Anyone still buy physical music?

• Thread starter RnFnR
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RnFnR

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone else out is still buying CD/Vinyl/cassette/etc or is everyone gone with digital and streaming? I have no desire to go with having a digital collection, and although it takes up more space and requires extra storage furniture, when I want to add music to my library I will find a way to get a physical copy of the music (CDs are my poison) instead of just adding it to a streaming subscription or app or YouTube. Don't get me wrong I do use those sites/apps as a free way to listen to music, and sometimes discover new bands, but when I like something, my instinct is to go and get it. Having something that physically takes up space is like an internal connection to owning and investing in the music that I like and want to support. If the power went off, I'd still have a killer music collection, ya know? (Granted no way to play it, but that's not the point).

Curious to know what other forum members here think, as the gear we're obsessed with enough to join a forum about is much in a similar world where tube amps are these physical things that take up real space, but there's so much of a modeling approach where you can "have it all" but when you look around the room, where's the Plexi or JCM800 or 4x12 cab?

There's an easier way to "have it" - but what do you really have?

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I buy music if:

it's good music
the files are not lossy

I buy LP's. I wouldn't mind reel-to-reel, if it was a viable format to purchase...

I don't buy mp3. I'll d/l mp3 for free, but rarely listen to them, because they cause ear fatigue. If I buy digital, it better be at least 96kHz/24bit...

Whatwhatringrang

Reaction score
I never buy digital files or how they sell music now. I guess I should as it would make having more music much easier.

I am a record,cassette and cd guy. Along with having a couple decent tube stereos to playback on . I briefly got into iPod for about 4 months many years ago. I like buying actual albums . I am a 🦕 But the digit new method does not do it for me.

I like cd’s as it easier to learn the music because of rewinding over and Over. It is hard to find vinyl with certain types of music without playing lots of money or where it actually sounds better than a properly done cd or tape.

Like stereos of Analog type and speakers .

Last edited:

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I buy music if:

it's good music
the files are not lossy

I buy LP's. I wouldn't mind reel-to-reel, if it was a viable format to purchase...

I don't buy mp3. I'll d/l mp3 for free, but rarely listen to them, because they cause ear fatigue. If I buy digital, it better be at least 96kHz/24bit...

Actually... if you go to Amazon music, you can download some really good quality MP3's for about 99 cents apiece.

Better yet, just install Audacity, which is freeware, then find a YouTube video of the song you want in high quality, record it in real time, then export it to MP3 at a really high bandwidth.

But I didn't say that.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
I love vinyl albums. I don’t have many, maybe 40 I’d guess but I find you appreciate the album more by listening through the whole thing.
I use Apple Music and have around 40gb of music on my phone/computer. Sometimes I enjoy listening to something different and if I really enjoy it I’ll look out a vinyl copy.
Haven’t brought a cd in many many years and probably won’t anymore as love the sound of a record.
Don’t remember last time I had a cassette 😂
My favourite vinyl I own is Momentum by Steve Hackett

Here’s my list on Discogs

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
I still only buy physical copies of music. That's the only way I will buy and listen to music. I don't buy any digital downloads or stream at all. I use to have a big 600 + vinyl collection and a couple hundred cassettes I started collecting back in the 80's and my CD collection. I ditched my vinyl and cassette collection around 6-7 years ago and only have and buy CD's now. I still have a lot of CD's to buy to replace the vinyl and cassette versions I had.

Dblgun

Reaction score
Still buy CD's and vinyl when I find something that I want. I still have reel to reel, cassettes and 8 track. I'm an analog guy, I still have cars with point ignition and 8-tracks!

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I dont own music not for a long time. I get my music from the radio in my car and youtube in my house. :shrug:

Deftone

Reaction score
I don't buy anything from Amazon or Apple, no Mp3's. I love buying used CD's. They are cheap on Ebay or I go to the local used record store and buy CD's there.

Unfortunately, I sold all my vinyl years ago but my wife still has hers and there's some decent stuff in there.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
YouTube Music Premium has everything.

I collect vinyl of what I like and the rest something like portions of the Rolling Stones Top 500.

Vinyl owners usually have the best turntables, amps and speakers. Some Hifi tube amps make Soldano prices look like peanuts.

Last edited:

RnFnR

Reaction score
I love vinyl albums. I don’t have many, maybe 40 I’d guess but I find you appreciate the album more by listening through the whole thing.
I use Apple Music and have around 40gb of music on my phone/computer. Sometimes I enjoy listening to something different and if I really enjoy it I’ll look out a vinyl copy.
Haven’t brought a cd in many many years and probably won’t anymore as love the sound of a record.
Don’t remember last time I had a cassette 😂
My favourite vinyl I own is Momentum by Steve Hackett

Here’s my list on Discogs

Nice collection! I am on that site every few weeks it seems like browsing. We do have a few record shops left in the Toledo area, but the selections can be iffy. Happy to support small business and people trying to thin out their collections.

I completely agree with listening to an album straight through with the order the artist/producer/label intended it to be heard. Sometimes a track doesn't do it for me, but on the second or third pass it clicks and might become a favorite. Or when heard in the context of the album, it does something to break up the mood of there's been a few heavy tracks in a row. Others, a few seconds in and I know it's gonna be a keeper.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vinyl with Tubes! You'll hear things you never knew were there.

I'm probably getting close to 13,000 albums in my collection.

Several Reel to Reel decks and probably 2 to 400 tapes. Metal take up reels, ect.

Even though I prefer the old analog formats I still have a pretty good cd collection, and a 64g ipod, shit I even have a Sony Mini disc deck...how many remember them?

So while I have bought and collected digital formats, I never abandoned the old analog. When people were throwing albums and tapes out I was rehoming them.

Latest posts