Amp Settings

• Thread starter fiftycalibre
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Landshark

Reaction score
I figured I'd give the TSL users some rep...

All my gear is listed below in my sig but for kicks:

Gibson Les Paul Studio with stock pickups wired directly into the PCB.

JCM 2000 TSL 100

Clean Channel:

bass 1
mids 9
treble 4
volume 10
gain 3
pres 5
mid boost pressed

Crunch Channel:

bass .5
mids 8
treble 1
volume varies
gain 4
pres 6

Lead Channel:

bass 1
mids 8
treble 1
volume varies
gain 3
pres 6

These are my full band settings. Sometimes I'll use the deep switch... depending on the room we play in. The tone cuts and the harmonics are really high pitched and screaming. You might be thinking that with an amp like that, using so little gain, that owning this amp is overkill, but I find that the higher the gain is, the less noticeable the tone is and less useable tone is produced. It won't cut through the mix as well and it just over distorts IMO, becomes kinda fizzy after 7-ish. I just enjoy the tone with the gain at 3. Oddly enough if you use the crunch channel's gain at 7 it sounds nearly identical to the lead channel, but the crunch I get from the crunch channel with the gain at 4 is just amazing! Its clear and very articulate. The clean channel is simply amazing at those settings, especially with NOS preamp tubes or a Tung Sol in V1.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Hey OP and Alex, you didn't state what amp/guitar you were using.

I have to agree with Darryl though. The age and type of tubes, speakers and cab used, speaker cab placement, guitar and pickups. An AC/DC setting is generally for a Gibson solid body of some sort, but what if you have a single coil guitar?

I do agree that it is interesting to see the settings and I will even try a few out myself. Remember the old saying, "It's like horseshoes and hand grenades...you only have to be close!"

RobS

Reaction score
I know I have replied to this post a while back, but that was pre Deoxit Gold!

Now on my 4100dr is as follows

Pres 4.5
bass 4.5
mid 7
treb 5

gain A 10
gain B 12.5

Reverb off

Vol 6 both a & B

Very fat sounding and articulate, play open chords and every string is heard!

nofearfactor

Reaction score
Rack 1>
digital stereo preamp/effects processor:
gain-50 to 75%
bass-6
mid-6
treble-6
amp level-50 to 75%
sonic maximizer:
(both channels)
contour-6
process-6
dual mono power amp:
(both channels)
presence- 50 to ?%
gain- 50 to 75%

Rack 1/Rig 1 signal path: guitar(ESP Eclipse,ESP-LTD EC-400,Les Paul Standard,a Schecter DamienFR and an Agile 7string superstrats w/Floyds,Fender Strat-all with EMG active pickups)>wah>Sabine rack tuner>Fractal AX-FX Ultra digital stereo preamp/effects processor>Rocktron Hush 2CX 2 channel noise reduction unit(levels set to minimum)>BBE 482i 2 channel sonic maximizer>Marshall 9200 Dual MonoBloc 100/100 power amp(Svetlana 6L6s,Brimar 12AT7s,Svetlana 12AX7s)>one Marshall 1960A cab running in stereo or 2 1960As running side by side in mono, one from each channel of the power amp(loaded with stock Celestion G12T-75s).

Rack 2>
digital stereo preamp/effects processor:
gain-60 to 80%
bass-6
mid-6
treble-6
amp level-60 to 80%
sonic maximizer:
(both channels)
contour-6
process-6
stereo power amp:
(both channels)
Level- 50 to 75%
Resonance- 50 to ?%
Presence- 50 to ?%

Rack 2/Rig 2 signal path: guitar(ESP Eclipse,ESP-LTD EC-400,Les Paul Standard,a Schecter Damien FR and an Agile 7string superstrats w/Floyds,Fender Strat-all with EMG active pickups)>wah>Sabine rack tuner>Digitech GSP1101 digital stereo preamp/effects processor>Rocktron Hush 2CX 2 channel noise reduction unit(levels set to minimum)>BBE 482i 2 channel sonic maximizer>Peavey Classic 50/50 stereo power amp(JJ EL84s,JJ 12AT7s,JJ 12AX7s)>one Avatar 212 cab running in stereo or 2 Avatar 212s running in mono, one from each channel of the power amp (loaded with Celestion Vintage 30s).

When I am running into a head instead of using rack preamp and power amps (I own several- a JCM800,a Mesa MKIV,Peavey 5150 and a 6505 both FJA modded- and I usually use JJ tubes I get from Bob/Eurotubes),my approximate settings are usually:
bass-6
mid-6
treble-6
resonance-50 to ?%
presence-50 to ?%
level/volume/gain- 25 to 75 to ?%
or
pre level/volume/gain- 50 to 75%
post level/volume/gain/Master- 25 to 75 to ?%

Last edited:

eljeffebrown

Reaction score
Banding, Snorkeling, High Speed Line Skipping, Boo
I dont think that settings are relevant putting up!! since very amp is different + there are SOOO many variables,,,,pick ups, wood of guitar, speakers, wood of cab ecc it will all make a difference, its no use trying a setting on my 2203 that someone said is like the slash tone if he tried it on a 900 with different pups, guitar,cab ecc !!!

Yea but did you ever stop to think that someone that is new to tone and to this board might be reading this and think to themselves "wow i might try that setting on my amp". there is allot of knowledge on this board and up till you chimed in I thought we were all sharing that knowledge. don't be a doucheweasel and just have fun posting your #'s man! :dude:

with that said,

50 watt Hi Gain Dual (modded)

Vol (ch b) 4
Rev 0
Vol (ch a) 4¼ (useing it as a lead channel)
Rev 6
Pres 8
Bass 5
Mid 8
Treb 5
Gain (ch b) 14
Gain (ch a) 20

JCM900MkIII

Reaction score
Re: Amp Settings for AC/DC

Marshall JCM900 MkIII with JJ E34L power tubes
Amp boosted by Fulldrive II with Vol 1 o'clock, Tone 12 o'clock and the Overdrive 11 o'clock, with Compression Cut switch on (Comp Cut adds bottom end and chord clarity), Boost/Distortion is not needed.
Presence: 0 (this also adds bottom end)
Treble: 9
Mids: 5
Bass: 8
Gain: 0 (this disengages the crappy diodes)
Preamp: 6 to 7 (this provides that AC/DC medium dirty gain)

Ken

Reaction score
OMG..this is an old thread! I used to put my mids on TEN!! LOL These days it's more like 4. Very little sounds good on a DSL on 10. Just the gain on the green or volume on either!

Ken

mariosoldano

Reaction score
Here are two different amp settings you might like to try. I think these are pretty close. Guitar is straight into amp with no FX. OD channel.

AC/DC GAIN=3 TREBLE=7 MID=7 BASS=7 REVERB=0

Deep Purple GAIN=7 TREBLE=5 MID=6 BASS=5 REVERB=0

Does anyone have settings they want to share?

what amp?????:lol: