Amps we dont talk about in public.

• Thread starter ricksdisconnected
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Donnie Ellis

Reaction score
lets talk amps. no marshalls, no friedman, no boogie, no kits, no orange or vox,
none of the popular amps we normally talk about.
what amps do you have and love that we just normally dont talk about or consider?
i know this could get embarrassing for some of us but hell some of us might find
something new to look at too.

I had a Crate Blue Voodoo 120 Tube Head with a Crate 4X12 Cab with Celestions that I used on stage for years until I bought my first Marshall Half Stack. I had some Groove Tubes put in it and actually loved it! It was a tuff old amp, had a lot of Shows and Miles under its belt and I must say, that I never had any problems with it at all. Sold it about a decade ago..

Deacon_Blue

Reaction score
There was a brief point in time when the online forums and YouTubers were extolling the virtues of the Peavey Classic 20 mini head. So I got one along with the 1x12 cab. I like my Deluxe Reverb better, but I’m getting some good tones out of it.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I always thought those Kustom tuck n roll amps were cool looking, blue sparkle, red sparkle, orange sparkle, I did plug into a couple through the years and they sound as awful as they look LOL.

EdC

Reaction score
lets talk amps. no marshalls, no friedman, no boogie, no kits, no orange or vox,
none of the popular amps we normally talk about.
what amps do you have and love that we just normally dont talk about or consider?
i know this could get embarrassing for some of us but hell some of us might find
something new to look at too.

EdC

Reaction score
I wanted a Marshall 1974x hand wired, but after trying one out at my local shop, cranking it up to get the goods, it was way too loud! I ending up purchasing a Park 1800 from Colby Amplification and I’m sure glad I did. There is an option available to have the option of the full 18 watts, 7 watts, 1 watt or a half a watt. Plus you can jumper the two channels with a switch. Great bedroom amp or it could definately be loud enough for a good sized gig. I’ll put it this way, the tone is so awesome, it makes me sound good! Plus Mitch Colby answered all my questions and was great to deal with!

Greg70

Reaction score
Another one that I miss is my early 90's red knob Fender Princeton Stereo Chorus. It was an all solid state 2x10" combo with two 25W power amps. It had great full saturation distortion with pretty good tone shaping and stereo effects loop. The built in chorus was flexible and worked by having one channel/speaker with no effect while it pitch-modulated the other. You could manipulate the effects loop jacks so that only the modulated channel played and it would make your tone sound like you were drunk as the pitch wobbled up and down. It was a good reliable amp but needed just a little more headroom when playing with a loud drummer. I ended up trading it in on something that I can't even remember.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
that thing sounds sweet. bet it makes a good harp amp too.
is that you playing? your channel?

Affirmative affirmative

*BTW, if you couldn't tell, the 1st half of that clip is with the Tele, the 2nd half with the Les Paul

I remember seeing that amp in another thread sometime ago. No doubt about it, it's one of those rare finds. That's a really nice sounding amp Alvin.
I dig the dice controls too. :dude: They definitely fit it's surprisingly ballsy personality.

The little Danelectro DM10 in my closet gets a bit like that when run wide open through an extension cab. I love the little wolf in sheep's clothing amps from days gone by.

Was very funny , just after 9-11. I was in a so-called vintage store in the Midwest....one o' those joints where they follow ya around to make sure you steal nothing. So I check out all their overpriced vintage sh*t,then head upstairs where they kept rejects and unmentionables

I see this amp and immediately plug it in . Next thing ,their mouths drop ,"Are you getting THAT sound outa THAT amp ?" I said I surely was and I plunked down my $59 before they had a chance to raise the price . It wasn't quite where it is now,tone-wise . There was somethin weird with the tone control .When I got back from the trip I sorted it all out to what it is now

Last edited:

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I'm going to throw another B-52 into the mix!

The AT-100 was designed by Bruce Egnator to B-52's specs and final circuit tweaks by Dave Friedman.... Talk about a sleeper amp! I always dug the B-52s, a buddy has one he has been using for years. He is in no way concerned about gear and tech, he just likes to play. I've never thought he had bad tone, I have alwqys tried showing him some of my gear, I've tried educating him on tube amps, different voicing of different makes (Marshall, Fender, Vox etc) and he just says he didn't really hear enough difference to bother buying new gear, he is happy and finds he gets the sound he wants with what he has...

I played in his band for a short while and the other guitarist also had a B-52, I really enjoyed it. It was easy to dial in, sounded big and mean and my only gripe was in the full band setting it was difficult to make cut into the mix. I found the same head for $85 and couldn't pass on that price, I have since given it to my nephew but kinda regret it now.

