would not need 2 attenuators. Most attenuators have 2 output jacks. If the one you chose did not, you could use a "Y" speaker cable out of the attenuator to go to 2 cabs (following proper load requirements of the attenuator, of course). On a side note, attenuators are nearly useless with an amp like a JVM.

Last edited:

Silverburst

Reaction score
Perfect answer above. JVM's get their drive from the preamp and the powersection is build to stay as clean as possible afaik. Volume is very controleable with the channel and master volume knobs.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perfect answer above. JVM's get their drive from the preamp and the powersection is build to stay as clean as possible afaik. Volume is very controleable with the channel and master volume knobs.
From what I’ve learned both the guys before me are absolutely correct. If I’m not mistaken, Jvms’ are similar to the Dsls’ in that regard.

Monstercastle

Reaction score
If you want just an attenuator, I’d recommend the Rivera Rockcrusher. Assuming your cabs are both 16 ohm and want to run them simultaneously, you’d set the Rockcrusher to 8 ohm mode, and connect both cabs to it. If you are just using one cab, flip the Rockcrusher switch back to 16. I have the Rockcrusher and the JVM410H. Love it.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Completely disagree. Very useful for me. I use it to smooth out the master volume taper, and use bass boost switch at lower volumes to compensate for Fletcher Munson.
That's awesome, I'm sure Harvey and Wilden would be proud. I'd say you're definitely in the minority of those using an attenuator with a JVM, consider yourself wiser than all the rest. :erk:

Last edited:

FutureProf88

Reaction score
If you can swing the money I'd recommend the Tone King Ironman. It can be set to multiple output impedance settings. For your two 16 ohm cabs, on most attenuators you'd hook the attenuator to one speaker out with the amp set to 8 ohms, and you'd hook both of the cabinets up to the speaker outs on the attenuator (assuming it has two).

I like attenuators even with master volume amps. I have yet to meet the amp that doesn't "feel" better with the master cranked a bit, even if it is meant to have almost all preamp distortion (modern DSL's included). A good attenuator is a great tool to have in your kit.

Monstercastle

Reaction score
That's awesome, I'm sure Harvey and Wilden would be proud. I'd say you're definitely in the minority of those using an attenuator with a JVM, consider yourself wiser than all the rest. :erk:
Not about wiser, it’s just that attenuators work well for my use cases. They serve a purpose beyond what most mistakenly feel is their only purpose - power tube distortion. I use them to knock typically 8db off most of my amps, some of which go from quiet to very loud before you hit 9 o’clock on the master. With attenuation I get more granular control of that volume ramp. Your use cases are likely different if you don’t see the utility in this. All good.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
I agree with the above completely, I use my torpedo reload or jettenustor with everything . Even if it’s to just get over the initial nasty fizzy low volume the master . All amps need the master on at least 2 to open up , I don’t care if some disagree . That’s too loud without attenuation at home on most amps , even my evh lbx would take your head off on the 3.5 watt setting with the master on 2 . It definitely sounds best on 15 watts with master on 4 attenuated ( I’m talking blue channel here with gain on about 6 btw) . Needless to say without attenuation that is insanely loud .

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not about wiser, it’s just that attenuators work well for my use cases. They serve a purpose beyond what most mistakenly feel is their only purpose - power tube distortion. I use them to knock typically 8db off most of my amps, some of which go from quiet to very loud before you hit 9 o’clock on the master. With attenuation I get more granular control of that volume ramp. Your use cases are likely different if you don’t see the utility in this. All good.
I get that, I use my attenuator both ways too. One, to get the power tubes cooking a bit,...and two, just to control the output some to make my amp more home friendly.

wakjob

Reaction score
Completely disagree. Very useful for me. I use it to smooth out the master volume taper, and use bass boost switch at lower volumes to compensate for Fletcher Munson.

I'm sure I sound like a broken record by now but...

Before dumping lots of money into an attenuator, try a 12au7 in the phase inverter first.
This usually smooths out jumpy master volume controls and give a better taper... for less than $20.

TJB

Reaction score
After reading about attenuators and talking to those who know more about adding an attenuator, including you guys here, I've decided not to get an one. With the size of amp I have its only going to heat up the power tubes to a point that they have to be replaced more often. My setup is in the basement at home and although I keep the the master less than 9 o'clock I'm sure I drive enough to the speakers to get a really good sound. I don't need to overdrive the power tubes. Not to mention I have several great OD pedals that give me the sound I'm looking for. Several friends have attenuators and love them, but they have less than 50w of power. I want to thank everyone here for there reply. Why would I need an attenuator when I have two master volumes, and OD pedals, that would melt the wax in your ears in a large basement that holds the sound in? I could give two shits about what the neighbors think. Sit back and enjoy the ride!

purpleplexi

Reaction score
I went through the attenuator phase. I think a lot of people do. Thought it would solve my problems. Sort of did but created others. Don't have one now and won't get one. Far sooner use a pedal and just manage with preamp distortion at home. It's not so bad.....

Manco

Reaction score
I have an attenuator. I can put the power tubes very hot, but unfortunatelly, some things only happen at high volumes. The sound produced by the speaker when it breaks is something I miss.

TJB

Reaction score
I agree with the above completely, I use my torpedo reload or jettenustor with everything . Even if it’s to just get over the initial nasty fizzy low volume the master . All amps need the master on at least 2 to open up , I don’t care if some disagree . That’s too loud without attenuation at home on most amps , even my evh lbx would take your head off on the 3.5 watt setting with the master on 2 . It definitely sounds best on 15 watts with master on 4 attenuated ( I’m talking blue channel here with gain on about 6 btw) . Needless to say without attenuation that is insanely loud .

TJB

Reaction score
I realize that if I can operate the Jvm at 45% or greater that it will produce the best sound the amp has to offer to the speakers. That is the main reason I was looking into a attenuator, but at what cost? Obviously the power tubes will be running much hotter, and not only the tubes. I studied the ironman 2 that has reactive resistance (Inductive) to match the changing resistance of the speakers, and it's something I can afford, but it's it really worth it? I do love my JVM, and I do have several other quality amps I use on occasion, but my Marshall is my favorite, and I don't want to over heat it or damage it in any way. Am I a little nutty about this? Should I still consider a attenuator or just blow it off? What do you guys think? I value your opinions.

Last edited:

Latest posts