Any opinions - Is the DSL 40CR better than the DSL 40C?

• Thread starter rob mcfee
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Roe

Reaction score
I see that one of each of these is for sale (used) in my town for the same amount of $ so I am curious about opinions from those of you who have experience with them.
I want to use it live so volume balances and so on are important. Thanks!
It's a no-brainer....get the CR.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Yes.

To be serious, the CR has 2 master volumes which, given the same price, would be totally worth it. The CR also has footswitchable modes for each channel with the 6 button controller that the 40C does not have and has a different voicing that is supposed to be generally nicer.
It's a no brainer.
Run, don't walk, and get it!!

cvansickle

Reaction score
I have owned both models. I traded the C for the CR last summer and I have no regrets. All around, just a better sounding amp to my ears. Plays nice at all volume levels.

Paul H.

Reaction score
+1 for the CR.
Master volume, switchable channels, presence, resonance.....
Make sure your buying the right amp: it needs to be played loud to get the best tone.
When I say loud I mean LOUD!
When you do it’s blistering....

Jackson404

Reaction score
Absolutely IMO. The CR is heads and tails better than the 40c and the 100H. I owned the 100H for a few months and it was just ok. It did have the fizzy problem, did the c19 mod which was not completely satisfactory. Got the 40C to compare and it was the same. I did like the Clean/crunch on those amps. The DSL40CR seems to have addressed all the issues with the previous DSL version. I find the OD channels smoother and very usable. The Clean/Crunch is where im living at the moment. the V-Type speaker is an excellent choice for this amp.
I set out to buy a small amp for home and brought home the DSL20CR and after playing it for a week i returned it for the DSL40CR could not be happier and well worth the few extra bucks.

rob mcfee

Reaction score
Absolutely IMO. The CR is heads and tails better than the 40c and the 100H. I owned the 100H for a few months and it was just ok. It did have the fizzy problem, did the c19 mod which was not completely satisfactory. Got the 40C to compare and it was the same. I did like the Clean/crunch on those amps. The DSL40CR seems to have addressed all the issues with the previous DSL version. I find the OD channels smoother and very usable. The Clean/Crunch is where im living at the moment. the V-Type speaker is an excellent choice for this amp.
I set out to buy a small amp for home and brought home the DSL20CR and after playing it for a week i returned it for the DSL40CR could not be happier and well worth the few extra bucks.
That's very interesting and it really sounds like Marshall has put some time into this newest design.
There is also a Swart Super Sport for sale but it's $1500. which is 3 times the price of the used DSL 40CR. And it's just a head. And no reverb.
I watched some videos on the 40CR and I am quite excited - it really sounds great.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only Dsl I own is the Dsl1hr, but from what I’ve read both are great amps. Again, from what I’ve read, the 40cr has more voices because of the extra MV.

The Dslcr and the Dslhr lines are voiced differently from the Dslc and the Dslh lines.

That doesn’t mean they sound better, just different. Let your ears make the decision. I heard some guys say “you wouldn’t be able to take my Dsl40c out of my cold dead hands”.

If the store has a decent return policy you could buy both of them,...keep the one that suites you better,...while retuning the other one.

Just a thought!

rob mcfee

Reaction score
Well it's actually a private sale so I can't try both easily. It doesn't have a footswitch but that shouldn't be a problem - I should be able to find one that works.
Or maybe that fancy 6 button one would be best.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
I haven't had a Marshall since .......1985

That's the first line of a new song !! lol

ok ok everybody agrees that the CR is better. Not having heard or played one I can only offer this. Based on MV and separate channel eq's obviously the CR would be the way to go however I will say that the DSL40 ( which I do have ) is so good that it shouldn't take a back seat.
In other words yes get the CR for it's added functions but no need to second guess the DSL40.
It is a very dependable and very good sounding amp. ( speaker & tube swap not withstanding):2c:
BP
p.s. Oh yeah that 6 button foot switch is a big plus too in favour of the CR.