Anyone using an od or dist pedal for your main dirt?

• Thread starter tjinca1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tjinca1

Reaction score
I just got a 2558 silver jubilee today and still trying to dial in a good tone. I've found a pretty good crunch tone, but could use more distortion for some songs and leads. What do you guys use to get that little extra?

And do any of you use a pedal on your clean channel for all of your distortion?

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
sitting on a surfin' board, when given a choice
I set my 800 up fairly dirty, then roll back for cleans. Roll up for dirt, and hit it with a boost pedal to go further. Into my amp, I like the Fulldrive 2 in CompCut, which makes it a 2-stage clean boost
It basically turns my neck pup into a thick fuzz.
I should add that I also use a Beano Boost that stacks with the drive side of the Fulldrive really nicely, or sounds great on its own. Basically, I mix and match 3 different boost pedals to get above the amp's overdrive which is my base tone.

Last edited:

V-man

Reaction score
What I love about my Marshalls is how I can (usually) get something great out of the box, and then I can get something else great with pedals.

Lately I have been slamming my 2550 Jubilee with my 1982 TC Electronics BLD or my Timmy.

Rodney

Reaction score
Have a Plexi 1959 Slp and as its way to loud for most gigs I can't crank it right up for natural OD/ Distortion so I have been using Vox Cooltron OD pedals with a great result

tjinca1

Reaction score
Are you guys using those pedals on the crunch or lead to get more dirt or clean channel to get all your dirt?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I have my amp set right on the verge of breakup, its really a semi-clean. I dont like or have a use for a pure clean. Then I use a Boss CE-7 eq for a light crunch and a Bad Monkey on top of that for a classic rock overdrive and switch over to my overdrive channel on top of that for heavy distortion or lead.

So to answer your question, I'm on my clean channel set to crunch mode and with pedals on top to get my dirt, and then go to my dirt channel to go heavier. So if you've found a good crunch on your amp as your starting point, get a good OD pedal to get various degrees of dirt, and roll your volume knob down for clean or get an EHX Pad Attenuator pedal to go clean if you'd rather go clean with your foot rather than by hand.

pavs

Reaction score
I use two in my pedal board. Boss SD-1 and MXR CAE MC-402. The Boss is for crunchy rhythm and the MXR for leads. The boost in the MXR is brilliant to lift the overall sound if needed.
\m/

Söulcaster

🎼🎵🎶☮️🇦🇺
VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope
But, I do use a MXR ZW-44 as a kind of compressor/EQ, to shape my amps tone. The AFD100 has plenty of gain on tap.

As someone already said I set my gain to what I need, roll off the geetar volume to clean it up and engage the FX loop boost for leads.

Putting an OD on a clean channel seems to defeat the purpose of owning a Marshall

Peace

pavs

Reaction score
I agree, the AFD is a beast. I also think of pedals as ways of colouring your sound a little don't over do it. Your core tone should reside in your amp not the pedals I think...

AudioWonderland

Reaction score
I just got a 2558 silver jubilee today and still trying to dial in a good tone. I've found a pretty good crunch tone, but could use more distortion for some songs and leads. What do you guys use to get that little extra?

I use pedals for my dirt. I have close to a dozen I choose from depending the track/amp/guitar I am using

cogr

Reaction score
I also use two (into a 74 superbass), a Marshall Guvnor for light overdrive and a Radial Tonebone Trimode for heavier distortion and boost for solos

elcid

Reaction score
My main pedal is an Analogman King of Tone for my Jubilee on the distorted channel. My KK and AFD don't need any pedals. I keep a Fulltone OCD and '69 mkII on my board for variety but rarely use them

Last edited:

tjinca1

Reaction score
I have my amp set right on the verge of breakup, its really a semi-clean. I dont like or have a use for a pure clean. Then I use a Boss CE-7 eq for a light crunch and a Bad Monkey on top of that for a classic rock overdrive and switch over to my overdrive channel on top of that for heavy distortion or lead.

So to answer your question, I'm on my clean channel set to crunch mode and with pedals on top to get my dirt, and then go to my dirt channel to go heavier. So if you've found a good crunch on your amp as your starting point, get a good OD pedal to get various degrees of dirt, and roll your volume knob down for clean or get an EHX Pad Attenuator pedal to go clean if you'd rather go clean with your foot rather than by hand.

This sounds like a plan, I'll try it. I have a Tim pedal, a keeley modded BD-2 and a Wampler Pinnacle. Just trying to figure out when and where to use them - if at all. I like the crunch of the Jubilee 2558, but need something extra to kick in for solos. And I also need a clean with a little breakup for blues. Trying to figure out how to get all of that without too much tap dancing.

Papus

Reaction score
Distortion should come from melting power tubes & preamp LOL
Pedals are for colour, not primary tone.

guitargoalie

Reaction score
i have a pod floorboard with quite a few dirt boxes i use for a boost but I always feel guilty that i'm not achieving that tone from the amp solely lol. I just use my dsl's crunch and lead1 modes and it's all the dirt i need.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
Hell no!

Stock JVM410H loaded with some mean ass preamp tubes and power amp tubes is powering up all my tones from pristine cleans to wicked high gain and everything in between.

Sidebrowns

Reaction score
Either an OD used as a boost or a clean boost can get you some more options or flavors while still keeping most of your amps tone. I use an OD pedal as a boost on my DSLs crunch channel which is set for clean with the slightest bit of breakup then the boost takes it to nice classic overdrive tone. Then I can switch to the lead channel for heavier songs and once again throw the boost on top of that for solos or especially heavy bits. You can probably get a similar situation going on with your jube, but I know it can be tricky with those amps to get a clean sound on the rhythm channel while still getting fat OD on the lead channel.

Bieling3

Reaction score
At lower volumes im using my BYOC Mouse rat clone and a ts9 turbo to get where I need to be with my bluebreaker ri. Next project on the list is to true bypass the Ibanez and put both pedals in a single housing. Its mainly a way to control over all volume, although I do like the extra gain I can throw in there...

Last edited: