Backing Track Comparison - 2203X, 1987XL, Jubilee 2555

• Thread starter dptone5
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which Marshall amp sounds best with this backing track?

• JCM 800 2203x

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Plexi 1987XL

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jubilee 2555

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

dptone5

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to get your thoughts on which amp sounds best against this particular backing track.

Please note - this was one rough take for each amp, so it's a mess from a playing perspective!! I just want some input on what amp is really working with this new Les Paul, so I have come to the experts!!

Signal chain:

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1960 (bridge pickup - 61T)
Xotic BB Pre-Amp (front end boost - no gain, just some volume to push amp a little)
Marshall amp
Suhr Reactive Load IR
Focusrite Clarett 4Pre
Logic Pro

For the JCM 800 and Jubilee, I used the Suhr 4x12 Greenback IR. For the Plexi 1987XL, I used the Celestion 4x12 Greenback IR. The Suhr was not as tight with the Plexi, and the low end was a little looser. The Celestion sounded better to my ears with the Plexi, but the Suhr sounded better with the other two.

As always, thanks for listening and any input you can provide!!

DP

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to get your thoughts on which amp sounds best against this particular backing track.

Please note - this was one rough take for each amp, so it's a mess from a playing perspective!! I just want some input on what amp is really working with this new Les Paul, so I have come to the experts!!

Signal chain:

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1960 (bridge pickup - 61T)
Xotic BB Pre-Amp (front end boost - no gain, just some volume to push amp a little)
Marshall amp
Suhr Reactive Load IR
Focusrite Clarett 4Pre
Logic Pro

For the JCM 800 and Jubilee, I used the Suhr 4x12 Greenback IR. For the Plexi 1987XL, I used the Celestion 4x12 Greenback IR. The Suhr was not as tight with the Plexi, and the low end was a little looser. The Celestion sounded better to my ears with the Plexi, but the Suhr sounded better with the other two.

As always, thanks for listening and any input you can provide!!

DP

I liked the plexi it sat best in the mix, the other two were just as good but had more low end that I didnt like as much, could be the cab difference.

dptone5

Reaction score
Thanks Pedecamp. The Suhr IR has more low end for sure. I also keep the bass fairly high on the amp. I had it on 6 on the Jubilee and 8 on the 2203x. I was thinking the same thing and perhaps I should back the bass down a bit when using that IR.

Geeze

Reaction score
Funny- I was all set to pick the 1987 before I heard anything. But with the backing track the smoothness [almost violin like at times] the 2555 impressed me. It sat in the mix very well not dominating it. The clarity of the 2203 was good. The rawness of the 1987 [what sets that amp apart] was tasty and would be my second choice.

All three amps were excellent and great playing too!

Russ

dptone5

Reaction score
I liked the 800 best.
I have to admit that my concentration was not on the treble end.
Thanks Tubes. That is my feeling overall as well. I thought the 800 overall is my favorite. I can add presence or treble, or lower the bass on the EQ, to lessen the low end.

dptone5

Reaction score
Funny- I was all set to pick the 1987 before I heard anything. But with the backing track the smoothness [almost violin like at times] the 2555 impressed me. It sat in the mix very well not dominating it. The clarity of the 2203 was good. The rawness of the 1987 [what sets that amp apart] was tasty and would be my second choice.

All three amps were excellent and great playing too!

Russ
Thanks Russ. Appreciate you listening and providing feedback. I agree that all 3 sound very good and they all have that Marshall tone, but with a slightly different flavor. I used to own 7 heads, but after messing with them for awhile, I sold 4 of them. The Plexi, Jubilee and 800 were keepers in my mind.

I really like this 2021 Gibson Les Paul Standard 1960 too. I have been a Strat, Super-Strat person for years, but this Les Paul plays and sounds great. But it is heavy!! :)

Michael Roe

Reaction score
The Jubilee is what I liked best. Any of them would do though. All 3 are Marshalls so, you got it covered. I personally thought the 800 sounded the worse, kind of muddy compared to the other two but, I always think 800s sound muddy.
If you make your own rhythm tracks, always add the Jubilee with any other Marshall amp....they just work.
Nice playing, BTW!

dptone5

Reaction score
Thanks Michael. I love the Jubilee for rhythm tracks too. The versatility and responsive EQ is hard to beat. And for low volume playing, it is clearly the best to me.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
As the others have posted. All 3 sound great, (nice playing as well) but I picked #3.
And I am a big fan of the 1987, and clip #1 was hard to let go , but I favored #3 the most..

Thanks for sharing your work brother!!

Mitch

dptone5

Reaction score
As the others have posted. All 3 sound great, (nice playing as well) but I picked #3.
And I am a big fan of the 1987, and clip #1 was hard to let go , but I favored #3 the most..

Thanks for sharing your work brother!!

Mitch
Thanks for listening and for the kind words Mitch!! Glad you liked the tracks!