An interesting "plexi"

• Thread starter playloud
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Messed up power switch, in the center position? Caps are failing. Lacking screen grid resistors. Not seeing what's making it a "joke", exactly, but something does seem "off" about it. Care to enlighten me as to what's triggering you about it?

100W

Reaction score
Messed up power switch, in the center position? Caps are failing. Lacking screen grid resistors. Not seeing what's making it a "joke", exactly, but something does seem "off" about it. Care to enlighten me as to what's triggering you about it?
Maybe you could ask the seller for some measurements for making accurate 1987T repro panels :D

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
The back panel fonts are nothing I've ever seen before, but I can't say with any certainty if it's a copy. I did note that it's not typical. Not Tremolo nor the Made In England section.

I wasn't going to call that out as being a bad repro because I'd rather get a second opinion. Better to close your mouth and remain silent, than to open your mouth and give people cause to question your knowledge.

100W

Reaction score
A 1968 would have a perforated board, lay down PT & that choke looks like one from a 2203... I'm certain there are other things besides all the not-original-to-a-plexi output selectors etc that someone more knowledgeable would point out.

playloud

Reaction score

It's rather obviously a later ('70?) 1987T that someone has slapped "plexi" panels on - which happen to be particularly heinous reproductions.

It's always funnier when the seller is a business, but sadly, no more surprising.

TAZIN

Reaction score
It looks like a 1970 amp with replaced front & back panels...Poor reproductions too.

thesunship

Reaction score
did someone let them know? if i was that business (5 star feedback) I would want to know about this before I sell it to someone. He'll probably pull it.

Ned B

Reaction score
The date stamp on the PT's end bell indicates that has been changed.

I know this store well as a brick and mortar store in downtown Evanston for decades. The owner who I believe has retired has left the store for his kid(s) to run. Never-the-less their in-house tech, "Mr. Bill" knows Marshalls and would have alerted on the obvious questionability.

Ned B

Reaction score
I peg production to around 04/1970 based on still having the "upside-down" handle with logo possibly being the just introduced narrow pin spacing logo. We would have to see if the holes were redrilled. Obviously, a modern gold narrow pin reissue, but it is very possible this amp has the correct logo-type. I see A0 and C9 mustard codes, so the amp could well be a bit earlier.

playloud

Reaction score

I know this store well as a brick and mortar store in downtown Evanston for decades. The owner who I believe has retired has left the store for his kid(s) to run. Never-the-less their in-house tech, "Mr. Bill" knows Marshalls and would have alerted on the obvious questionability.

To their credit, I sent them a message on Reverb and they have withdrawn the listing for review. Not every dealer has that kind of integrity (ATB Guitars in the UK come to mind).

guitarworksltd

Reaction score
Larry from Guitar Works here. Thanks to everyone who weighed in on our Reverb listing. We've been in business a long time, and are not in the habit of misrepresenting ourselves. Vintage Marshalls are not something everyone is up to date on (our amp tech actually did the research that led to this sale) and your comments helped us realize we were off base with this one. The consensus seems to be that it's a modified 1970 with some less-than-original plexi panels. It's on consignment from one of our customers, Anyone have a notion of what it might be worth, if this is the case? Thanks again for your help.

criminy jicket

Reaction score

Ned, Conor here. I've been working at Guitar Works since 1997 with Mr. Bill. Call me. 8474750855