Anybody play Dimarzio pickups?

• Thread starter djonesy59
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

st.bede

Reaction score
I had a strange Dimarzio pickup. in a cheap guitar, in the neck position, back in 89 or so....I was so dark and thick..I think it was a single coil...anyone know what it was?

luekemeyer

Reaction score
Super Distortion DP100 in my Les Paul bridge position, a D Activator DP219 in the neck position. I have never cared for the muffled sound of the neck position so I just keep it on the bridge. Can get good harmonics squeal with the DP219. My Ibanez has Dimebucker in the Bridge. I removed the neck pickup and refinished the guitar to only have one pickup and one volume knob. Sound OK, but I mostly play the Les Paul because of the superior sound and how smooth it plays.

poeman33

Reaction score
I've had many of them. I was absolutely thrilled when the HS-1 came out. A single coil that didn't hum... I prefer Fender's noiseless pickups now, as I think they have a more authentic Fender sound in a noiseless single coil, but Dimarzio still has good quality stuff. And they have always answered any questions directly and quickly.

guitarweasel

Reaction score
They used to make one called a Mega Drive, co designed with Leslie West, if you can find one, they are outstanding! I also have a pair of Super Distortions with no serial # in my Hamer Sunburst Prototype.....Killer!

lerxst88

Reaction score
i just popped an old super distortion into my PRS se and added a coil tap.

its weird because sometimes it sounds sooooooo sweet and other times it sounds like garbage. i think i just have to re adjust some of my settings to work with a new pickup!

sojatriani

Reaction score
I have tryed many of there pups and not overly impressed. SEYMOUR DUNCAN .................IMO

Duncans are really EQ'd flat and they just don't speak like a Dimarzio does. I use a Duncan JB/Jazz in my RG550 and it's great for the old metal sound, but for instumental stuff, the Dimarzio is open and has a vowel sound, is more responsive and just sings better for single note lines, probably why most all instrumental rock/fusion players play them. I do like the Duncan 'Lil 59 in my strat though, those single spaced humbuckers do sound better than the Dimarzio single spaced 'buckers IMHO...But both brands are top shelf, no doubt.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
for me they were so loose sounding , and i agree they were too bass heavy or
the highs would cut your head off , the JB works for me very well , i have the
jazz in the neck of a few guitars , they sound more like a LES PAUL pup , so
thats why i went with the jazz. but too each there own . IMO

MODDEDMARSHALL

Reaction score
I like the Breed pickups in my JEM7DBK. The bridge pickup midrange matches really well with my DSL 50. It's a new level of ease for pinch harmonics and distorted tones on the ultra(red) channel.

ButchieT

Reaction score
Big fan of Dimarzio PAF pickups....from the old days!!
Butch/Indy

MogHoz

Reaction score
DiMarzio pickups are great. I have 2 homebrew strats with HS3s in the bridge, HS2s in the neck and middle. They clean up great, no hum.

--
MogHoz

00jett

Reaction score
i have an air zone and air norton in my les paul studio. great pickups especially when wired with different options.

Blade Guitars

Reaction score
Hii!!

I play a Dimarzio Mo'joe in a Peavey Wolfgang (bridge position), and

It's has a very linear tone, great punch, good for hard rock stuff!!

ironlung40

Reaction score
I have a dimarzio super distortion in the bridge and a dimarzio paf in the neck. I love em'. the superdistortion is not as smooth as some humbuckers, but it can cover anything from classic to grunge and some metal too. the paf is really lush and fat. It needs the proper tone pot for it though, or it can sound muddy.

Ironlung40

rockinr0ll

Reaction score
I bought the Breed, Area 61, and Air Norton.... I love those pickups!

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Had a LP with PAF and Distortion +. It got stolen. I now have a Schecter with the same combo. What a difference over the stock PU's. Great sounding, long lasting. The + will tear up the front end of a Marshall.

luekemeyer

Reaction score
Yeah.... Super Distortions in a LP.. Running into a Marshall, nothing sounds better then that.