Any Way To Lower The Dsl100h Gain On The Red Channels?

• Thread starter rpurdue
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
With the DSL100H, V1B is the only stage that is unique to the Ultra (Lead 1, Lead 2) channel. All other tube stages are shared (V1A, V2A/B, V3A/B), and V4 (PI).

Dmann

Reaction score
Hi guys! I tried to search through the mega thread on the DSL40C but i couldn't find a way to phrase it specific enough. Anyways, is there any mods to lower the gain on Lead1/2 on the new DSL? I tried 5751's and even then, it's still way too much. Any info is appreciated!

Cheers

I own a 2014 DSL100H. I tried lower gain tubes and didn't like how it "dulled the blade" so to speak. I tried a few different tubes as well, but to be honest I think the best tone is to be had from a high gain tube. I like Chinese tubes. Everyone has thier own taste.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
With the DSL100H, V1B is the only stage that is unique to the Ultra (Lead 1, Lead 2) channel. All other tube stages are shared (V1A, V2A/B, V3A/B), and V4 (PI).

Gotcha, thanks for the lesson. I wasn't sure how the big one was laid out. I guess the 15 doesn't use v3 for green because it's clean only, doesn't need the extra stages.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotcha, thanks for the lesson. I wasn't sure how the big one was laid out. I guess the 15 doesn't use v3 for green because it's clean only, doesn't need the extra stages.

You would need to locate the 15H schematic, but I am quite sure all the DSL offerings old and new are laid out the same for the gain stages topology. The Red channel on yours should be using all tube assignments while the Green channel bypasses half of V1.

To lower gain just on the Red channel, there are a couple grid load resistors that can be lowered in value to back off the gain a bit. I gave this advice to someone else here some time ago and he was very happy with the results. It gave his red channel more of an older classic Marshall feel and sound.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Best way to reduce gain easily is to lower the volume on your guitar.
Next best way might be to lower the gain by reducing the signal in the Ultra channel.
You can do this by modding the circuit and raising the values of a couple resistors.
Unfortunately there will be slight EQ differences that you may need to compensate for afterward.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Circuit mods last.

Try this. V1 JJ 12AX7 MG. V2 12AY7. V3 & PI 12AX7's.

Lots of other things to do...but really. When its time.

What pups, guitar and speakers are you using?

This amp is easy to compensate the green side and utilize pedals where this amp really can take off. Mine takes the fuck off. No circuit mods. And I'm pro circuit mod.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Yeah, mods aren't always the answer. I modded the shit out of mine (increased gain on Classic channel, reduced gain on Ultra channel, balanced EQ on both channels...). Got it as close to what I wanted as possible, now rarely play through it. :scratch:

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
V1A and V1B are the first two stages. A 12DW7/7247/ECC832 or ECC823, which ever puts the 12AU7 side in the V1B position may work fine in this scenario. The ECC823 is opposite hand with 20u and 100u sides swapped.

Other than that the V1B stage has to modified to drop gain.

rpurdue

Reaction score
Well, the JJ tube i have is a 12ax7 in the first stage and a 12au7 in the 2nd. Didn't do much in V2 but in V1 it made a nice difference! Much more usable now. I'd still like to lower it more so i may get a 2nd for v2? Nit sure though as it didn't seem to make much difference in V2 on it's own

Kutt

Reaction score
Yeah... two 12AU7s? You'd be neutering your Marshall at that point. hahaha. Pushing it into broken up Fender territory. But it's fun to experiment. Try it!

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
I would try lowering the grid load resistors on the incoming and outgoing side of V1B first. The incoming side might be best to try first as that will affect the clipping characteristics and sensitivity of the Red channel only. Try a few different values from 470K down to 100K.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good grief.

Take your phone and make a clip of what you don't like. If it is beyond tube or speaker then its time to hit the circuit for some tweaks.

Show what its doing that you don't like. Words usually fall short.

Maybe the amp is having a mechanical?

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the 12AY7 in V2 with a certain 12AX7. DSL40C. L1

Correct if I'm wrong...but I hear nothing from your guitars...but my friend's know what they say. No doubt.

Last edited:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My ole lady say's play that funky music white boy.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to excuse myself. From this thread. Too much speculation.
.not enuff execution.

Pussies. No orgasm.

Latest posts