Amp for home recording in small room

• Thread starter Captshiznit
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AztecAdam

Reaction score
I would do that if that was an option but unfortunately it's not (I live in england small houses and we have a basement studio being set up). I guess I could invest in a THD hotplate attenuator but those cost alot anyway! like 600 dollars here in the UK. I guess i'm mainly thinking such big volume in a small space too will just muddy the recording or am I wrong?

As an eBaddict (just invented that word. I'm going to push for it to be accepted into modern culture from this day forward. Heads up, world :cool:), keep an eye out on eBay for a second hand Hotplate. I scored one for £160 a few months ago. Just make sure you know which one is the one for your amp and set up some eBay reminders so you get notified when the right one's listed.

:jam:

Chris Martins

Reaction score
there are really cool 1 watt amps out there, such as the blackheart BH1H. It's an awesome solution to your problem and I succesfully recording great guitar tones with this little puppy. Sure it's as simple as it gets, but you should record flat and as direct as possible anyways and compress and EQ later. So it's a great solution, and a cheap one too.

george76

Reaction score
ditch the 4x12 and use a single 10" speaker in a cab with a thick grill cloth like basketweave. throw a towel or two over the cab.

much quieter without having to change your amp. obviously a quieter amp helps too...

iron broadsword

Reaction score
Building an isolation booth can be pretty simple. Just make it big enough to set the amp in, and also to stand up in so you can isolate vocals and other things as well. Ideally you could just build it into the corner of the room and use it for everything.