I am 100% curious to hunt down the AT-100 considering the pedigree behind it. I have seen them going for less than $200 and to be honest, for that price nearly any tube amp is a steal, let alone one that had Egnator and Friedman involved... Insane how picky us guitarist can be when it comes to the logo on the front!

Doctor_Zoidberg

Reaction score
HH IC100 Head. Excellent for a Solid State amp.
And the control Panel lights up blue as well.... neat.
4626_2_ver1405193086.jpg

BRMarshall

Reaction score
Bought a Bugera V5 combo a little over a month ago, well, because. I generally play a Fender Player Telecaster through it. Stock it was a bit boxy sounding. I replaced the speaker with a Celestion Eight 15, and stock tubes with Genalex 22ax7 and EL84. Completely different sounding amp. No real gain with the Tele’s single coils anymore, just straight in, but It makes me smile every time I play it. Great small clean amp for very little money, well... a little more than stock, but still feel it to be a great value.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
its funny how this thread has brought up so many amps that a lot of us have never heard of
which was my intentions. the "amps we dont talk about in public" was tongue in cheek
which most of you got lol.
anybody else hear about a amp in this thread that they are now curious about?

Riffraff

Reaction score
Affirmative affirmative

*BTW, if you couldn't tell, the 1st half of that clip is with the Tele, the 2nd half with the Les Paul

Was very funny , just after 9-11. I was in a so-called vintage store in the Midwest....one o' those joints where they follow ya around to make sure you steal nothing. So I check out all their overpriced vintage sh*t,then head upstairs where they kept rejects and unmentionables

I see this amp and immediately plug it in . Next thing ,their mouths drop ,"Are you getting THAT sound outa THAT amp ?" I said I surely was and I plunked down my $59 before they had a chance to raise the price . It wasn't quite where it is now,tone-wise . There was somethin weird with the tone control .When I got back from the trip I sorted it all out to what it is now

:lol: Nice! I had an experience similar to that. I spotted a "non-working...could be tubes or something" 1482 listed about 15 minutes away from my place of work for $180. This was around the time they were selling for $400....they've gone up some since. I called the guy for directions and went right over with the money burning a hole in my pocket. He brought out the amp, I pointed out one of the volume pots was broken and just spun and he started trying to downplay the problems repeating his ad copy about possible tubes needing replacement and it was likely an easy repair trying to close the deal. I spun the amp around to look at the OT and I saw right way that the speaker wires were a mess of taped up lamp cord poked through the holes in the speaker terminals and twisted like bread ties only one side wasn't connected at all. I connected it and asked the guy if he had a guitar so I could test it. I didn't want it if it had a blown OT but there was no sign of that. He said he did and brought one over. I plugged it in and fired it up and the amp worked fine so I stuck the $180 in his hand. He stared at the cash in his open hand for a good 10 count trying to think of what to do next. I grabbed the amp and headed for the door. He said something like well that worked out for you or something like that and I thanked him and left. A year or so later he must have been trolling for 1482 clips on YouTube and saw a clip I posted of it and commented that it sounded good and he was happy I was taking good care of it. It was a little weird. :rofl:

Last edited:

end user

Reaction score
I had a Crate Blue Voodoo 120 Tube Head with a Crate 4X12 Cab with Celestions that I used on stage for years until I bought my first Marshall Half Stack. I had some Groove Tubes put in it and actually loved it! It was a tuff old amp, had a lot of Shows and Miles under its belt and I must say, that I never had any problems with it at all. Sold it about a decade ago..

I never understood why people bagged on those I have owned a couple of them. All I had to do was twist the knobs a little to make it sound good.

Richard Young

Reaction score
Another one that I miss is my early 90's red knob Fender Princeton Stereo Chorus. It was an all solid state 2x10" combo with two 25W power amps. It had great full saturation distortion with pretty good tone shaping and stereo effects loop. The built in chorus was flexible and worked by having one channel/speaker with no effect while it pitch-modulated the other. You could manipulate the effects loop jacks so that only the modulated channel played and it would make your tone sound like you were drunk as the pitch wobbled up and down. It was a good reliable amp but needed just a little more headroom when playing with a loud drummer. I ended up trading it in on something that I can't even remember.

I have, gigged, and still sometimes use its big brother, the Fender M80 Stereo Chorus head. Think a Roland Jazz Chorus, but with a Fender quality clean channel, good reverb and great chorus. The gain channel was as you describe - pretty much full-on solid state saturation. The gain channel was a one trick pony, but it does that trick well.