Any good videos on how to change PCB components?

• Thread starter BlueX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlueX

Reaction score
Anyone who can recommend good "how-to" videos on replacing soldered PCB components? I have watched some already, but they don't seem reassuring.

Current need is to replace bias caps on my '79 2104.

I have experiment boards and components for practicing, but they are not 45 years old.

PelliX

Reaction score
Well, there's a lot of tips and tricks depending on your methods. Just the other day I was working on a Tektronix scope from '87 that had a bunch of stuffed Mallory caps. Generally I tend to 'refresh' the joints a little with some fresh solder while keeping an eye on the thermal strain. Then grab the desoldering gun set to an adequate temperature and get the old and new solder out in one go. The parts tend to just fall out that way. If you're working with de-soldering braid or wick then you might try adding a little flux to transfer the heat quicker and more effectively. Got a picture of the piece in question?

BlueX

Reaction score
Well, there's a lot of tips and tricks depending on your methods. Just the other day I was working on a Tektronix scope from '87 that had a bunch of stuffed Mallory caps. Generally I tend to 'refresh' the joints a little with some fresh solder while keeping an eye on the thermal strain. Then grab the desoldering gun set to an adequate temperature and get the old and new solder out in one go. The parts tend to just fall out that way. If you're working with de-soldering braid or wick then you might try adding a little flux to transfer the heat quicker and more effectively. Got a picture of the piece in question?
Thanks! I know the steps, at least in theory, but would like to see how it's done in a proper way.

Pic's below. Plan to loosen input jacks and pots, and tilt the board to reach underside.

M2104-06.jpgFrako bias caps.jpg

PelliX

Reaction score
Pic's below. Plan to loosen input jacks and pots, and tilt the board to reach underside.

Sounds easy enough. You might want to loosen the pots, too, but you'll figure it out.

Here's Dave demonstrating some desoldering in practice. Not sure if you a have a station, of course:

PelliX

Reaction score
Manual pump-action

It seems everyone has their own preferences and tools for a given job. I never got on with (manual) solder suckers much, always went for the wick when possible. For clearing out holes I would often just heat the solder and use compressed air to blow it out. Then I eventually bought my desoldering station, pretty much the same as what Dave is demonstrating in the video. Game changer. Yes, it's cheap, noisy, requires the nozzle and filter to be cleaned now and then - but it makes life so much faster and easier on the bench. I'd recommend it in the blink of an eye to any 'home enthousiast' or small business. My particular model ran a 12V fan in the back at about 15V, so obviously that thing was destined for a limited life-span, but otherwise it was designed and assembled quite alright. While I've never heard anyone mention it, it's also a great asset for cleaning component legs that have solder left on them.

LyseFar

Reaction score
….I would surely like to have one of these machine one day.

Yeah - I have never liked using solder wick - think it is difficult - though it should be the most gentle of the different methods.

PelliX

Reaction score
….I would surely like to have one of these machine one day.

Yeah - I have never liked using solder wick - think it is difficult - though it should be the most gentle of the different methods.

All I can say is do it. Life is too short to be dicking around with wick for ages when you could have done all the legs of the component in question in maybe 15-30 seconds. That's what I found out way later than I would have liked to. :)

Not even a hundred pounds, that's pretty much what I have. Even comes with the other size nozzles, cleaning thingies and spare filters.

LyseFar

Reaction score
….Thanks for the heads up. 👍 Thought they were more expensive… I will look into this….