• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Amps you regret buying

• Thread starter PentodeLicious
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MP+

Reaction score
The mid honk is in the 8 MIC vintage 30 version.
Also the Marshall Vintage 30 have that honky sound to them and they are 16 OHM.
The MIC 16 OHM vintage version is scooped af and have alot of high end.
Perfect for the Orange amplifiers.
May sound pretty awful with naturally mid scooped amps like ENGL, MESAs and most modern metal amplifiers.

Confused yet? yes there are almost 10 versions of vintage 30's.
Check out this dude video explains it better:

Ah yes it is a one prick pony indeed. the drive channel is awful. the clean is great.
I modded the **** out of mine but didn't like it.
Converted it to a 40W SLO clone it is a monster now.

I have the HR Deluxe 2 which sounded pretty lame until I researched a few options. I barely played it until I ran a "Fromel" upgrade kit through it. That kit is overpriced as far as components go but honestly I didn't give a stuff since I was time poor at the time and couldn't get motivated to work it out for myself. Didn't even bother testing through the original Fender speaker but just grabbed a used V30 from Ebay. I suspect it was one of the good ones since from the first time I plugged my 69' Strat in after the work, it was like a timewarp sound straight back to the 60's. I'm running Sovtek o/p tubes but have a stash of black plate RCA that I'm just about to hook up. It sounds more vintage Marshall like an old Blues combo or something from back in the day, No pedals, no anything, just running the onboard channels and Reverb which was modified as part of the kit. As far as ultimate trash amps go - two words - Dean Markley. They surfaced for a while in the late 80's. Apparently the tube o/p version was Ok but I landed a real slug which had a transistor o/p. Luckily it formed part of a trade in for a 25/50 Silver Jubilee Marshall head before it totally faded away into the Amp. history junkyard.

abkeller1

Reaction score
JCM 2000 DSL 50. Never got along with it now trying to sell it and no one wants it. People afraid of the Bias Drift issues, which i had no idea about this when i got it 10 years ago. Mine works perfectly yet no one wants it. What a waste.

nortiks

Reaction score
JCM 2000 DSL 50. Never got along with it now trying to sell it and no one wants it. People afraid of the Bias Drift issues, which i had no idea about this when i got it 10 years ago. Mine works perfectly yet no one wants it. What a waste.
What is it tonally that doesn't work for you? I was underwhelmed with mine when I got it in and after I fixed all of its problems and did some reading, decided to try a 12DW7/ECC832 in V1 and its a keeper now.

mtm105

Reaction score
Friedman. I know it's a sacred cow.

I had Runt50 and Dirty Shirly. both just didn't have the right sound/feel to me. I traded both for Budda 30W combo & 45W

Wildeman

Reaction score
My first big amp, it was a wood front 2x12 Crate and was super sucky, at least it taught me how shitty amps could be.Screenshot_20240919-103202~2.pngpretty sure it was this one, it's kinda hazy in my memory. I made up for it though, next amp was a USA tweed Blues Deluxe, that thing kicked ass.

Last edited:

mr_tornado_head

Reaction score
Legend Rock N Roll 50
Although the Oak cab and g 12 80 were cool , the amp never really delivered
Yeah, I've had several of these through the years. It seems about every 7 or 8 years I think getting one is a cool idea, then I end up selling it.

The Legends deliver for me *if* you are looking for that midrangey, Rockman-esque sound. For me, they sound great in a band mix but by themselves it sounds like a speaker in a cardboard box.

Latest posts