amp choice

• Thread starter jamesdolecek70
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jamesdolecek70

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide Marshall dsl40 vs Blackstar ht5. I don't care about the cleans or crunch, all I care about is high gain. Which has the warmest, best high gain distortion? I know both of these have a difference in wattage, but the watts is not an issue since i'm strictly a bedroom player.

jack daniels

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide Marshall dsl40 vs Blackstar ht5. I don't care about the cleans or crunch, all I care about is high gain. Which has the warmest, best high gain distortion? I know both of these have a difference in wattage, but the watts is not an issue since i'm strictly a bedroom player.

Preamp or Output gain stage?

massless

Reaction score
Hi - well I have a HT5 combo and for me it's...average. Not a very dynamic amp and not particularly valve-like IMO. Sounds quite scratchy, boxy and closed-in, there's a nastiness that pervades the tone that I can't get rid of, but there is lots of gain, just not the inspiring kind. That said years ago I'd probably have loved it and would have swapped it for what I had (a fender silver face champ) in a heartbeat.

EDIT: some context. I also had a THR10 (that I returned) and if it was between the HT5 and THR10, assuming home use only, I'd have chosen the THR10. What about those new Blackstar modelling amps, they're cheap as chips??

jamesdolecek70

Reaction score
Hi - well I have a HT5 combo and for me it's...average. Not a very dynamic amp and not particularly valve-like IMO. Sounds quite scratchy, boxy and closed-in, there's a nastiness that pervades the tone that I can't get rid of, but there is lots of gain, just not the inspiring kind. That said years ago I'd probably have loved it and would have swapped it for what I had (a fender silver face champ) in a heartbeat.

EDIT: some context. I also had a THR10 (that I returned) and if it was between the HT5 and THR10, assuming home use only, I'd have chosen the THR10. What about those new Blackstar modelling amps, they're cheap as chips??

Those blackstar modeling amps have a very thin sound

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I do not have a guitar shop near me, so I have to order it online

Road trip! Sounds like fun! Grab some of your best buds and drive where ever you gotta go and try them both, then get some food and beers after. Sounds like a fun time, and if you're lucky you'll have a new amp in hand! :yesway: :cheers:

Much more interesting than ordering online.....

growboxguy

Reaction score
Road trip! Sounds like fun! Grab some of your best buds and drive where ever you gotta go and try them both, then get some food and beers after. Sounds like a fun time, and if you're lucky you'll have a new amp in hand! :yesway: :cheers:

Much more interesting than ordering online.....

Attitude is everything, that's an excellent way to look at it! :shred:

dreyn77

Reaction score
get yourself a pick of a pirate who came to grief on the coast of florida and send it to marshall and get the custom shop to print it on the grill cloth of your new amp.

or a brown class5 with the women printed on the front. nobody wants them they should be cheap by now.

dreyn77

Reaction score
get one of the asian versions with Miss Fung, Gus etc... on it.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
check out the Diamond Assassin , This amp has a switch for diode or tube rectifier :
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoQT5LmwFDo]DIAMOND ASSASSIN GUITAR AMP Fire Breather Tube Guitar Amp DEMO & REVIEW - YouTube[/ame]
This amp has a switch for diode or tube rectifier

Last edited: