• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Amp suddenly sounds muddy

• Thread starter Blaoskaak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blaoskaak

Reaction score
Hi,

A few minuts ago i was playing guitar and suddenly volume dropped a bit and everything sounds muddy and sounds not bright.

I did some research and find out that it can be a tube.

My amp is sv20h, i play with a attenuator ( harley benton pa-100 )who can handle 100w amps.

Volume on attenuator was on 0,5 at the moment. And high treble on amp is on 7 and i have channel 1 and 2 linked.

Can the attenuator in 0.5 be the problem?

If i need to replace my tubes, what tubes shall i buy? Is there any diffrence with vintage and modern?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score
Have you tried it without the attenuator?

It could be a bad preamp tube. Do you have any extra ones? If not, take one from another amp, and swap each one individually, right down the line, by process of elimination. That's where I would start.

Tung-Sol, EH, Mullard Ri's....all good for a Marshall for current production.

Blaoskaak

Reaction score
Have you tried it without the attenuator?

It could be a bad preamp tube. Do you have any extra ones? If not, take one from another amp, and swap each one individually, right down the line, by process of elimination. That's where I would start.

Tung-Sol, EH, Mullard Ri's....all good for a Marshall for current production.

Yup, i tried it without attenuator. I don't have another amp. So i guess i just buy some tubes and try it out. If it is not the problem, i have some spare ones.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
Yup, i tried it without attenuator. I don't have another amp. So i guess i just buy some tubes and try it out. If it is not the problem, i have some spare ones.
And, without the attenuator, how did it sound? I’ve had attenuators go “bad” over time and I could not get a good tone until I unplugged the attenuator.

Blaoskaak

Reaction score
ECC83 is the same as 12AX7 (those are the preamp tubes) EL34's are the power tubes.

Sorry, that link doesn't work for me.

Ok. The link are tuning Sol nn099-g tube 12ax7. They are a bit more expansive then other ones. Do you hear a diffrence in diffrent pre amps?

Yep! 12AX7 is what you're looking for. EHX are also fantastic tubes for the price. Make sure those filaments on the power tubes look okay as well.

Thanks! Will look at it too.

And, without the attenuator, how did it sound? I’ve had attenuators go “bad” over time and I could not get a good tone until I unplugged the attenuator.

I tried it without de attenuator. Didn't help. A attenuator should be able to play on 0.5 volume or not?

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
Ok. The link are tuning Sol nn099-g tube 12ax7. They are a bit more expansive then other ones. Do you hear a diffrence in diffrent pre amps?

Thanks! Will look at it too.

I tried it without de attenuator. Didn't help. A attenuator should be able to play on 0.5 volume or not?
The attenuator is probably ok, then.

Iron1

Reaction score
Definitely seems like you dropped a tube to me from what you're describing. There's a few places out there that sell "tube kits" based on what amp you have, if one dropped might not be a bad idea to get a whole set and replace 'em all, then keep the old ones that aren't dead as spares.

Blaoskaak

Reaction score
Definitely seems like you dropped a tube to me from what you're describing. There's a few places out there that sell "tube kits" based on what amp you have, if one dropped might not be a bad idea to get a whole set and replace 'em all, then keep the old ones that aren't dead as spares.

With dropped you don't mean fall on the ground do you?

Replace only the pre amp or with the power tubes too?

Iron1

Reaction score
With dropped you don't mean fall on the ground do you?

Replace only the pre amp or with the power tubes too?

By dropped I mean it burned out/stopped working. And, yeah, I’d replace em all. If ones died the others might not be far behind.

Blaoskaak

Reaction score
By dropped I mean it burned out/stopped working. And, yeah, I’d replace em all. If ones died the others might not be far behind.

Oké great! Will do that. Gonna buy the tubes today. Hope that the problem is solved then.

Iron1

Reaction score
Oké great! Will do that. Gonna buy the tubes today. Hope that the problem is solved then.
While I can't promise you - sight unseen - that this will fix it, it sure sounds like it should. And, as if on cue, I just read this in a manual for a new (to me) amp I just bought:

d8pUHVs.jpg

dro

Reaction score
It is also possible (not likely) but possible for a tube to burn out in a month. Tube amps do need a bit of maintenance. So keeping a set of new tubes, both pre and power. Is a good idea. Back in the old days. You could buy tubes anywhere. So not such a big deal. But today, on line is pretty much the only outlet. A good idea is, do a little research. Buy a few different brands. Different tubes can also make youre amp sound different. Even different tubes of the same brand. Make sure power tubes are matched. You may never need them. But if you do. It's nice to get them off the shelf, and not be without sound.

Blaoskaak

Reaction score
I built and sold OC44 rangemaster clones for a while. If you can get your hands on a rangemaster circuit, get it. I've tried lots of treble boosters and the rangemaster sounds good with just about all amps.

While I can't promise you - sight unseen - that this will fix it, it sure sounds like it should. And, as if on cue, I just read this in a manual for a new (to me) amp I just bought:

It is also possible (not likely) but possible for a tube to burn out in a month. Tube amps do need a bit of maintenance. So keeping a set of new tubes, both pre and power. Is a good idea. Back in the old days. You could buy tubes anywhere. So not such a big deal. But today, on line is pretty much the only outlet. A good idea is, do a little research. Buy a few different brands. Different tubes can also make youre amp sound different. Even different tubes of the same brand. Make sure power tubes are matched. You may never need them. But if you do. It's nice to get them off the shelf, and not be without sound.

Ok , I took my amp to the music store. Told them I needed new tubes. The gentleman said: come along with the amplifier and then I can see which tubes are in it and then you get the good ones.
When I arrived the technical service connected the amplifier to the radio???? this sounded good and then he indicated that the amplifier is good and new tubes are not needed. Also both pre-tubes are glowing and this also said that everything was good.

He said it was one of the cables. He told me to measure it. Now I have come home and I think all cables are good. Put the multimeter on 200v and there is about 70v going through the cables.
I recorded an audio fragment so you can hear how the amplifier sounds.

https://voca.ro/kBZAbeS6eIm

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score
Ok , I took my amp to the music store. Told them I needed new tubes. The gentleman said: come along with the amplifier and then I can see which tubes are in it and then you get the good ones.
When I arrived the technical service connected the amplifier to the radio???? this sounded good and then he indicated that the amplifier is good and new tubes are not needed. Also both pre-tubes are glowing and this also said that everything was good.

He said it was one of the cables. He told me to measure it. Now I have come home and I think all cables are good. Put the multimeter on 200v and there is about 70v going through the cables.

OK. Well I did mention early in the thread to check your cables too :)

Kelia

Reaction score

Nice overtones ! :D

Latest posts