• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Amp Attenuators

• Thread starter TJB
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FutureProf88

Reaction score
I realize that if I can operate the Jvm at 45% or greater that it will produce the best sound the amp has to offer to the speakers. That is the main reason I was looking into a attenuator, but at what cost? Obviously the power tubes will be running much hotter, and not only the tubes. I studied the ironman 2 that has reactive resistance (Inductive) to match the changing resistance of the speakers, and it's something I can afford, but it's it really worth it? I do love my JVM, and I do have several other quality amps I use on occasion, but my Marshall is my favorite, and I don't want to over heat it or damage it in any way. Am I a little nutty about this? Should I still consider a attenuator or just blow it off? What do you guys think? I value your opinions.

I mean.... I replace the tubes in my amps I play regularly maybe once a year. In my EL34 amps I just run JJ's and they're like $15-$20 ea? So $80 a year in power tubes. Who are you saving them for? I totally get the reluctance, as I have a lot of mechanical sympathy for my gear, but I don't sweat running stuff at 50-60%. Tubes are like brake pads on a car.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
I mean.... I replace the tubes in my amps I play regularly maybe once a year. In my EL34 amps I just run JJ's and they're like $15-$20 ea? So $80 a year in power tubes. Who are you saving them for? I totally get the reluctance, as I have a lot of mechanical sympathy for my gear, but I don't sweat running stuff at 50-60%. Tubes are like brake pads on a car.
Meh, the amp doesn't need it tho. I mean if you like the tone rock it but the JVM has a great master. Whenever possible, less is better.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I realize that if I can operate the Jvm at 45% or greater that it will produce the best sound the amp has to offer to the speakers. That is the main reason I was looking into a attenuator, but at what cost? Obviously the power tubes will be running much hotter, and not only the tubes. I studied the ironman 2 that has reactive resistance (Inductive) to match the changing resistance of the speakers, and it's something I can afford, but it's it really worth it? I do love my JVM, and I do have several other quality amps I use on occasion, but my Marshall is my favorite, and I don't want to over heat it or damage it in any way. Am I a little nutty about this? Should I still consider a attenuator or just blow it off? What do you guys think? I value your opinions.
I've had 2 JVM's, and I've tried both through an attenuator. In my opinion, an attenuator is not needed with a JVM, or most master volume amps. I have several master volume amps, non-master volume amps, and several attenuators. I only see a need to use the attenuators with my non-master volume amps. I'd spend the money on something more useful. There you go, my opinion, for what it's worth.

Last edited:

nubis99

Reaction score
not sure how much use you're gonna get out of an attenuator on a JVM, but depending on the attenuator you get you might need either a 16 ohm or an 8 ohm one, I seem to remember the TAD ones requiring an 8 ohm one for 2 16 ohm cabs. try and check the specs and manual before buying.

edit: grammar is hard.

TJB

Reaction score
Thank you guys for taking the time to reply. I've decided not to spend the $900 + (with tax) on an attenuator. I as well as most of you here love my 410h amp and it does exactly what I need from it.

Manco

Reaction score
Hey there. I bought the Harley Benton PA-100 for 80€. What is the difference between this and the Rockcrusher?

booh

Reaction score
Hey there. I bought the Harley Benton PA-100 for 80€. What is the difference between this and the Rockcrusher?
Rockcrusher is more expensive! ;)
I built different attenuators myself, love my Weber MiniMass (Weber has a reasonable price-performance ratio) and find most attenuators grossly overpriced.

Latest posts