• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Are marshall 1960's the best 4 x 12 cabs on market today?

• Thread starter usablefiber
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JSJ900

Reaction score
They're definately are the best looking, especially with Marshall heads. I don't have any problems with mine.

Mshayne

Reaction score
I like mine a lot and they are to going anywhere but I think Orange has a better overall sound, To be fair I have one A/B these two so its alI I have to compare with.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Here's my best sounding "412" cab. (Hee hee.)

Loaded with the new Eminence CV-75's.

004_zpsa630bd31.jpg

alexvstg

Reaction score
Hello all,

first post here...I own a Friedman 4 x12 cab with "greenbacks" on the top and V30's on the bottom...coupled with a YJM100,...it's sounds killer !!!

Peace,

Alexis.

Attachments

• IMG_2171.jpg
    IMG_2171.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 9

recto-robbie

Reaction score
hey all you 1960 cab pro's,,,, can any of you tell me what the speakers ohm rating is in the cabs stock. regardless of type of speaker used, what are the speakers rated at??? 8ohm's or 16 ohm's??? many thanks

anitoli

Reaction score

dreyn77

Reaction score
there's lots of perspectives on how to make a box for great sound. marshall chose 1 type and has tweeked it over the years.

I've tried a few models over the years. I kinda like the sound deaden from the MDF. otherwise those backward waves really hammer the forward moving waves from the speakers.

they're 2 different sounds (ply back and MDF/particle board back)

I've actually got a new cab made from solid pine and it's never had any speakers in it. so I've NO idea how it sounds.
you think I should try it?

It's got the 'highwatt' type vinyl covering, marshall grill cloth and a glued on chrome Framus logo on the front. all black color with peavey type handles and black metal corner protectors. it has the Fuchs style thin edges style.

A real 'bitza' cab. if I remodelled it I'd have to rip all the covering and cloth. so it might not be worth my while.

recto-robbie

Reaction score
Mono connection: 4 ohm left input, 16 ohm right input. You only use one input with this selection.
Stereo 8 ohm left input, 8 ohm right input.

http://www.surfwhammys.com/Marshall1960AV_Selector_Switch.jpg

Hey I appreciate it although I know this, my mind cant figure out what I need to know just by looking at the rear connection plate.

What I need to know is, there are 4 speakers in the cab.
what is each individual speaker ohm rating?
each speaker is 8ohm or 16ohm? in a stock 1960a cab.
thanks and sorry for any confusion

dreyn77

Reaction score
It's a 'b' cab.

I think all cabs work fine. the problems happen with the back waves of sound. do you really notice them? worry about them? need to shape them?

I think the marshall is more than 'well made' and it's built way over what the product needs to be.

there's an element of 'fun sound' with marshall quadbox design, in my opinion.

the best sound I've had was with the VHT design 6x12 and 1 horn speaker. but I don't recommend it. ;)
I enjoyed the Beheringer stereo quadbox and only sold it because a guy wanted the speakers and I thought chipboard wasn't anything special, but it's just different and heavy.
My pine cab is actually reasonably light.

wakjob

Reaction score
Modern 1960 cabs are far from the best built cabs on the market today. In fact they need some help via siliconing the interior seams & some extra bracing. They can be a nightmare to record with sometimes.

But, they have 'that' sound.

Bogner/Diezel, Orange, VHT/Fryette, Rivera, and of course Mesa are built like tanks.

NOGE

Reaction score
I thought about siliconing the insides of my cabs but how do I seal the back panel given that the interior vertical battens don't go all the way to the top?

soundboy57

Reaction score
why do you have one?

I don't:D

Having said that, you could do a lot worse than a modern Marshall cab.

But after playing 40 years, I tend to like the old geezer Marshall cabs...:cool:

1971 to 1978 are my favorites....for sentimental AND musical reasons...

(Shoulda bought George76's 1965 cab and restored it, though:wallbash:)

Photojazz

Reaction score
Land o'Marshall Law, at Guitarville and Drum City
There are of course many considerations for cabinet construction, and sound, including the drivers. It's difficult for me to believe that vintage 60s "drivers" inside cabinets are not about shot. There is speaker decay over time. Cabinet wise, maybe age helps them to season and sound good. I don't know.

I do know, that MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) is the chosen construct material for most DIY Audio speakers, from guys that build some of the best audio speakers and subwoofers money can't buy... If any of you are not familiar with the heavy DIY community for audio speaker building. There's a big community of audio DIYer's over at www.htguide.com/forum The Audio construction area is called Mission Possible there...

Doug

Latest posts