Are We Living in A Simulation?

• Thread starter Torren61
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Torren61

Reaction score
Are we living in a simulation? My first reaction would be to answer "Of course not." Then, I think about this:

That's Pong in case you don't know. 50 years later, we have this:

That's a 360* virtual reality space walk. It's interactive, btw, you can drag the screen around to see other things.

Now, humans have been on this planet for a long time. If we're not currently in a simulation, how much longer would it take to be able to create one that would be indistinguishable from reality to a consciousness inside that simulation? Where will we be with computer simulation technology if given another thousand years to develop it? Would it even take that long? Where will be be in another 100 years?

It's just a thought...

playloud

Reaction score
Well, I certainly agree that computer programs now are more "lifelike" than Atari games from the 70s...

But even assuming a computer program can "simulate" life to an arbitrary level of accuracy, why does it necessarily follow that our lives are simulations? A computer can repeat any arithmetic calculation I make, but that doesn't mean said calculation was made by a computer.

Or does it?

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
If placed into the simulation at birth, someone would have absolutely no idea that they're actually in a simulation because they have no reality to compare it to. 😉

Something else to consider, maybe WE are also part of a simulation. Nothing is real aside from the beings and computer that created our "reality" and our sense of existence and free thought. We're just ones and zeros/bits and bytes, like the Sims game. 😲

We'll never really know for certain.

Have a wonderful day. :D

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Good topic, dude ... I started a thread similar to this back in 2011:

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score
If it is a simulation and there isn't anything real in cost to the things I have me now and the situations I deal with, than I want to talk to someone in customer service. Because I should be getting a back rub right now from a Playboy bunny in her birthday suit, will drinking the finest champange, being fed fresh cherries dipped in dark chocolate from another bunny, with yet another one is on her knees polishing things off. Cause this is a raw deal otherwise.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
If placed into the simulation at birth, someone would have absolutely no idea that they're actually in a simulation because they have no reality to compare it to. 😉

Something else to consider, maybe WE are also part of a simulation. ...
No. This is real.

Here - watch it (starts at 1:30) until about 3:20 and I think you'll agree:

Last edited:

Torren61

Reaction score
If it is a simulation and there isn't anything real in cost to the things I have me now and the situations I deal with, than I want to talk to someone in customer service. Because I should be getting a back rub right now from a Playboy bunny in her birthday suit, will drinking the finest champange, being fed fresh cherries dipped in dark chocolate from another bunny, with yet another one is on her knees polishing things off. Cause this is a raw deal otherwise.

Reaction score
Are we living in a simulation? My first reaction would be to answer "Of course not." Then, I think about this:

That's Pong in case you don't know. 50 years later, we have this:

That's a 360* virtual reality space walk. It's interactive, btw, you can drag the screen around to see other things.

Now, humans have been on this planet for a long time. If we're not currently in a simulation, how much longer would it take to be able to create one that would be indistinguishable from reality to a consciousness inside that simulation? Where will we be with computer simulation technology if given another thousand years to develop it? Would it even take that long? Where will be be in another 100 years?

It's just a thought...

Well, I wish it would glitch, so I can get some more money to fix my truck and buy another amplifier. To start.

Old Punker

Reaction score

Something else to consider, maybe WE are also part of a simulation. Nothing is real aside from the beings and computer that created our "reality" and our sense of existence and free thought. We're just ones and zeros/bits and bytes, like the Sims game. 😲

We'll never really know for certain.

Have a wonderful day. :D
Exactly! No one can either prove/disprove the simulation hypothesis.

So whether we are in a simulation or not, this is the only reality we have.

That's why I've given up worrying about these BIG questions.

cc0e73f8-0020-4c7f-9564-da20f309622d-agent-smith.jpg

Rokinroller

Reaction score
What we have is as real as it gets . We can let imaginations run wild . Thats how we are . We get one crack at this awesome place . Its all we'll ever know . It does not last that long . Nothing else matters .

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
French philosopher Jean Baudrillard basically posed the same question, and built a case for it (his book Simulacra And Simulation explores this idea and is the partial basis for the film The Matrix-his book even makes a quick cameo if you look closely).

I'd think that we're getting closer to simulation (I think some people are already living in it by choice). But I wonder how accepting (and to what degree) people will accept this type of "reality." People seem to be amazed by the newest/most advanced technology (e.g. the new iPhone, self-driving vehicles, pilot-less rocket ships, etc.), which could be a hint at how receptive the coming generations will be with living in a simulated existence.

Hard to say what the reaction will be (people did reject "new" Coke after all).