• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Anyone re-tolex a cab?

• Thread starter Supernova
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Supernova

Reaction score
I have a really old 2x12 cab I got for free a few years back when I bought an amp. It had a busted speaker but the frame seemed solid. I later checked and found it out that it was good quality birch and kept it, just to tinker with, replace speakers and re-tolex as a summer project.

That was 3 years ago, I was cleaning out the attic looking for some stuff and found that cab, and it re-sparked my interest. How difficult can it be?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k7rDs4F4qs]How To DIY Recover / Tolex a Guitar Amp Cabinet Complete Guide w/ Peavey 5150 - YouTube[/ame]

Doesn't look too hard....but surely it can't be that easy

Stupid question 1st, wire the speakers or tolex the cab first?

Sensible question next, anyone know a seller in Europe, predictably Ireland or the UK, that stocks tolex and grill cloth

Question 3, what's your favourite colour scheme?

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Quick internet search should find the correct tolex. Fitting it doesn't look like rocket science. :)

Doug_1970

Reaction score
I've never tried it myself, but have seen some dreadful DIY efforts.

Whilst not rocket science, I suspect it's one of those things that look really easy when you're watching a video of someone who's done it hundreds of times before, but once you get your roll of tolex and bottle of glue out, will find out that there's a bit more to it.

Supernova

Reaction score
bump.jpg

Blacque Jacque

Reaction score
1. Tolex first, you'll want the baffle out & strip it down anyway to re-Tolex it. Wiring is the last thing you'll do before screwing the back on again.
2. Solsound is your man for Tolex, genuine stuff ;)
3. Several, red, white, orange, purple etc. Can't go wrong with good old black though.

Nope, I ain't done it yet, but I'm going to;
http://www.marshallforum.com/marshall-amps/42227-headbox-re-tolex-what-colour.html

Ghostman

Reaction score
I used to do car audio and built a lot of sub boxes which are close. I did build a combo amp cabinet when I had this crazy notion of building my own amp. I covered it with grey elephant skin vinyl. It turned out really good. But I've covered hundreds of boxes with vinyl and you can do some really cool things with that. I've never worked with Tolex though but its a bit tougher than vinyl. A high-quality vinyl can be worked in extremely difficult places with a touch of a heat gun/hair dryer. It's fun to play with though. Someday I'll do it again! :D

Medic1167

Reaction score
3m sells a spray adhesive that works well but doesn't give you much time before it sets up.
I have had great results with the stuff Mojo Musical Supply sells. I bought a quart size can and have done a 2x12 and 2- 1x12 cabinets and have only used a little over half the can.
I put it on with a roller and gives me at least 15 min to put the tolex down and move it around before the glues sets. Another bonus is it doesn't smell nasty or give me a headache like other adhesives I've used.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have tolexed many cabs, heads and combos.
It is not really difficult if you have the proper tools and a good understanding of your limits.

The glue I use is common vinyl floor adhesive that is inexpensive. Less than $10 per quart. (I don't remember how it is measured...) I buy mine at Lowes or Home Depot. (hardware stores here in the US)

It doesn't set up fast, and is wicked strong. It works extremely well with the tolex I use, which is somewhat cloth-based rather than paper-based like some of the thinner stuff I have seen. I use staples to hold the tolex in place until the adhesive has a chance to set.

Personally I would avoid a spray-on adhesive such as Scotch 77, it is not really designed to hold tolex or other coverings such as this.

There are literally hundreds of videos and websites describing the methods people use as well as the materials they employ.

As others have said, you need to strip everything out of the cab or combo in order to prepare the surface and repair any anomalies. Also, I let my jobs set for at least a day or two before continuing with any re-installation of components.